ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 70
« First < 172324252627 2829303137 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:45 AM 03-21-2020
So I'm guessing everyone noticed this, but odds seem high that we'll get Picard's consciousness uploaded into an android body at season's end.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:40 AM 03-21-2020
Part of me is sad that this is a disappointment. I enjoyed the first JarJar Abrams Star Trek movie mainly for the interaction of the main characters. They at least tried to give a memory of the banter between the main characters. The second one was a slap in the face and the third has been forgotten.

Haven't watched Discovery or Picard. Didn't make it thru the first season of DS9. Got bored with the year long arcs of Enterprise. Voyager... I can't remember anything about it other than how tight Teri Ryan's uniform got.

I'm an old guy; I guess I just miss the optimism of the original show. There's so much negativity in the media, why do we need to put it into our entertainment?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:08 AM 03-21-2020
This isn't a disappointment but your post is.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:25 PM 03-21-2020
If you haven't watched it, then how is it a disappointment?
[Reply]
crayzkirk 04:07 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
If you haven't watched it, then how is it a disappointment?
Based on what others have said here, it doesn't sounds all that interesting to me. Various reviews have noted things such as every woman is a bad ass and every man is incompetent. That seems to be the current trend lately in our entertainment.

Star Wars anyone?

I suppose I'm just disappointed right now. Hoping to retire in a few years, that's kaput. Went to the store to get some food and people are hoarding. I guess situations like this just bring out the worst in people. Screw your neighbor.

Humans aren't rational animals, they are rationalizing animals...
[Reply]
listopencil 05:39 PM 03-21-2020
So I'm guessing everyone noticed this, but odds seem high that we'll get Picard's consciousness uploaded into an android body at season's end.

I think that depends on how many seasons they have. An android body for Picard since his own is dying would be reasonable. Seems like that's more of an end game for a series like this though. I guess they could do it as the cliff hanger. Have him die in the upcoming battle, everybody does the 'I'm so sad that Picard is dead' reaction speech. Last shot is an obviously Picard android in the creche.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:46 PM 03-21-2020
My guess is they showed that empty android shell for a reason, and there's been so much focus on Picard's deteriorating health. I don't know why they'd show that in the episode, and then wait two seasons (2nd is already greenlit, and 3rd is planned) to pay it off.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:50 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Based on what others have said here, it doesn't sounds all that interesting to me. Various reviews have noted things such as every woman is a bad ass and every man is incompetent. That seems to be the current trend lately in our entertainment.
Jesus fucking Christ all us white males need to get over this fucking victim complex. We were the apex in Hollywood for its entire existence, and now there's a couple of years where the pendulum spins the other way, where it's actually balanced a little more towards what genders and colors in the real world look like and it's "woe is me! It's so unfair!"
[Reply]
listopencil 05:59 PM 03-21-2020
My guess is they showed that empty android shell for a reason, and there's been so much focus on Picard's deteriorating health. I don't know why they'd show that in the episode, and then wait two seasons (2nd is already greenlit, and 3rd is planned) to pay it off.

OK. Then I'd expect it to be more of a multi season arc. If this show had been tight with quick storylines then I'd expect them to roll that out sooner, but this last episode makes it look like if one of them wants to walk a dog it'll be a three episode special event.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:09 PM 03-21-2020
Jesus fucking Christ all us white males need to get over this fucking victim complex. We were the apex in Hollywood for its entire existence, and now there's a couple of years where the pendulum spins the other way, where it's actually balanced a little more towards what genders and colors in the real world look like and it's "woe is me! It's so unfair!"

ST: DISC was a disappointment for many reasons. The Michael Burnham character was ridiculous. Just a horrible Mary Sue and the first season was bad fan fic. The way the 'new' Klingons were handled was incredibly stupid. The only decent character out out of the entire season was, of course, deemed to be 'evil.' It was garbage. The second season redeemed the series somewhat but they only did it by abandoning their nonsense and bullshit, and injecting some old school Trek with Pike and crew.

Woke Trek isn't laughable, stupid garbage simply because gender/ethnicity/sex are emphasized. Woke Trek is garbage because they are used in place of plot, theme, and character development.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:18 PM 03-21-2020
Not claiming men are victims. Star Trek has managed to show lots of women in powerful positions without having to resort to making the men look weak. Star Wars did the same. What about having strong characters without having to place emphasis on their gender or color?

Doctor Who anyone?
[Reply]
Bowser 11:38 AM 03-22-2020
Do you want to open a portal to Hell? Because that is how you open a portal to Hell.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:05 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Saw some Trekkies whining we haven't seen a single starfleet ship.

I'm gonna guess that ends pretty quick in the finale judging by the state of things.
I've particularly enjoyed seeing something outside of the traditional.

Admittedly, I'm enjoying this largely on nostalgia with the TNG crew, but it's really been an above average show for the most part. Oh, and 7 of 9 is as hot, or hotter than ever. Great genetics there.

I don't have high hopes for a great finish.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:51 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Pretty much no one in this thread has said that about Picard, and nor is it true of the show.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:18 PM 03-22-2020
Yeah Picard may not be a particularly good show so far but that has nothing to do with gender dynamics or the amount of strong female/male characters. If that's a thing, I have no idea where that discourse is coming from.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 70
« First < 172324252627 2829303137 > Last »
Up