ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 70
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Donger 01:20 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Not even TOS?!
No, but I have seen the movies by the original cast.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:23 PM 03-01-2020
To hell with Picard then. You've got a lot of catching up to do. TNG and DS9 are my favorites, but TOS, VOY, and ENT all have some very good episodes. As well as a lot of bad ones.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:46 PM 03-01-2020
TOS is the original series right? The whole second season is kinda bad, but you have to watch it because plot bits show up in all the other series. The first and third seasons are the best parts of TOS.

Wasn't a huge fan of the first couple seasons of either TNG or DS9, but they get better. Somewhere along the line, TNG starts doing way too many holodeck episodes, but overall the writing is decent to very good after the first couple seasons. With TNG the first episode or pilot is hard to sit through.

If you watch ENT, skip the last episode. It'll piss you off. Probably you can say the same thing about the last episode of VOY.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:52 PM 03-01-2020
I agree with Megatron for the most part. Season 1 is by far the best of TOS. I think overuse of the holodeck really became noticeable with VOY.

The last episode of ENT is an abomination, but season 4 is probably the strongest overall.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:59 PM 03-01-2020
I think I'm still about two episodes behind on Picard, but so far I like it. I was prepared to hate it, partly because I really decided that Discovery was mostly crap. But Picard has been steady. I might change my mind if they start with the holo-deck or time travel nonsense. And I'm not sure what I think about the Legolas character yet, but we'll see how he turns out.

By the way, are we to assume that 7-of-9 died in that last firefight? Because I'm just assuming they ended that scene the way they did to allow her to come back at some point. Kinda like Ziva in NCIS . . .
[Reply]
listopencil 04:18 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I think I'm still about two episodes behind on Picard, but so far I like it. I was prepared to hate it, partly because I really decided that Discovery was mostly crap. But Picard has been steady. I might change my mind if they start with the holo-deck or time travel nonsense. And I'm not sure what I think about the Legolas character yet, but we'll see how he turns out.

By the way, are we to assume that 7-of-9 died in that last firefight? Because I'm just assuming they ended that scene the way they did to allow her to come back at some point. Kinda like Ziva in NCIS . . .

I assumed that Seven slaughtered her way out of there and went back to being a ranger.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:22 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I assumed that Seven slaughtered her way out of there and went back to being a ranger.
That was my first thought. But the scene reminded me a little of the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, so I started wondering . . .
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:57 PM 03-01-2020
I just figured out what will happen with 7. She shot her way out of that bar, but is badly injured in the process. She makes it to a shuttle/ship and warps out of there, but has to put herself in suspended animation to survive her wounds. She is found by aliens (I know, big stretch, right?) and nurtured back to health. But the aliens 'reprogram' her a bit so that she becomes their champion. We'll see her return sometime next season with a new mission and a new look. Something classy like red and black hair and wearing a metal thong. Just the thong.

No, wait, also a metal bustier with nipple cups that shoot quantum phaser beams.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:21 PM 03-02-2020
I'm about to commit blasphemy. After 2.5 years of hearing how awful discovery is, I finally started watching season 1 on Saturday. And now I can't stop. I'm not sure what the collective beef is, but it hasn't been anything like what I expected (i.e. the worst trek show ever).

I love the premise, I love the characters, I love the storyline (through episode 11, at least...). I don't love the Klingons but I can let that go. Yeah, canon issues with tech and so on, but that happens when you're shooting a show in 2016 based on something from the 1960s.

I was expecting this super preachy social justice show that was really pretty but empty under the surface, but what I've seen is a dark, mature take on star trek with a pretty damned compelling story.

I like it more than Picard, so far.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:52 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I'm about to commit blasphemy. After 2.5 years of hearing how awful discovery is, I finally started watching season 1 on Saturday. And now I can't stop. I'm not sure what the collective beef is, but it hasn't been anything like what I expected (i.e. the worst trek show ever).

I love the premise, I love the characters, I love the storyline (through episode 11, at least...). I don't love the Klingons but I can let that go. Yeah, canon issues with tech and so on, but that happens when you're shooting a show in 2016 based on something from the 1960s.

I was expecting this super preachy social justice show that was really pretty but empty under the surface, but what I've seen is a dark, mature take on star trek with a pretty damned compelling story.

I like it more than Picard, so far.
Hmm...you might have sold me on it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:20 PM 03-02-2020
Part of what I dislike about Discovery is that for the 4 billionth time we’re back in the Evil Federation universe. Chuck the social justice nonsense on top and top it off with the stupid new Klingons and I just got annoyed more with every episode. But if you can ignore that stuff, it’s okay.
[Reply]
unlurking 10:24 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Part of what I dislike about Discovery is that for the 4 billionth time we’re back in the Evil Federation universe. Chuck the social justice nonsense on top and top it off with the stupid new Klingons and I just got annoyed more with every episode. But if you can ignore that stuff, it’s okay.
Still gotta get past the insanely annoying Burnam. Ugh. Even Tilly is a better character. Discovery season 1 was just terrible.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:27 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Still gotta get past the insanely annoying Burnam. Ugh. Even Tilly is a better character. Discovery season 1 was just terrible.
My favorite character from Season 1 was Lorca, which should pretty much tell you how I feel about the rest of them.
[Reply]
listopencil 01:43 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My favorite character from Season 1 was Lorca, which should pretty much tell you how I feel about the rest of them.

Well...Lorca was the best thing about season one until they ruined his arc by
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frazod 09:23 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Well...Lorca was the best thing about season one until they ruined his arc by
Spoiler!
Yeah, I know. Right up until that I was thinking "finally, a Star Fleet captain with some balls." :-)
[Reply]
Page 21 of 70
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up