ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>APEX: The Secret Race Across America
OnTheWarpath15 07:51 PM 04-27-2020
On Amazon, but you have to purchase it or find a torrent.

History of the US Express/Cannonball Run races from Coast-to-Coast, plus documentation of a 2006? attempt to break the 1983 record of 32 hours, 7 minutes.

Fun watch, worth the $14 IMO.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 07:11 PM 04-29-2020
Damn, I figured some of you would really be into this.

Crickets.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:34 PM 04-29-2020
Someone brought this up in another thread (movie thread?) and it piqued my interest, but I completely forgot about it. So thanks for the reminder and adding yet another must see watch to my already over bloated queue of shit waiting to be watched, lol.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:19 PM 04-29-2020
How much is revealing/interesting if you're already up on the stuff already out there, magazine articles, VINwiki, etc?

Also, and I'm sure the doc didn't cover it, but did you see that the record was almost immediately broken during quarantine?
[Reply]
chefsos 10:52 PM 04-29-2020
I remember reading Brock Yates' inaugural Cannonball article in Car & Driver, before it was a stupid Burt Reynolds movie. Yates himself was the winning co-driver almost entirely due to the presence of the other guy in the car: Dan Gurney, who's on the short list of American racing GOAT if not out-and-out #1.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 04:56 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
How much is revealing/interesting if you're already up on the stuff already out there, magazine articles, VINwiki, etc?

Also, and I'm sure the doc didn't cover it, but did you see that the record was almost immediately broken during quarantine?
If you're well read on the subject I doubt there's much you'd learn - it mostly follows Alex Roy's attempt in 2006. IIRC, it was released in 2013 so nowhere near current in regards to the newest record.

I know it's under 30 hours, which is insane - but don't know of the current time.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:58 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
If you're well read on the subject I doubt there's much you'd learn - it mostly follows Alex Roy's attempt in 2006. IIRC, it was released in 2013 so nowhere near current in regards to the newest record.

I know it's under 30 hours, which is insane - but don't know of the current time.
26:38

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...d-coronavirus/

[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:01 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by chefsos:
I remember reading Brock Yates' inaugural Cannonball article in Car & Driver, before it was a stupid Burt Reynolds movie. Yates himself was the winning co-driver almost entirely due to the presence of the other guy in the car: Dan Gurney, who's on the short list of American racing GOAT if not out-and-out #1.
By stupid Burt Reynolds movie, of course you mean all-time classic. . . .:-)

And can't miss an opportunity to tout my favorite mix of 12 cylinders and Ray Stevens.

Can't swear to it, but @2:03 might have been my first public erection. Right there in Red Bridge AMC. . . . :-) :-)

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:03 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
26:38

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...d-coronavirus/

I mean, that's stupid fast, but personally I wouldn't count it.
[Reply]
Up