ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 471 of 791
« First < 371421461467468469470471 472473474475481521571 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:04 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Well, if it's gonna be bad then no matter what, may as well push in now while you can.

Seriously, they've got a year or 2 before it's gonna dry up with his extension.

This is why I argued that the year on the bench was killer for the rookie deal. That was a lost year.
Because it's gonna be a lot worse if you push in.

2021 and beyond are gonna be a little tricky any way to stack it. But it's gonna be a LOT tricky if you overload the next few years.

And Mahomes is a force multiplier but eventually you hit a tipping point where you're asking him to multiply by zero. I don't think he needs a super-team to win a championship. But lets quantify a squad and say he can win with a '70' ranked Madden team that adds him at QB. And by pushing in, you can get that team up to 90 over the coming years. Well you also greatly increase the odds of it dropping to 60 thereafter.

I'll take 6 years between 75-80 over a handful of years at 85-90 and a handful more at 55-60.

Mahomes doesn't need a monster around him. But what he needs is a credible team and as many bites at the apples as we can give him. If trying to build the monster takes away a couple bites at the apple, when he may well have been able to win with the credible team to begin with, it's not a trade I'm willing to make.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:04 PM 03-13-2019
It’s official!! Free agency begins now!!
[Reply]
O.city 02:06 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Because it's gonna be a lot worse if you push in.

2021 and beyond are gonna be a little tricky any way to stack it. But it's gonna be a LOT tricky if you overload the next few years.

And Mahomes is a force multiplier but eventually you hit a tipping point where you're asking him to multiply by zero. I don't think he needs a super-team to win a championship. But lets quantify a squad and say he can win with a '70' ranked Madden team that adds him at QB. And by pushing in, you can get that team up to 90 over the coming years. Well you also greatly increase the odds of it dropping to 60 thereafter.

I'll take 6 years between 75-80 over a handful of years at 85-90 and a handful more at 55-60.

Mahomes doesn't need a monster around him. But what he needs is a credible team and as many bites at the apples as we can give him. If trying to build the monster takes away a couple bites at the apple, when he may well have been able to win with the credible team to begin with, it's not a trade I'm willing to make.
In theory, I get it. But that's also projecting out that far ahead in a league that's a "2 years and we'll see" contractual one. Other than QB that is.

They're still going to have draft picks to get some of this cheap labor which is ultimately what will sink or float the whole operation.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:08 PM 03-13-2019

Dolphins making a push to sign Teddy Bridgewater before NOLA can close the deal, per our @diannaESPN. Bridgewater is from Miami, and Dolphins do have a starting job open.

— Cameron Wolfe (@CameronWolfe) March 13, 2019

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:09 PM 03-13-2019
The flip side though, is you never truly push in to win out of fear and end up with what, Dan Marino?

At some point, winning takes precedence right? I mean if not, whats the point?
But Dan Marino was undercut by lousy team-building.

That wasn't even a cap-era, that was just a shitty franchise. The Dolphins didn't do a half-assed job of trying to build around Marino, they did a poor one.

I don't think this is any kind of either/or situation. A lot of people point to the Seahawks as the 'balls or bust, then rebuild' model and that's an understandable goal. But it doesn't take much at all for that to turn into the Colts model where you piss away Luck and then spend several years trying to find your way back to sea level.

I'll take what the Giants and Steelers have done. They simply kept going out there and tried to put their best pieces around their top quarterback without sacrificing the future for the now. The Broncos did it with Elway, the 49ers with Montana.

There aren't a lot of teams that have pushed 'all-in' and have great stories to tell because of it.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:09 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I’d rather grab a couple of DEs in the draft and hope you hit on one.
Veach is gonna package some picks and move up in R2 to pick Omenihu. Calling it now...
[Reply]
Mecca 02:09 PM 03-13-2019
I think we should just look for some solid 2nd and 3rd tier guys to make the defense solid. Hopefully hit in the draft and move from there.

Like Jamie Collins and Markus Golden are a couple of guys I'd be interested in bringing in...maybe toss a 2 year prove style deal at Verrett just because I think having another CB before the draft is important.

This team doesn't need to go for a huge money guy, they need solid players that are scheme fits for this change over.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:10 PM 03-13-2019
In theory, I get it. But that's also projecting out that far ahead in a league that's a "2 years and we'll see" contractual one. Other than QB that is.

They're still going to have draft picks to get some of this cheap labor which is ultimately what will sink or float the whole operation.
At that level of contract, it's not '2 years and we'll see'. Not with those guarantees, not with those bonuses.

Those are 4 year commitments, man. Guys that have fought themselves to the to top of the payscale aren't going to take deals you can get out of in 2 seasons.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:10 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Veach is gonna package some picks and move up in R2 to pick Omenihu. Calling it now...
Need to walk out of this draft with Adderly, think he will be a star with his skills.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:11 PM 03-13-2019
Yeah you can’t really use Dan Marino as an example. He had been in the league a decade when the first Plan B free agent period started. He played in a completely different era.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:11 PM 03-13-2019
Gronk sounds like he will play in 2019
[Reply]
O.city 02:12 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But Dan Marino was undercut by lousy team-building.

That wasn't even a cap-era, that was just a shitty franchise. The Dolphins didn't do a half-assed job of trying to build around Marino, they did a poor one.

I don't think this is any kind of either/or situation. A lot of people point to the Seahawks as the 'balls or bust, then rebuild' model and that's an understandable goal. But it doesn't take much at all for that to turn into the Colts model where you piss away Luck and then spend several years trying to find your way back to sea level.

I'll take what the Giants and Steelers have done. They simply kept going out there and tried to put their best pieces around their top quarterback without sacrificing the future for the now. The Broncos did it with Elway, the 49ers with Montana.

There aren't a lot of teams that have pushed 'all-in' and have great stories to tell because of it.
You also have situations where you didn't win it in a year or have had Rogers for however long and have 1 SB.

I don't think you have to get crazy with it to give yourself a better chance than we have right now, but we'll see.
[Reply]
YontsRBake 02:12 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Need to walk out of this draft with Adderly, think he will be a star with his skills.
Any possibility Devin Bush gets to us at 29? Id like him above anyone else.

Maybe we can also get Ximines in the 2nd round to replace Ford.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:13 PM 03-13-2019
Or a CB. Adderly depends on how they plan to employ Honey Badger. Adderly is a true FS who could excel in that role.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:13 PM 03-13-2019
I think we should just look for some solid 2nd and 3rd tier guys to make the defense solid. Hopefully hit in the draft and move from there.

Like Jamie Collins and Markus Golden are a couple of guys I'd be interested in bringing in...maybe toss a 2 year prove style deal at Verrett just because I think having another CB before the draft is important.

This team doesn't need to go for a huge money guy, they need solid players that are scheme fits for this change over.
Also a worthwhile point.

Throwing scads of money at a defense when we don't even know what kind of impact the coaching/scheme change is going to make is crazy. Who knows, maybe Spags can take average talent and make an average defense from it and we can get it all to gel by the post-season and kick ass.

Maybe Speaks and K-Pass are actually less shitty in a 4-3. Maybe DoD and Hitchens can form a foundation in the LB corps.

We're simply way too early in this process, IMO, to tie our hands to deals that we cannot reasonably escape in 3 or 4 seasons and that's exactly what it would take to get Clowney or Lawrence to sign long-term.
[Reply]
Page 471 of 791
« First < 371421461467468469470471 472473474475481521571 > Last »
Up