ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 107 of 153
« First < 75797103104105106107 108109110111117 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Hammock Parties 08:33 PM 10-04-2018
Jon Favreau is directing this live-action TV series.

Looks TIGHT.

Originally Posted by :
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun!

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode.

Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

[Reply]
Frazod 06:44 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Well, that's disappointing. I suppose we'll stop where we're at then.
We'll soldier on without you.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:57 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
:-)
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:25 AM 01-01-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Lol
[Reply]
bowener 03:14 PM 01-04-2021
Well, that's disappointing. I suppose we'll stop where we're at then.
Out of curiosity may I ask what your top 2 or 3 favorite shows are?
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:12 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by bowener:
Out of curiosity may I ask what your top 2 or 3 favorite shows are?

Hmm...that's tough. I like a lot of older shows mainly. I like the original Twilight Zone quite a bit. I'm a fan of the older Trek shows, TNG and DS9 in particular. I like Gunsmoke both on tv and on radio. Breaking Bad is probably the newest show that I've really enjoyed; it was fantastic. Let's see...I also like the original run of Columbo, the first 8 or 9 seasons of The Simpsons. Those are some of the shows I can usually watch again and again.

As I said, my main problem with The Mandalorian is that all the plots (that I watched) are very familiar to me.

In five episodes you have:

- Hired gunman turns against his employer plot
- Killer becomes protector of the defenseless.(Lonewolf & Cub redux)
- Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven save the village plot
- Inevitable betrayal by younger partner plot

I do think this is the best SW product since the mid 80s. the production values are fantasic. The eclectic guest stars are interesting. But if you grew up on a diet of westerns, both traditional and spaghetti, have seen the half-dozen Lone Wolf and Cub movies, The Mechanic (1976) and assorted Kurosawa flicks it's hard to not find the show a little predictable.

P.S. They should have had Werner Herzog direct an episode instead of being a guest star. You let him direct "Mandalor, the Wrath of God" featuring a cgi Klaus Kinski squeezing the shit out of Baby Yoda and I'll sign up for Disney+ in a heartbeat.

Edit: I said that I thought this was the best SW related thing I've come across, but that isn't true; I really like the original KOTOR game.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:07 PM 01-04-2021

[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:39 PM 01-04-2021
Hmm...that's tough. I like a lot of older shows mainly. I like the original Twilight Zone quite a bit. I'm a fan of the older Trek shows, TNG and DS9 in particular. I like Gunsmoke both on tv and on radio. Breaking Bad is probably the newest show that I've really enjoyed; it was fantastic. Let's see...I also like the original run of Columbo, the first 8 or 9 seasons of The Simpsons. Those are some of the shows I can usually watch again and again.

As I said, my main problem with The Mandalorian is that all the plots (that I watched) are very familiar to me.

I do think this is the best SW product since the mid 80s. the production values are fantasic. The eclectic guest stars are interesting. But if you grew up on a diet of westerns, both traditional and spaghetti, have seen the half-dozen Lone Wolf and Cub movies, The Mechanic (1976) and assorted Kurosawa flicks it's hard to not find the show a little predictable.

P.S. They should have had Werner Herzog direct an episode instead of being a guest star. You let him direct "Mandalor, the Wrath of God" featuring a cgi Klaus Kinski squeezing the shit out of Baby Yoda and I'll sign up for Disney+ in a heartbeat.

Edit: I said that I thought this was the best SW related thing I've come across, but that isn't true; I really like the original KOTOR game.

Funny, I was thinking the very same thing. Of course, I'm an old man and have seen these same plots (westerns) since I was a kid, but I have honestly expected to see Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson and the rest of the cast to pop up again in the Magnificent Mandalorian............or, as known back in the early 60s - The Magnificent 7....:-)
[Reply]
Graystoke 10:06 PM 01-04-2021
Gawd dam that was fun. Loved this series.

Reading though this thread it’s obvious I really don’t know much about Star Wars characters and Star Wars history. Now that I have watched this I need to watch The Clone Wars and educate myself
[Reply]
bowener 08:20 AM 01-05-2021

Thanks! That's a damn good answer!

I'm only mid-thirties but I've watched countless westerns. I have no idea how many. My step-father loved westerns, and so I watched them with him, and now that he is gone I really miss those days. It was of course tit-for-tat and he had to watch all the Godzilla movies with me when they came on TNT MonsterVision. That was a big deal for me since I'd get to stay up late as a little kid... though truthfully we'd both pass out pretty early on.

Anyway, the point I am getting to is that when I watch The Mandalorian I feel a warm spot in my heart from all those tried and true well-used plots as they take me back to watching all those westerns.

Your list of shows overlaps with my own, apart from Columbo which I've never really watched, but am aware of. I am going to take a swing and probably miss but you may want to give a go at watching The Expanse. It's a damn good SciFi drama on Amazon Prime that in some ways combines The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and yes, even Columbo. It's got the seriousness of Breaking Bad, as well as a slow burn and character growth. It does start slow, but around episode 4 most people seem to get hooked.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:22 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by bowener:
Your list of shows overlaps with my own, apart from Columbo which I've never really watched, but am aware of. I am going to take a swing and probably miss but you may want to give a go at watching The Expanse. It's a damn good SciFi drama on Amazon Prime that in some ways combines The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and yes, even Columbo. It's got the seriousness of Breaking Bad, as well as a slow burn and character growth. It does start slow, but around episode 4 most people seem to get hooked.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about both the book and tv version of The Expanse. I really need to check it out.

Columbo is a little different than most detective shows; instead of a traditional "whodunit" it's more of a "howcatchem." You know who the killer is right from the start. The fun is in watching Columbo play a cat and mouse game with his suspect as he unravels the clues. What I like best about the show is how Columbo operates logically and methodically; he doesn't rely on high-tech forensics or make impossible to believe Sherlock Holmes style leaps in logic.

Some of my favorite episodes are "A Stitch in Crime" featuring Leonard Nimoy, "Swan Song" with Johnny Cash, "Any Old Port in the Storm" starring Donald Pleasance, and "Murder by the Book" with Jack Cassidy.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:45 PM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Funny, I was thinking the very same thing. Of course, I'm an old man and have seen these same plots (westerns) since I was a kid, but I have honestly expected to see Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson and the rest of the cast to pop up again in the Magnificent Mandalorian............or, as known back in the early 60s - The Magnificent 7....:-)

Or the true original The 7 Samurai
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:37 AM 01-09-2021
Binged the first 5 episodes of season one at a buddies house last night, and now truly get what all the hype is about

Its everything the shitty movies are not, genuinely capturing the look and feel of the first trilogy... great storytelling and it cuts the use of CGI in half, if not more

Also the way it brings back so many great characters and droids from the originals... Jawas, Sand People, the bounty droid and so much more

This should make all the people behind the new movies go kill themselves in shame, because this show is what Star Wars was all about

I Have Spoken.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:46 AM 01-09-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Binged the first 5 episodes of season one at a buddies house last night, and now truly get what all the hype is about

Its everything the shitty movies are not, genuinely capturing the look and feel of the first trilogy... great storytelling and it cuts the use of CGI in half, if not more

Also the way it brings back so many great characters and droids from the originals... Jawas, Sand People, the bounty droid and so much more

This should make all the people behind the new movies go kill themselves in shame, because this show is what Star Wars was all about

I Have Spoken.
Who could have guessed putting a pair of guys in charge of a live action Star Wars commodity that are as hardcore fans/nerds when it comes to the story and lore of SW as any of us out there would turn out so absolutely satisfying?

[Reply]
Easy 6 10:54 AM 01-09-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Who could have guessed putting a pair of guys in charge of a live action Star Wars commodity that are as hardcore fans/nerds when it comes to the story and lore of SW as any of us out there would turn out so absolutely satisfying?

It really puts into perspective just how badly the new movies (sans Rogue One) botched it... I don't care how much money they made, they're straight trash by comparison
[Reply]
Bowser 11:01 AM 01-09-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
It really puts into perspective just how badly the new movies (sans Rogue One) botched it... I don't care how much money they made, they're straight trash by comparison
Rogue One and to a slightly lesser degree Solo were good to great films. The last 45 minutes of Rogue One are arguably some of the best Star Wars ever filmed, and Solo gets better with repeated viewing (for me, anyway).

And we all know why the Mouse Trilogy failed - for the exact opposite reasons The Mandalorian has been a runaway hit, and also KK or her minions weren't allowed creative input, thank goodness.
[Reply]
Page 107 of 153
« First < 75797103104105106107 108109110111117 > Last »
Up