ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 427 of 3903
« First < 327377417423424425426427 4284294304314374775279271427 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 03:02 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It would make me feel a little better, to be honest.

My white count is dogshit from chemo, but my regimen doesn't qualify me for white count boosters (granulocyte colony stimulating factor). We've had both of our day techs quit in a matter of a few weeks and we're a relatively small operation, so I would feel bad leaving the other guys in the lurch.

The clinical studies we provide drugs for have started shutting down en masse, and we started having elective patient cancellations today. I imagine it is only going to increase.

The good thing is that I'm located in the most secure facility in the county and I come in contact with very few people. With that said, I kind of just want to be with my family for the next few weeks while my girls are out of school.
Wow, sorry to hear it man. Hope you can be with your girls soon.
[Reply]
sedated 03:02 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
"90% of patients tested COVID-19 negative. 96% of control group tested positive after 6 days."

Its been a while since I've taken a science class, wtf does this mean?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:03 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
Yeah. For the most part, it's business like normal up here. I've noticed that traffic in and around the downtown area has been a LOT less than normal though. School has been closed for the last week, and is supposed to reopen on Monday. My two youngest are already bored out of their minds being home.

My oldest goes to school at MSUM. She's been home since the 13th, and they aren't going to open back up again until the 30th. I've still got to pay another 2.5k for her tuition, so if they are going to cancel the rest of the semester I wish they would let me know before I drop all that fucking change.

As far as what I know about the Post Office, we are considered essential employees. Even with a shutdown and/or quarantine, we'd still be out delivering. Makes sense because of all the medicines we deliver and checks people rely on. Everything we have been told is that we will be working regardless of what happens.
My daughter is at NDSU and is home.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:04 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
"90% of patients tested COVID-19 negative. 96% of control group tested positive after 6 days."

The people that didn't take any experimental shit still had coronas 6 days later.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:05 PM 03-18-2020

I'm assuming that they were giving it to people with confirmed cases, and after treatment, 90 percent of the folks who got the medicine no longer had it, while 96 percent of the people who were not given the medicine still had it.

That seems like a really good thing.
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:05 PM 03-18-2020
Here's the Elon Musk thread. Whatever you think of Musk you can bet that he associates with a lot more intelligent people than we do. Worth a read

Maybe worth considering chloroquine for C19 https://t.co/LEYob7Jofr

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 16, 2020

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:05 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Can someone please explain what this means to us that aren't smart vey good?
Hydroxychloroquine looks efficacious, but there are problems with the trial design.

First, trials need to have predictive power, which requires a given sample size. Their trial needed 48 patients for a predictive power of 85% (not great, not terrible) that hydroxychloroquine would be 50% efficacious in reducing the viral load by a week. They only had 42 patients. That is an issue.

Their numbers are far higher than that regarding efficacy, especially when adding azithromycin. The trial has major limitations--small sample size, didn't meet power, which could cause issues with the soundness of the data--> there's still a chance that even though their p-values are low, which is good, that the lack of patients means you're saying a difference exists when one actually doesn't).

They are open about the trial's limitations. With that said, those presenting with lower respiratory symptoms would be more likely to be helped by azithromycin, as it has been the standard of care for community acquired pnuemonia for years (to the point where it now needs to be augmented with beta-lactams in many populations due to overprescribing).

However, I'd also be curious to know the clinical significance of them testing negative on PCR of a nasopharyngeal swab versus a clinical cure. The groups aren't well matched (large age discrepancy between control and intervention group).

The study has issues, but hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are relatively safe drugs if you don't have certain rare disorders (G6PD deficiency or a prolonged QT interval). I'd be fine signing off on that order.
[Reply]
O.city 03:07 PM 03-18-2020

90% of patients that were given meds tested negative for the virus with (i'm guessing) throat swabs where as the control group IE the group that was given nothing were positive.

The control group were all young pts to if im' reading it correntlcy.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:07 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
Ok, Mr. Hysteria.

We are not hiding from it. Wife works for the airlines. Lives and people’s savings and businesses are being destroyed. I know many people who could lose everything.
Well, hopefully not their lives.

The country is trying to identify what’s working in other countries and replicate it.

Right now, the best proven response seems to be trying to stop the spread as early as we can through isolation so we don’t have what happened in Italy and other places happen on our front steps.

There are no perfect answers.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:10 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
If it's anything like Italy, pretty much everything but grocery stores and pharmacies get shut down.
Grocery stores, pharmacies and probably gas stations/convenience stores would stay open.

If it comes to that in the US, it will be interesting to see how narrowly grocery stores and pharmacies are defined.

Will places like Walmart, Target and Costco be allowed to remain open since they sell groceries and have pharmacies, or will only stand alone grocery stores/pharmacies such as Price Chopper, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Publix, CVS, Walgreens, etc. be allowed to remain open?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:10 PM 03-18-2020

According to @mnhealth "We have not seen clustering (Coronavirus cases) outside of households." Certainly welcome news for medical and long-term care facilities. Obviously hard to know outside of those locations because of testing restrictions. They reiterate: IF SICK, STAY HOME

— Kent Erdahl (@kenterdahl) March 18, 2020

We are also expecting snow this week so that will keep more people home.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:10 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Shit, Hamas, I thought you posted something about your wife being sick but maybe it was you all along and I had it all mixed up. I understand not throwing shit out on this board, but I hope you're getting along alright.
Nah, it was my wife, too. She just finished two years of targeted therapy last week. I was diagnosed with Stage III Hodgkin's Lymphoma in January. I started treatment about six weeks ago. Prognosis is good, but I'd be lying if I said these recent developments haven't made me a bit skittish.

I've been able to keep working through treatment, although days 3-7 after chemo have been pretty shitty. My hair finally started falling out last week, so I had my girls and wife buzz my head with dog clippers (because they carve through a hell of a lot more hair than a beard and mustache trimmer). Funny thing is, my hair is now growing again, but it will probably all fall out after the next treatment. I still have to shave, but only once a week or so instead of daily.

I should probably just shave a goatee in while I still have a beard so I can truly become a member of the inner circle.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:10 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
If it's anything like Italy, pretty much everything but grocery stores and pharmacies get shut down.
Food manufacturing will stay up and running as well.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:13 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
There is a MASH episode about Chloroquin and Primaquin (sp) for malaria and how it affects certain race groups. There were not allowed to give some to AFrican Americans because it made them feel worse. Klinger took it and felt worse. Found it it was bad for Mediterraneans too.

I know this is not 1952. but.....what is everything like today?
Still true. It's due to glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase deficiency. It is more prone to certain ethnic/racial groups. It causes lysis of red blood cells in people who take those drugs
[Reply]
oaklandhater 03:14 PM 03-18-2020

[Reply]
Page 427 of 3903
« First < 327377417423424425426427 4284294304314374775279271427 > Last »
Up