ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 338 of 341
« First < 238288328334335336337338 339340341 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 12:48 PM 01-04-2024
I use a few viper scopes on guns I run to 700 or so, will use them to 1000 if I absolutely want to. I really like the scopes, but typically after 7 I go up to better glass on my scopes.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:00 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Looking at a Vortex Viper HST; 6-24 w/ SFP

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...icle-EBR-1~MOA

Anybody have any experience with the Viper? I'm trying to figure out why this costs half what some of the high end ones do and the best I can figure is that the really spendy ones are going to be a little better in low light.

Any thoughts?

I have a couple. Pretty good scopes for the price, hold zero as well as most higher end scopes, good features, great warranty, but the glass is a bit cheaper, so beyond 600 yds you will start to notice.

I believe that the Viper series gets Japanese glass, so it’s an upgrade over the rest of their cheaper scopes.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:27 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by Perineum Ripper:
How far out will you be shooting?

They are good scopes, but glass is not as clear as some others. One you start pushing out, you go from looking at 2160P to 720P. Can still get it done, but it’s definitely not going to be the 4K you get the whole time with higher prices.

You get the features, just not high end glass.
Probably nothing over 300 yards until we get a horseback hunt put together someday but I'll need to get a lot more shots down range before I'm good enough for 1,000 yards money shots. Going to put it on my 7mm rem mag.

Buddy of mine can get outfitter pricing on it and it's out the door for $500. Seems a no brainer at that price but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since it was released about 10 years ago.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:35 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Did your parents have any kids that lived?
Actually no. My mom had 4 miscarriages. I was the only one who made it. The gift of god.
[Reply]
srvy 02:38 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
John Wall would smile dollar bils when I walked in..
I loved that place and John would give you a fair price. Enjoy that 700 Classic its a great rifle.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 04:01 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Probably nothing over 300 yards until we get a horseback hunt put together someday but I'll need to get a lot more shots down range before I'm good enough for 1,000 yards money shots. Going to put it on my 7mm rem mag.

Buddy of mine can get outfitter pricing on it and it's out the door for $500. Seems a no brainer at that price but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since it was released about 10 years ago.
For what you are wanting, definitely worth the price. Especially for hunting, it will do everything you need it to do.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:43 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by Perineum Ripper:
For what you are wanting, definitely worth the price. Especially for hunting, it will do everything you need it to do.
Yeah - it's a pure hunting scope. If I wanted a long-range target scope I'd look for a FFP setup. Ultimately I'm a good shot but by no means a great one; I'm far away from needing to worry about hitting the steel at 1,000 yards...

Man those ATN electronic scopes are sexy but seems like the Gen 5 is still having some real firmware problems and that's the last thing I'd want to deal with out in the field. That technology is still awfully new so I think I'll just stand down on one for now.

Maybe I'll use some big expensive hunt in Alaska or Russia as an excuse for one someday...
[Reply]
raybec 4 04:44 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Actually no. My mom had 4 miscarriages. I was the only one who made it. The gift of god.
God was cruel to your folks.
[Reply]
R Clark 06:47 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
God was cruel to your folks.
Damn kinda harsh
[Reply]
Delaney37 08:11 AM 01-05-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I have a couple. Pretty good scopes for the price, hold zero as well as most higher end scopes, good features, great warranty, but the glass is a bit cheaper, so beyond 600 yds you will start to notice.

I believe that the Viper series gets Japanese glass, so it’s an upgrade over the rest of their cheaper scopes.
I've had good luck with Vortex also. Hard to beat their warranty and their customer service is top notch. Another brand I'll throw out to check in to is Burris. Have been happy with their Fullfield line and recently purchased one of their Veracity's. Working on a couple of AR builds for some night hunting for coyotes. I've settled on this https://www.burrisoptics.com/thermal-optics/btc35-v2 Like the idea with the adapters to put in on any of my scopes and also doubles as a thermal monocular.
[Reply]
Delaney37 08:27 AM 01-05-2024
One of the Ars I'm thinking about listed above is a LR 308 using this https://www.nosler.com/308-wincheste...mmunition.html

Question I have is about twist rate for this round. Most AR 10 uppers and readily available barrels have a 1 in 10. I'm thinking with the weight and speed I would need maybe a 1 in 12 twist. The online twist calculators aren't much help. Hard to find twist readily available but plenty of custom barrel makers to do so. Appreciate any thoughts and opinions on my little dilemma.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:37 PM 01-05-2024
Originally Posted by Delaney37:
I've had good luck with Vortex also. Hard to beat their warranty and their customer service is top notch. Another brand I'll throw out to check in to is Burris. Have been happy with their Fullfield line and recently purchased one of their Veracity's. Working on a couple of AR builds for some night hunting for coyotes. I've settled on this https://www.burrisoptics.com/thermal-optics/btc35-v2 Like the idea with the adapters to put in on any of my scopes and also doubles as a thermal monocular.

Yeah, I've been a fan of Vortex for over a decade now. Started with a Crossfire, traded it in for a Diamondback. Bought another Diamondback, then traded that one in for a Viper about a year later. Think I have two Diamondbacks and two Vipers now. Pretty good scopes for the money, never had any issues of any kind with any of them.

I had a couple Burris scopes way back; they're pretty good budget scopes, imo.

Off and on I've thought about getting night scopes. But haven't been able to justify the cost vs. how much I'd probably use them. Working on getting a suppressor for my p-dog gun (hopefully i won't have to build another bullet for it), and might get another for my M&P that has a threaded barrel and my PCC.

Always more things on the list of 'need to have' than $$$, lol.
[Reply]
Delaney37 05:37 PM 01-05-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, I've been a fan of Vortex for over a decade now. Started with a Crossfire, traded it in for a Diamondback. Bought another Diamondback, then traded that one in for a Viper about a year later. Think I have two Diamondbacks and two Vipers now. Pretty good scopes for the money, never had any issues of any kind with any of them.

I had a couple Burris scopes way back; they're pretty good budget scopes, imo.

Off and on I've thought about getting night scopes. But haven't been able to justify the cost vs. how much I'd probably use them. Working on getting a suppressor for my p-dog gun (hopefully i won't have to build another bullet for it), and might get another for my M&P that has a threaded barrel and my PCC.

Always more things on the list of 'need to have' than $$$, lol.
Yeah the cost of thermal scopes is what steered me towards the clip-ons like the Burris or the AGM Rattler. I liked the whole of idea of clipping it to any scope and turning it in to a thermal sight and it doubling as a monocular for scanning. Chose the Burris over the AGM simply didn't like the buttons being on top like the Rattler. Looked to be clumsy to use when wearing winter gloves. Like you though my list of wants right now far outweigh the means but one can dream and set goals..lol...Thanks for the input!
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:57 AM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Delaney37:
One of the Ars I'm thinking about listed above is a LR 308 using this https://www.nosler.com/308-wincheste...mmunition.html

Question I have is about twist rate for this round. Most AR 10 uppers and readily available barrels have a 1 in 10. I'm thinking with the weight and speed I would need maybe a 1 in 12 twist. The online twist calculators aren't much help. Hard to find twist readily available but plenty of custom barrel makers to do so. Appreciate any thoughts and opinions on my little dilemma.
ask Larue. No one knows more than they do
[Reply]
Delaney37 09:09 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
ask Larue. No one knows more than they do
Thanks for the heads up about Larue. I've reached out to them along with Lilja, Mos-Tek barrel makers. Will also contact Nosler directly and see what they say about the best twist and barrel length for this round in an AR. Thanks again!
[Reply]
Page 338 of 341
« First < 238288328334335336337338 339340341 >
Up