ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft
RunKC 08:50 AM 04-03-2020
Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Originally Posted by :
KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Originally Posted by :

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:32 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
You could also look at the 2016 draft.

We moved out of the first and took Chris Jones. We still managed to grab Demarcus Robinson and Tyreek Hill later.

We also grabbed Parker Ehinger who we flipped for Ward.
I guess I had forgotten they moved out of the first again, thanks.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:59 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I still think they're luxuries when you see the holes we have at other positions, specifically LB and CB. I'm sure I'll get shit for spouting off yet again about the cornerback position, but the current state of the position is pretty dire and I think most people would agree. We have Ward and Fenton, that's it. Even if we sign Breeland, that's 3 guys. We absolutely need a cornerback that can contribute pretty much right away, and we don't have the cap room to address it in FA.

Linebacker has been a weakness for a while and while he wasn't exactly a playmaker, losing Ragland just makes the position worse. We still don't have a single linebacker on the roster who can adequately cover a runningback or tight end.

So yeah, I still think certain positions like WR are a luxury unless someone can come up with an explanation as to how the team will address cornerback and linebacker if they don't come out of the draft with each position addressed within the first 3-4 rounds.
I'm sure they'll draft a guy or two to play corner. They'll sign a guy or two as well.

And Fenton looked pretty damn good for a rookie. He'll be a better player for us than Fuller ever was.

Look, if CB is the right guy where we pick, then great take him. No one is saying not to.

But reaching for a player just because it's a "need" is how you build bad football teams. We've seen that time and time again.

And again, it's not a luxury, but an insurance policy. One that we WILL eventually need.

if they do take a WR early, and he blossoms, and Watkins leaves next season, you're going to be damn glad the Chiefs invested in a "luxury".

You take the BPA every time because the benefits far, far outweigh the negatives.

It's much better to have a good player that you don't "need" than to have a bad player that you can't use.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:09 PM 04-03-2020
I've expected them to trade down from #32 since they won the Superbowl.

There's WAY too much perimeter talent for the Chiefs to pass up and I'd love to see them grab a RB and WR within the first three rounds.

Regardless of their defensive holes, it's not a player or two away from being dominating unit, whereas adding a stellar rookie WR and RB might be enough to push this offense into the Greatest Of All Time conversation.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:11 PM 04-03-2020
I dont expect them to trade down. Havent had a 1st round pick in years now, given the cap situation that extra years valuable.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:22 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I dont expect them to trade down. Havent had a 1st round pick in years now, given the cap situation that extra years valuable.
Having an extra player taken on a rookie contract from the 3rd round for 4 years is more valuable than a single 5th year option. If the 1st round pick was good enough he'd likely be extended before the 5th year anyways
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:28 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
The new CBA treats 1st round players differently in the 5th year than in the old CBA and the cap hit is significantly different in the new version.

Also, not having a first round pick didn't hurt their Super Bowl run and if not for the offsides penalty in 2018, we'd probably be looking at a Chiefs team that won Back-To-Back titles.

Personally, I'd rather have two 2's and two 3's in this draft than a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:31 PM 04-03-2020
The Chiefs are in a great spot to repeat as champions. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Veach moved up and CP loses its mind.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:34 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I've expected them to trade down from #32 since they won the Superbowl.

There's WAY too much perimeter talent for the Chiefs to pass up and I'd love to see them grab a RB and WR within the first three rounds.

Regardless of their defensive holes, it's not a player or two away from being dominating unit, whereas adding a stellar rookie WR and RB might be enough to push this offense into the Greatest Of All Time conversation.
Why isn't the D a player or 2 away? The safeties are great, the DL is good/great. Ward and Fenton at CB are both solid. Hitchens, Wilson, and maybe Niemann/DOD make up most of a linebacker unit. I'd argue that the right picks at corner and linebacker could have the unit playing like a top 10 unit again by season end, barring significant injuries. The offense is already pretty much guaranteed to be top 5, especially if we can find some depth in rounds 3-5 at RB and IOL. If we trust that Hardman was a good pick last year, why would we need to use another high pick again on a receiver? And it's already been proven you can find good runningbacks in the middle rounds, it seems like a waste when we already have Williams and just need a solid #2 for him.
[Reply]
BigChiefFan 01:44 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I'm sure they'll draft a guy or two to play corner. They'll sign a guy or two as well.

And Fenton looked pretty damn good for a rookie. He'll be a better player for us than Fuller ever was.

Look, if CB is the right guy where we pick, then great take him. No one is saying not to.

But reaching for a player just because it's a "need" is how you build bad football teams. We've seen that time and time again.

And again, it's not a luxury, but an insurance policy. One that we WILL eventually need.

if they do take a WR early, and he blossoms, and Watkins leaves next season, you're going to be damn glad the Chiefs invested in a "luxury".

You take the BPA every time because the benefits far, far outweigh the negatives.

It's much better to have a good player that you don't "need" than to have a bad player that you can't use.
Killer post!!
[Reply]
MahiMike 01:48 PM 04-03-2020
Andy at the hotel room: "Press 1 to make a draft selection. Press 0 to order room service".

The pressure will be real.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:51 PM 04-03-2020
Why isn't the D a player or 2 away? The safeties are great, the DL is good/great. Ward and Fenton at CB are both solid. Hitchens, Wilson, and maybe Niemann/DOD make up most of a linebacker unit. I'd argue that the right picks at corner and linebacker could have the unit playing like a top 10 unit again by season end, barring significant injuries.
Why? Because they don't have "Elite" players at every position. They'll be a good defense in 2020 and definitely good enough to win another championship, but certainly not dominant. Adding another WR and RB would almost insure that this offense remains in the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

The offense is already pretty much guaranteed to be top 5, especially if we can find some depth in rounds 3-5 at RB and IOL. If we trust that Hardman was a good pick last year, why would we need to use another high pick again on a receiver? And it's already been proven you can find good runningbacks in the middle rounds, it seems like a waste when we already have Williams and just need a solid #2 for him.
Middle rounds? The Chiefs only have five selections at this time and it's better to draft BPA than overdraft a CB, Guard or LB.

With only 5 picks, the Chiefs don't have the luxury to draft for "depth". They need their first 3 picks (and hopefully 4th) to contribute almost immediately and it would be an absolute waste of critical resources to spend anything other than their 5th on depth.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:02 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Andy at the hotel room: "Press 1 to make a draft selection. Press 0 to order room service".

The pressure will be real.
:-)
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:06 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Why? Because they don't have "Elite" players at every position. They'll be a good defense in 2020 and definitely good enough to win another championship, but certainly not dominant. Adding another WR and RB would almost insure that this offense remains in the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

Middle rounds? The Chiefs only have five selections at this time and it's better to draft BPA than overdraft a CB, Guard or LB.

With only 5 picks, the Chiefs don't have the luxury to draft for "depth". They need their first 3 picks (and hopefully 4th) to contribute almost immediately and it would be an absolute waste of critical resources to spend anything other than their 5th on depth.
Well I'm on board with us trading down from #32, as you mentioned. I'd even be on board with trading a pick or two from next year to acquire an additional pick this year with the understanding that compensatory picks are coming our way.

I mean, I agree we shouldn't overdraft a CB, guard or LB. I just find it hard to believe that if we trade down and acquire an additional pick in the 3rd that we can't find a way to make BPA match up with at least 2 of of those positions.

And I guess I'm back to bitching about the lack of draft picks at cornerback yet again, and last year I was proven wrong about the positional group then. But at least we had bodies then. We don't even have enough warm bodies to throw at the position to field a defense right now. Rashad Fenton is the only corner we've drafted in the last 3 years, and luckily he's worked out well so far. Can you imagine ignoring the position for a 4th year in a row? Ward is also a RFA after next year as well and could be in line for a bigger contract next offseason if he finally puts it all together.

Either way, I'm fairly confident Veach will in fact draft a corner in the first 3 rounds. And I'm hoping a linebacker is in the mix as well, because that's another position we've largely ignored in the draft. It's not exactly surprising that we have positional weaknesses at CB, LB, and OL when the only player we've taken at any of those positions in the last 3 years has been Dorian O'Daniel, and he's a complete bust.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:22 PM 04-03-2020

One position that some believe would be worth even more investment on offense for the Chiefs would be running back. A pairing that seems to make sense is Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins if he’s available at pick 32. He’s a player they’ve FaceTimed with. One of the draft’s top backs.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) April 3, 2020

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:29 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:

The last part of the tweet will enrage AP's drooling mindless followers
[Reply]
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up