ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 518 of 791
« First < 18418468508514515516517518 519520521522528568618 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
O.city 10:14 AM 03-14-2019
Jones isnt' the complimentary guy anymore. Not that he necessarily was this year, but take those 2 outside guys away and things will change for him in terms of what offenses throw at him.

They need a lot more talent up front than they have at the moment.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:14 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yes you ****ing pay Chris Jones. You give him a 4 year deal instead of 5 or 6 so if the worst happens, you’re only ****ed for 2 years before the cap saving can start coming in for relief.
There's no way I'd sign a 4 year extension if I'm Jones. Not when I have a genuine argument to make as the 2nd best DT in football.

Now the Chiefs can make him play out this season (age 25) and then tag him at roughly $15.5 and then $19ish million and then let him out on the market for his age 28 season. At that point he'd probably be looking at deals in the 4 year range.

But A) To do that you need to get Hill extended because Hill will get the tag before Jones and B) You need to be sure he'll actually report on that tag. I suspect he would; it's almost always a bluff when they say they won't. But there's a risk associated with that as well.

Jones isn't gonna just sign a 4 year deal though. It's gonna take longer than that if you want him to simply bypass his shot at FA.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:14 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
We don't have anywhere near the 'edge talent' to run 2 or 3 man fronts.

The sub packages may well change around what we do with the LBs and secondary - in fact I fully expect that. But even the sub packages are likely looking at 4 down linemen. So unless you look to kick Jones out to DE and put Williams/Warm Body in the middle, he's not gonna get a lot of outside rushing opportunities. Fewer even than he got last season.

He's gonna spend a lot of time in the muck.
I was referencing what 3-4 teams use.

I know the Chiefs are strictly 4-2, 4-1.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:18 AM 03-14-2019
I feel like years won’t matter to Jones. He knows that less than 5% of non-QB’s get through the life of those contracts anyway.

Offer him the right guaranteed money and the guy will whip his long ass dick out and sign it quickly.
[Reply]
O.city 10:22 AM 03-14-2019
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/14/be...mpression=true

Some good players still out there.

Philon would be interesting.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:29 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I feel like years won’t matter to Jones. He knows that less than 5% of non-QB’s get through the life of those contracts anyway.

Offer him the right guaranteed money and the guy will whip his long ass dick out and sign it quickly.
But the years matter for cap purposes.

If he wants $60+ million in guarantees (and I suspect he will), that's an awfully tough thing to do over 4 years unless you just make it all guaranteed salary rather than trying to spread a bonus.

And man oh man, if you do that and he mails it in, you are so so fucked. There's not even a 'painful dead cap' measure you can take at that point. You just pray you can find some shitty team with a lot of cap space and a 3-4 defense that might be willing to take him off your hands for you if you also send them a 3rd round pick.

I'm not saying it's not a viable consideration. Maybe you do approach him with a 4 year, fully guaranteed $64 million extension that kicks in after his 2019 season. It's not completely crazy. But there are risks there as well.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:29 AM 03-14-2019
Pure speculation but from an espn.com article:

Originally Posted by :
The Chiefs could be preparing to do something big. Will they make a move for a pass-rusher?

Cutting Justin Houston and trading Dee Ford subtracted two top pass-rushers from Kansas City while clearing millions in cap space and creating a big need for pass-rush help. Could the Chiefs make a move for a top pass-rusher? DeMarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark and Jadeveon Clowney are pass-rushers on the franchise tag at the moment.
An exec walked me through a hypothetical trade he thought could make sense for both teams: Clark to the Chiefs for draft choices.

"I can see it because Seattle is in a quandary with Russell [Wilson] in the last year of his deal," this exec said. "You cannot tag Frank again next year. Are you going to tag him for one year, then let him walk and get a third-round comp pick a year later? Or do you just say, 'Screw it, we will get something good for him this year and save the cash.'"

Uttering the phrase "screw it" generally is not an ideal way to enter into an important decision, but if the Seahawks became convinced Clark planned to play out the franchise tag and force the team's hand, would a team like the Chiefs, with a relatively cheap quarterback on his rookie deal, meet the pass-rusher's contract demands? Seattle, with no second-round choice in its possession at present, could land a couple of them from Kansas City, or possibly a package including the Chiefs' first-round pick.

"I think the Seahawks would probably want to sign Clark," the exec said, "but I could absolutely see him getting traded because with Russell's situation, they are staring at possibly having Clark for only one season."
At the combine, this same exec said he could envision Houston trading Clowney if a long-term deal became elusive.

[Reply]
Best22 10:31 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Jones isnt' the complimentary guy anymore. Not that he necessarily was this year, but take those 2 outside guys away and things will change for him in terms of what offenses throw at him.

They need a lot more talent up front than they have at the moment.
Chris Jones didn’t start getting sacks until Justin Houston got hurt in week 5...
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:31 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Pure speculation but from an espn.com article:
why the hell would dee ford get a 2nd next year but frank clark is going to get a 1st or 2 twos
[Reply]
O.city 10:32 AM 03-14-2019
I'd rather have Clowney but I get some think he's overrated.

I think in this hybrid front the Chiefs are appearing to want to run, next to Jones, he'd be just unreal.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:33 AM 03-14-2019
Clark is Ford. Hell, Ford's ceiling is substantially higher than Clarks, though Clark's floor is safer.

What the hell is the point in moving Ford just to replace him with Clark? And I damn sure wouldn't take a 2020 2nd for Ford and then move twice that or more for Clark.

What makes Clark a fit here when Ford wasn't? If someone can explain that to me, I'll listen.
[Reply]
loochy 10:33 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
why the hell would dee ford get a 2nd next year but frank clark is going to get a 1st or 2 twos
Because not many people throughout the league valued Ford very highly?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:33 AM 03-14-2019
[Coller] Vikings are waiting on Everson Griffen or a Waynes trade. They have no money to spend. If they made a big move, they could chase after one of the better FAs still on the board.

Check if they'll take less just so they can get anybody left.
[Reply]
O.city 10:33 AM 03-14-2019
Could you imagine getting Clowney and Jones inside against guards and a center next to each other?

Yeesh.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:35 AM 03-14-2019
If they dumped Ford and then turn around and give up even more for Frank Clark? Well that would be dumb.
[Reply]
Page 518 of 791
« First < 18418468508514515516517518 519520521522528568618 > Last »
Up