ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 791
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128528 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:39 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Our defense was literally 'all time' 'statistically' bad - no room but to improve - the other components are 4/3 guys - Let's do this!
Well, yeah, but that’s why you move the shitty players. Not the good ones.

Again, I’m completely okay if they want to move on from Berry, Houston, or Ford. Just not ALL of them at once. That’s gonna piss players off, and it will make them question their goals. There’s a psychological aspect to it, IMO.
[Reply]
O.city 01:39 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Considering we had all 3 of them and we didn't make the Super Bowl (arguably DIRECTLY because of Ford) how does keeping them not equal punting on Super Bowl 54 aspirations?
We aren't in the AFC champ with HFA without Ford this year.

I don't know that he'll replicate it, but in terms of ability he should. It will come down to health.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:40 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I think getting rid of Ford, Houston, and Berry equals out to punting on any Super Bowl 54 aspirations. Could be wrong, but that’s what that would feel like to me. It just rocks the boat way too much for my liking with a team that was in the AFCCG just a month ago.

They already completely overhauled the defensive staff, and cutting those 3 loose then moves on from 2 of the 3 defensive players who actually played well in 2018, and a locker room favorite on top of it. It’d ruffle too many feathers IMO.

Keep one or two, and one of them will almost certainly be Ford.
I agree. We can’t just get rid of Dee Ford after what he did.

I get that he might get hurt, but getting rid of him and Houston means you have nothing proven at DE.

In order to sign someone even close to what Ford was last year, it would take a long term deal paying at least $18 million a year. I’d rather take my chances with Dee Ford for a year while drafting another rusher and having them +Speaks/Tanoh as insurance.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:40 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's football. Someone will get hurt. It's inevitable.

Sure, you'd like to lessen your chances on that, but with Fords ability to rush the passer and with how good our offense will be, that's pretty risky.
What is risky is relying on a player that has stayed healthy one year in the last 9.
[Reply]
O.city 01:40 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:

I get that he might get hurt, but getting rid of him and Houston means you have nothing proven at DE.

In order to sign someone even close to what Ford was last year, it would take a long term deal paying at least $18 million a year. I’d rather take my chances with Dee Ford for a year while drafting another rusher and having them +Speaks/Tanoh as insurance.
This is your likeliest scenario i'd imagine.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:41 PM 02-19-2019
Actually we'd have been in the Super Bowl without Ford.
[Reply]
O.city 01:41 PM 02-19-2019
What is risky is relying on a player that has stayed healthy one year in the last 9.
I don't really care about what happened 7 years ago, but he's definitely had a history with them.

Which is why i'd tag him and get him playing for a contract again.
[Reply]
O.city 01:42 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Actually we'd have been in the Super Bowl without Ford.
Nah.

As bad as the defense was with the guy, take away his sacks and forced fumbles.

They'd have ended up a wildcard or something.

He's got his flaws but he had a really good year last year.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:43 PM 02-19-2019
Ford is getting tagged.

#Chiefs reportedly going to franchise tag Dee Ford. He was a beast in 2018 and not just as a pass rusher. More of these plays to look forward to... pic.twitter.com/KoBFNdvq9t

— TOM MARTIN (@TomKCTV5) February 19, 2019

[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:43 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Exactly...

And Speaks and KPass might actually do a decent job with more development and Ford/Jones there to take some pressure off, attracting attention.

I wouldn’t put all my eggs into the Speaks/Tanoh basket, but I think it’s plausible that one of them steps up to a solid level.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:44 PM 02-19-2019

I don't know that he'll replicate it, but in terms of ability he should. It will come down to health.
Yep, it will come down to health. Good thing Ford has such a track record of staying healthy.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 01:45 PM 02-19-2019
I wish they could put a clause in that franchise tag that if he ever gets an offside penalty by lining up offsides then he gets cut immediately and all his pay goes back to the cap
[Reply]
O.city 01:45 PM 02-19-2019
Yep, it will come down to health. Good thing Ford has such a track record of staying healthy.
Well, when he's playing for a contract, we have a pretty good track record of it.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:46 PM 02-19-2019
Then what do we do?

That’s pretty much waving a white flag on this season. Pass rush was the best in the league on a shitty defense bc of 3 players and you get rid of 2 of them?

I don’t get that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:47 PM 02-19-2019
I don't really care about what happened 7 years ago, but he's definitely had a history with them.

Which is why i'd tag him and get him playing for a contract again.
The only reason 7 years ago is relevant is because he's literally NEVER been fully healthy until this past year.

3 knee injuries, a groin injury, a severe abdominal injury, 3 back injuries, 2 back surgeries. And that's just off the top of my head.

Counting on Dee Ford to repeat 2018 is the definition of wishful thinking. If you add in the fact that he'll have a guaranteed base salary of over $15M, it's borderline foolish.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 791
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128528 > Last »
Up