ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2402 of 3903
« First < 1402190223022352239223982399240024012402 240324042405240624122452250229023402 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 12:52 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I had some really bad allergies on Monday but A-OK now.

I thought I was a goner!

You had the 48 hr Rona.......
[Reply]
lewdog 12:57 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I had some really bad allergies on Monday but A-OK now.

I thought I was a goner!

Probably just tears from all your rejected dates.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:07 PM 06-24-2020
Get a load of the abstract these Chinese eggheads used reporting LIPITOR of all things staves off C-19 mortality.
[Reply]
kstater 01:08 PM 06-24-2020
Feds cutting funding for testing. So we got that going for us

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
petegz28 01:17 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Get a load of the abstract these Chinese eggheads used reporting LIPITOR of all things staves off C-19 mortality.
Actually there was a study several weeks ago done in this country stating very similar, that statins could help prevent getting Corona. It appears more studies are showing this is a circulatory disease and not a respiratory disease. Thus the study in the last 2 weeks about steroids helping severe cases.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:38 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Actually there was a study several weeks ago done in this country stating very similar, that statins could help prevent getting Corona. It appears more studies are showing this is a circulatory disease and not a respiratory disease. Thus the study in the last 2 weeks about steroids helping severe cases.
Steroids are used on ICU and respiratory patients all the time. This is confusing to me.

Not to mention the population that does the worst with Covid-19 are commonly on statins already due to prior conditions. Pretty much everyone with diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, history of stroke is on a statin.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:44 PM 06-24-2020
Findings from the Texas collegians who chartered a flight for the spring break trip to Cabo during the pandemic.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:46 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Steroids are used on ICU and respiratory patients all the time. This is confusing to me.

Not to mention the population that does the worst with Covid-19 are commonly on statins already due to prior conditions. Pretty much everyone with diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, history of stroke is on a statin.
Well I don't know what to tell you but it was all over the news.

Maybe you should call someone?

Could Statins Reduce the Severity of COVID-19?
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...ovid-19--67629

Major study finds common steroid reduces deaths among patients with severe Covid-19
https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/16/...vere-covid-19/
[Reply]
SupDock 01:54 PM 06-24-2020

Major study finds common steroid reduces deaths among patients with severe Covid-19

Just read an article reviewing the dexamethasone report

Clinical Take Home Point:*The findings of this well done randomized controlled trial indicate that in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, that dexamethasone improves 28d mortality compared to placebo in patients requiring IMV (NNT = 8.5) and those patients requiring oxygen therapy (NNT = 29).* There was no benefit to patients not requiring oxygenation support and even a signal for harm.* It is important to remember this is a preprint, preliminary report, which is better than a press release. At this time, in patients requiring any oxygen therapy, HFNC, NIV, IMV, or ECMO I would recommend dexamethasone until further evidence disproves this benefit.

So clinical improvement in mortality for patients on oxygent

Number needed to treat is 29 patients on oxygen
Number needed to treat is 8.5 patients on a ventilator.

Cool study.

I was just commenting on the fact that steroids are very commonly used in the ICU for respiratory conditions.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:55 PM 06-24-2020

Who would I need to call?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:58 PM 06-24-2020
Who would I need to call?
I don't know, the people who are doing these studies on apparently things that are already known???

Sorry, I am not trying to be a dick but it's like whenever a study comes out that says x will help there is a certain few people here who have the same almost Pavlovian responses to them.

You were kinda going that way without knowing of or reading about the studies you were already beginning to dismiss them.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:59 PM 06-24-2020
I don't know, the people who are doing these studies on apparently things that are already known???

Sorry, I am not trying to be a dick but it's like whenever a study comes out that says x will help there is a certain few people here who have the same almost Pavlovian responses to them.

You were kinda going that way without knowing of or reading about the studies you were already beginning to dismiss them.
This is literally how scientific consensus is built. Always assume every study is bullshit until 1) it's been peer-reviewed and 2) there are other studies to reach the same conclusions.
[Reply]
SupDock 02:00 PM 06-24-2020

You misunderstood what I said.

I am saying that I suspect a lot of people treated for Covid in ICUs were already treated with dexamethasone, not that the dexamethasone didn't help.

I am also saying that people who are elderly and do worse with Covid-19 are commonly on statins already. I'm not saying that statins don't help.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:03 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
This is literally how scientific consensus is built. Always assume every study is bullshit until 1) it's been peer-reviewed and 2) there are other studies to reach the same conclusions.
Yeah, starting off with a closed mind is always a helpful tactic....
[Reply]
petegz28 02:04 PM 06-24-2020
You misunderstood what I said.

I am saying that I suspect a lot of people treated for Covid in ICUs were already treated with dexamethasone, not that the dexamethasone didn't help.

I am also saying that people who are elderly and do worse with Covid-19 are commonly on statins already. I'm not saying that statins don't help.
Fair enough.
[Reply]
Page 2402 of 3903
« First < 1402190223022352239223982399240024012402 240324042405240624122452250229023402 > Last »
Up