ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 361
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
unlurking 09:00 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't think anyone really knows. Musk did indicate on a call last night, though, that he doesn't think this one will ever fly again. I don't know what kind of museum can hold a 14-story rocket, but he seemed to think that's where it ultimately belongs.

That said, I bet that they at least fill it back up at some point and static fire it just to see what happens.
Would love to see Udvar Hazy expand and hang it from the ceiling.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:07 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Would love to see Udvar Hazy expand and hang it from the ceiling.
That would be badass. I love that place.

-----

Shamelessly stolen from reddit, this is a nice summary of all the stuff that's in the works for 2016. It's missing a few things (like a space suit reveal), but it covers most of the big stuff.

--

In any long-term program, the real value of an achievement along the way is the forward momentum it carries toward the next one, and the next, and the next. When I see SpaceX take another step forward, I'm not awed as much (though of course quite a lot) by the accomplishment itself so much as what further accomplishments it unlocks - to crest the local hill and see a larger context laid out beyond.

To the best of my knowledge and research, we (the interested public) have the following to look forward to in the near future (though they may occur in different orders):
  1. Ground test-fires of the recovered Falcon 9 first stage. Elon Musk said that it probably will not be launched again due to its historic significance, but we can fairly assume that it will be fired again on the ground to discover how its flight has impacted further operability. Hopefully the impressions gleaned from that data will be publicized.
  2. The next stage landing, of either sort (land or barge). With the Full Thrust version of the Merlin 1D engines, all flights - including high-energy ones to geosynchronous orbits - are capable of returning stages, so likely we will not have to wait long. The second will cement the first as the beginning of a long-term practical program rather than a purely experimental achievement. It will depend on what the tests of the first landed stage find whether the second one goes back up, which is probably a very optimistic scenario, but we can say it's at least a plausible outcome.
  3. The first barge-landed stage (may or may not be same achievement as #2). Elon has said that the center core of the Falcon Heavy will be going too fast at separation to return to launch site, so barge landing will be required once FH flights begin. No comment has been made on whether he intends to stick a barge landing before doing the FH maiden flight or is fine with using that flight as just another test, but neither case would be surprising.
  4. Falcon Heavy maiden flight, planned for 2016 (may be coincident with #3). FH will be the most powerful rocket in the world, and less powerful only than retired historical rockets. While not as powerful as Saturn V had been, FH is indeed a Moon rocket and (we can hope) will be used as such by someone, though that's beyond the "near future" time horizon.
    Each FH flight also has the benefit of simultaneously providing three stages for landing and potential reusability, so attempting to land three stages at roughly the same time (separated only by minutes) will be another highlight of the maiden flight. As far as I've seen, it hasn't been made clear if any of the stages from an FH might be reused in single-core launches, but that's a question worth watching out for.
  5. Launch of BEAM to ISS. One area of the space industry that SpaceX has chosen not to enter (yet) is destinations and habitats, which is an area that Bigelow Aerospace has been specializing in since its inception. As a developer of inflatable habitats, which can be used either in orbit or on planetary surfaces, Bigelow is more or less unchallenged in this arena, so its success is arguably in the same ballpark of importance as SpaceX's - albeit less urgent. However, because Bigelow's business is so speculative, institutional investors have not shown the same degree of faith in its prospects that they have with SpaceX, and its founder - Robert Bigelow - does not have a large enough personal fortune to push the company forward alone. Enter NASA, with a contract to deploy an experimental inflatable module to the International Space Station called "BEAM" - Bigelow Expandable Activity Module. Once BEAM is deployed and, hopefully, successful, that will provide a measure of confidence in Bigelow's technology that may yield greater investment and accelerated timelines for the company, which will in turn drive more business to SpaceX in order to exploit Bigelow's technology. Bigelow has a contract to launch BEAM on a cargo Dragon flight.
  6. Uncrewed orbital test flight of Dragon 2. Although it seems counter-intuitive, SpaceX intends to launch an uncrewed Dragon 2 (or V2, or Crew Dragon, ugh) into orbit before doing an in-flight abort test that should technically be much simpler and cheaper. But I'm not complaining - it means we will get to see the spacecraft and rocket launch in its full glory all the sooner, and watch its in-space maneuvers. However, it will land under parachutes in the ocean: Propulsive landing via the SuperDraco thrusters is farther out in the future.
  7. Dragon 2 in-flight abort test. The final uncrewed test flight of Dragon 2 will give us a glimpse of the futuristic spacecraft in flight atop a smaller, modified rocket, at which point it will eject itself at or around the most inconvenient possible moment (Max Q, or maximum dynamic pressure) to demonstrate the robustness of its abort capability.
  8. Publication of preliminary Mars Colonial Transporter and BFR concepts. This is the item that will no doubt set /r/spacex on fire when it happens, despite being mostly a public relations gimme rather than an achievement in itself. SpaceX has the information whether the public knows about it or not, but being clued in on what they've got in mind will be a huge shot of inspirational adrenaline.
  9. Reused stage. (Unplanned, but maybe could happen.) If the tests of the first few returned stages show minimal damage, it is perhaps conceivable - if a high enough flight rate is achieved - that a stage approved for reuse could end up flying again in 2016. If serious enough discounts are offered, maybe it could even jump the line and be moved up to a quick relaunch, since rapidity of reuse is a major part of the program's goals.

-----

Now with horizontal accuracy and more detail:

[Reply]
unlurking 12:34 AM 12-24-2015
Yeah, Udvar is a regular stop every time I'm back in DC. Love the aviation hangar, but the space hangar could really use some more stuff. Although I love the views from the elevated walkways.

Lot of cool stuff. Was hoping for a thruster landing of the Dragon 2 though. Of those items on the list, most looking forward to 5 (Bigelow has big ideas on space hotels) and 9 (shear economic impact on cost of space access).

Oh, and thanks for adding all the updates to this thread!
[Reply]
DaFace 08:47 AM 01-01-2016
:-)FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:658px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
:-)F8F8F8; line-height:0; margin-top:40px; padding:50.0% 0; text-align:center; width:100%;">

:-)000; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none; word-wrap:break-word;" target="_blank">Falcon 9 back in the hangar at Cape Canaveral. No damage found, ready to fire again.

:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A photo posted by Elon Musk (@elonmusk) on

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:55 AM 01-01-2016

Well let's put some gas in it and light the fuse...

Woot....
[Reply]
Hydrae 12:19 PM 01-01-2016
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Well let's put some gas in it and light the fuse...

Woot....
THIS! ^^^
[Reply]
DaFace 10:51 PM 01-07-2016

SpaceX will try to land the Falcon 9 first stage on a drone ship during the Jason-3 launch from Vandenberg AFB on January 17.

— Charles A. Lurio (@TheLurioReport) January 7, 2016

[Reply]
eDave 10:53 PM 01-07-2016

Elon is an elite QB. Always throwing down the field.
[Reply]
eDave 05:13 PM 01-13-2016

[Reply]
DaFace 07:55 PM 01-14-2016
That gif is awesome. Here's the full "recap" video. Nothing new, but it's a cool compilation regardless.

Next launch is Sunday morning. Can't wait to see if they can get the barge landing down this time.
[Reply]
Donger 12:25 PM 01-16-2016
I hadn't seen this perspective before. Hopefully tomorrow goes better:

[Reply]
DaFace 11:12 AM 01-17-2016
T-minus 1.5 hours, and everything is still a go. Hopefully the launch fares better than the Chiefs did yesterday.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:19 AM 01-17-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
I hadn't seen this perspective before. Hopefully tomorrow goes better:

I'm hoping they have a decent live stream of the landing this time. The last time they had a barge landing attempt, it took a few days for this video to come out so that we could see what happened.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:21 PM 01-17-2016
Two webcast choices today:

Hosted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdKRJzl6y0

Just the rocket and countdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkz_lclGXNg
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:23 PM 01-17-2016
Do we know who's carrying it? The NASA channel has the Jason-3 launch.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 361
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Up