ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 977 of 3903
« First < 477877927967973974975976977 9789799809819871027107714771977 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:19 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
You're essentially trying to buy time. Buy time to stock up materials for hospitals and capacity (should have done that in January or Feb, but thats in the past and here we are). Buy time for a therapeutic (prophylactic antibodies will be here late spring early summer).

You can't buy time for a vaccine. They're saying 18 months, the average vaccine takes about 5 years so i wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

So in the end, yeah, you needed either a better plan or be better at relaying what the actual plan was.
Which requires far more political will than the American public is demonstrating. It requires more backbone than people standing up saying "My god, is this America?" when these projections come out.

Because the people that are dying right now? They're not dying because the system collapsed or because it failed them. They're not dying because they weren't getting treatment. The vast majority of the people dying right now received excellent care and it didn't do fuck-all.

Because this disease sucks bawls and our body has no method of dealing with it at the moment.

And even with that, people are at each other's throats. People are calling lagging indicators a sign of the Apocalypse or using them as justification for calling for soldiers on the streets.

When this was just goddamn near unavoidable. Some have not been - the PPE and healthcare providers getting sick is maddening and yeah, something that shouldn't be happening. But these are major outliers within the raw numbers and its the raw numbers that are freaking people out. The raw numbers wouldn't be appreciably different regardless of the amount of PPE available.

And again, this is all fucking terrible. But if people haven't really understood what the paths forward were...I just don't know how you can impart that to them. This seemed clear on its face from the beginning.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:22 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Still not that simple. We're still moving people around to try and combat hot spots, so how do you otherwise get a nurse from North Dakota to NYC? And what about people who have to travel for other treatments. I've got a friend whose mom is going to MD Anderson in Houston for treatment for a brain tumor (GBM). She doesn't do well in the car, so driving from KC to Houston isn't really an option.

I agree that travel should be severely limited, but I just don't think that completely shutting down airports is the answer.

That is a fair point and really no easy answers. It is going to hard to contain though if we keep allowing infected people to move around so easily.
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:23 AM 04-01-2020
Shit's about to get real. The virus is one thing, the economy another. But the psychological effects are starting to hit. Riots, robberies and looting in the near future.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:23 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But if people haven't really understood what the paths forward were...I just don't know how you can impart that to them. This seemed clear on its face from the beginning.
I think it's just an issue with people believing something could be true that's so unprecedented. If you read back in the first couple thousand posts in this thread, we had plenty of people (myself included, to some extent) who basically felt like this was just gonna be a bad flu season or another SARS 1.0. It was just incomprehensible that we'd literally have to shut down society for this.

Hell, my brother in law was adamant a week ago that this was all still way overblown. Unfortunately for him, he's a mechanic for the Denver FD, and they just had 9 guys test positive...
[Reply]
petegz28 11:23 AM 04-01-2020
Recoveries have crossed the 8,700 line.....
[Reply]
Donger 11:24 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
I've said the whole time I understand what we are doing and why. We need to get the supplies needed to our medical community who have been awesome.

Once they have what they need we need to open the economy up, immediately.
Huh:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...postcount=4881
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:26 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Shit's about to get real. The virus is one thing, the economy another. But the psychological effects are starting to hit. Riots, robberies and looting in the near future.
Air Force Academy relaxed restrictions after 2 cadets committed suicide last week.

I mean...that ain't summer camp to begin with. And to have people who had committed to that sort of regimented lifestyle prove unable to cope with it is eye-opening.

The psychological impacts are going to be immense. But I was told there's nothing to consider there and they were probably just looking for an excuse.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:29 AM 04-01-2020
I think it's just an issue with people believing something could be true that's so unprecedented. If you read back in the first couple thousand posts in this thread, we had plenty of people (myself included, to some extent) who basically felt like this was just gonna be a bad flu season or another SARS 1.0. It was just incomprehensible that we'd literally have to shut down society for this.

Hell, my brother in law was adamant a week ago that this was all still way overblown. Unfortunately for him, he's a mechanic for the Denver FD, and they just had 9 guys test positive...
Yeah, cognitive dissonance can be rough.

And part of it is probably some feeling of crying wolf in the past. We've been told for a decade or more that X, Y or Z is going to kill tens of thousands of us. And a lot of that has reached fever pitch over the last few years.

It probably did a lot to close people down out of the box.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 11:29 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Previous predictions were all worst case scenarios based on "if you do nothing....". So, you either overreact and never know if those numbers would have become a reality, or you do nothing and hope all of the smart people who devote their lives to this stuff actually had no idea what they were talking about when it comes to worst case scenarios.

Want to boost the economy or fill all the potholes? We should do something else with the billions invested in cancer research, since people die from heart disease and car accidents.

Granted, there's no risk of all of those categories combined all of a sudden filling up hospital beds to the point of choosing who lives and who dies while completely overwhelming healthcare workers.... which I'm sure would be great for the economy.
I pointed that out in my next post.We need to get the equipment to the health care providers and the beds needed, like taking over a hotel that isn't being used anyway. Then open up the economy again. It's looking like the devastation from this is going to be much larger on the back side. There are two sides to this.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:30 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
People fleeing the cities and heading out into the country side are going to be met with disdain and other things. There will be lots end up feeding the worms.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:30 AM 04-01-2020

And if all 9 of those guys end up with mild/no symptoms you can imagine what your brother in law will be saying then...

It's hard to find a balance here, because there's enough data out there to support whatever it is you want to believe.

In a weird twist of reality, the D.C Corona Virus thread is starting to become the more grounded, calm thread for decent information. This thread feels like half the posters are having a panic attack. Pass me a goddamn bag im having trouble breathing in here.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:30 AM 04-01-2020
FL governor is finally issuing a lock down order going into effect tomorrow at midnight. To little to late probably.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:31 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
People fleeing the cities and heading out into the country side are going to be met with disdain and other things. There will be lots end up feeding the worms.
:-)
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 11:33 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Don't like the numbers? Or don't like the idea of doing what we can to make this bug die out? Both, perhaps?
It's going to run it's course. Die out?
[Reply]
Donger 11:34 AM 04-01-2020
Louisiana reports almost 1,200 new cases.
[Reply]
Page 977 of 3903
« First < 477877927967973974975976977 9789799809819871027107714771977 > Last »
Up