ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 527 of 3903
« First < 27427477517523524525526527 52852953053153757762710271527 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:48 PM 03-20-2020
Suzzer--this was in the paper today

Originally Posted by :
3M Co. is ramping up production of its face and respirator masks aimed at hospitals while battling an onslaught of counterfeit products that recently hit the marketplace, company officials said Friday.

“3M is receiving increasing reports of fraudulent and counterfeiting activities involving 3M products,” the Maplewood-based international giant said in a statement. “The company strongly condemns any unethical actions taken to exploit the global pandemic.”

The company has doubled global production of its highly coveted N95 respiratory masks to 1.1 billion a year (or 100 million a month), the statement said, and is working to get the new batches into the hands of hospitals and health care providers on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic.

About 400 million of 3M’s N95 masks are manufactured each year in the United States. They are increasingly being directed to support both government and public health response, officials said.

The company also manufactures respirators at locations in Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America.

With the help of Congressional action taken this week, 3M expects to be able to route more of its mask to customers in the health care industry. Hospitals and first responders have talked about running out of masks and are predicting a shortage of ventilators in the U.S.

The company said it is now working with governments, medical officials, customers and distributors around the world to help get the supplies where they are needed most.

Besides masks, 3M boosted production of other COVID-19 related products including hand sanitizers, disinfectants and filtration solutions aimed at health care providers and for the pharmaceutical industry working to find a vaccine to fight the virus officials said.

“This pandemic is affecting us all, and we are doing all we can to support public health and especially our first responders and those impacted by this global health crisis,” 3M CEO Mike Roman said Friday in the statement. “We are mobilizing all available resources and rapidly increasing output of critical supplies health care workers in the United States and around the world need to help protect their lives as they treat others.”

On a down market day, 3M’s stock fell 5% to $130.47 a share in early trading Friday.

[Reply]
kstater 01:48 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
We are. Why do you think the number of cases are going up?

What we aren't doing right now is just testing people just to test them. That's a fine line to walk at the moment but one we have to do.

I can tell you now, I work for a health system, I have been on more calls this week to discuss patient, nurse and doctor safety. There are only so many resources to go around. You can't risk the medical professionals getting infected.

When people try going into a doctor's office or ER to get tested even if they aren't showing symptoms they are putting everyone else and including themselves in jeopardy.
This is not true. I know at least 2 people who went to their Dr with symptoms(well one called) and was told to self quarantine for 2 weeks. No test, nothing. Told to go to hospital if syptoms worsen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 01:48 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
And you are saying that you think that non-N95 masks aren't capable of stopping droplet spread?
Stopping or ameliorating? Important distinction. Yes, they'd help; no, they wouldn't stop. Sorry to be pedantic.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:50 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by kstater:
This is not true. I know at least 2 people who went to their Dr with symptoms(well one called) and was told to self quarantine for 2 weeks. No test, nothing. Told to go to hospital if syptoms worsen.

When was this?
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:50 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think people get confused by the "lockdown" language. Even Italy is still allowing people to go out to get food and to work. It's not like people are literally sitting in their homes 24/7.
Which they are in Wuhan. They get one stamp per household per week so one person can go out and buy groceries.

The Chinese expert is saying Italy should do the same thing because they're at Wuhan levels. No one in the west has tried anything that draconian and maybe they shouldn't. But it just means our milder lockdown is going to drag out a lot longer.

Still hoping heat and humidity slows it down. Seems like there's a good chance.
Singapore's high temp ever is 96. Average high is usually high 80s or low 90s. This virus hasn't seen anything like a KC summer yet.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:50 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Freaking masks man. We need to be cranking those things about by the millions and requiring them to go out in public until this thing is over.

Doesn't have to be N95, just surgical. It can't be that hard to make surgical masks can it?
I think surgical masks help infected people from spreading it more than people from getting it, once they get damp they lose effectiveness, also doesn't protect your eyes vs droplet.
[Reply]
kstater 01:50 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
When was this?
Tuesday for one, Wednesday for the other

[Reply]
petegz28 01:51 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels:
Stopping or ameliorating? Important distinction. Yes, they'd help; no, they wouldn't stop. Sorry to be pedantic.
Don't worry, Donger is the King of pedantic.
[Reply]
Donger 01:52 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels:
You're right. I should have used pete's words:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...&postcount=821

Masks don't do jack shit. Stop listening to the ****ing media.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:52 PM 03-20-2020
And you are saying that you think that non-N95 masks aren't capable of stopping droplet spread?
still need to protect your eyes on top of the N95.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:52 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by kstater:
Tuesday for one, Wednesday for the other

That shouldn't be happening at this point. Then again without knowing the reasoning behind the decisions we can't say why they were told that. It could easily have been they were dealing with more critical cases and needed the resources for them, I don't know.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 01:53 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Some really interesting information about the malaria stuff here. Pretty technical as well.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/...malarial-drug/

Then there is this:

Oh come on. SO GODDAMN CONFOUNDING.

I'll bet that yellow map would look almost IDENTICAL if you mapped the most common hotspots for CHINESE TRAVELERS. This is bullshit pseudostatistics. Show me how this controls for confounding factors and then we'll talk. Until then this is some lazy false-equivalence.
[Reply]
Donger 01:53 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
still need to protect your eyes on top of the N95.
Well-aware, and not the claim.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 01:53 PM 03-20-2020
You're right. I should have used pete's words:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...&postcount=821

Masks don't do jack shit. Stop listening to the ****ing media.
All good. Just trying to be very precise in this thread.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 01:54 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Which they are in Wuhan. They get one stamp per household per week so one person can go out and buy groceries.

The Chinese expert is saying Italy should do the same thing because they're at Wuhan levels. No one in the west has tried anything that draconian and maybe they shouldn't. But it just means our milder lockdown is going to drag out a lot longer.

Still hoping heat and humidity slows it down. Seems like there's a good chance.
Singapore's high temp ever is 96. Average high is usually high 80s or low 90s. This virus hasn't seen anything like a KC summer yet.
Why would anyone believe the Chinese government they’ve lied this whole time and trying to cover it up.
[Reply]
Page 527 of 3903
« First < 27427477517523524525526527 52852953053153757762710271527 > Last »
Up