ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Dude implies the Chiefs cheated..
Mecca 12:44 PM 09-21-2020
I think this is laughable personally.

What does Townsend pick up after the kick?? https://t.co/Ve0pCWO4TR

— Matthew Stephenson (@Ya_Boy_Matty) September 21, 2020

[Reply]
chiefsfan987 10:18 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Why "don't do it again"?

Is it illegal to mark a spot? Only thing I see is that tee's are against to rules in assisting field goal kicks. I don't see shit about marking where you want to place the ball.
I tend to agree, but if anyone was to get screwed on semantics it would be the Chiefs. Did he sit the ball on the marker? Then you could probably argue it was a tee even though we all know something the size of a dime isn't going to do anything to help your kick.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:21 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by chiefsfan987:
I tend to agree, but if anyone was to get screwed on semantics it would be the Chiefs. Did he sit the ball on the marker? Then you could probably argue it was a tee even though we all know something the size of a dime isn't going to do anything to help your kick.
Well for one we dont know what exactly it was he used to mark the spot.

The dude asking what he picked up specifically @'d Pat McAfee and he pretty much said its a nothing burger. He said he never used anything but many around the league do.

Think I'll take the word of a 2x Pro Bowl punter and holder for Adam Vinatieri over a college punter.
[Reply]
A Salt Weapon 10:22 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by DanT:
Here's an old SI article about Stenerud that mentions the field goal attempt made with the ball placed three-yards deep in his own endzone, a 113-yard attempt. https://vault.si.com/vault/1968/11/0...a-strange-game
(In college, the goal posts had been "in the back" of the end zone since 1927. The NFL didn't move them there until 1974.) The article doesn't say what the rules were for a missed field goal. Even today, a field goal attempt can be recovered and returned within the field of play, but maybe in the old days, the field goal attempt was treated more or less like a punt, so missing one wasn't as bad for the kicking team, in terms of where the opponent gets to take over the ball as the current rules make it.

There's an interesting rule in NFL and high school football regarding fair catches, where a team that has just made a "fair catch" can execute a free kick (either as a punt or as a place kick) that can yield a 3-point Field Goal. The nice thing about it is that the defense has to start 10 yards away, so it yields a nice little advantage to a team like the Chiefs that has a terrific placekicker like Harrison Butker. We might end up winning a game one day because of that rule. :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick
We have a similar odd rule in high school here, if you miss a field goal but it goes into the end zone it’s a touchback for the other team. Actually works out pretty well because if you miss a long field goal the other team gets it at the 20 instead of the spot of the kick.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:26 PM 09-21-2020
I have it on good authority that Townsend used a four-leaf clover to spot the ball, which is why he picked it and kept it. Luck of the Irish and all.
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:32 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Lane Kiffin
Correct iirc as the story was Lane Kiffin did the 76 yard field goal as a bit F U to Al Davis because Al would call down plays that he wanted the coach to call even if it wasn't in the game plan. Al would call for deep pass plays over ride his coaches play call. Al Davis liked to under mind his coaches.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:49 AM 09-22-2020
I always dreamed that if we won the Super Bowl, these sorts of things would be CP's biggest arguments.
[Reply]
scho63 03:28 AM 09-22-2020
One of Townsend's barrettes popped out and he was simply picking up to put back in his hair.

[Reply]
DanT 03:53 AM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon:
We have a similar odd rule in high school here, if you miss a field goal but it goes into the end zone it’s a touchback for the other team. Actually works out pretty well because if you miss a long field goal the other team gets it at the 20 instead of the spot of the kick.
Yes, that's the standard rule for high school football (per the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Rules of High School Football), which I think Alaska and everywhere else except Texas uses. Texas uses the NCAA rules. I think historically the current high school rule was the original standard, but the NCAA and the NFL departed from it.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia entry on "Touchback":
A special rule applies in college football and the NFL with regard to field goal attempts. If a missed field goal occurs in these leagues, the spot at which the non-kicking team receives possession of the ball depends on the spot from which the ball had been kicked. In NCAA football, the ball will be placed either on the 20 or the line of scrimmage of the play in which the attempt was made; in the NFL, either the 20 or the place from which the ball was kicked. (In either case, the ball goes to the spot which is further from the goal line.) The purpose of this rule is to discourage low-percentage, long-range field goal attempts and to deemphasize the advantage which can accrue when only one team has a kicker who has a reasonable possibility of success from a great distance. In American high school football (except in Texas), the missed field goal, regardless of where attempted on the field, results in a touchback as long as the attempt breaks the plane of the goal line, and in arena football, the field goal is treated as if it were a punt.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchback
[Reply]
Rasputin 04:10 AM 09-22-2020
It was an invisible feather that only Townsend could see from an Angel that lifted the ball and carried it through the uprights. Lost its feather after the third time. Football God's were on our side after the no call helmet to helmet on Sammie Watkins.
[Reply]
alanm 04:49 AM 09-22-2020
I'm so old I can remember when kickers used to use a tee on FG's. But a ref was right there and that wasn't a tee. Maybe a dime. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:45 AM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Really bizarre. The way he picked it up, feels like he placed something. Do I care? Not particularly. Just don't do it again. Did he do this on the previous 2 game winners? I don't think he did. So why that one time?
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
It's like he patted the turf as in thanking the Football God's for it going through. It's probably a kicker holders superstition to thank the Football God's.
Originally Posted by Valiant:
He popped his hand down to get up.
What's really bizarre is that we're gonna pretend like there isn't video of the dude using a marker and that an NFL holder didn't flat out say that some people use 'em, some don't. It's clearly something that happens in the NFL.

I mean c'mon fellas - this seems pretty settled doesn't it?

The kid uses some kind of little marker to identify where he's gonna place the ball. He picked it up after the kick. There's nothing illegal, nefarious or untoward about it.

We had a thread on CP where we all LEARNED something. That never happens. Why can't we just take the win here and move on?
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:01 AM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
What's really bizarre is that we're gonna pretend like there isn't video of the dude using a marker and that an NFL holder didn't flat out say that some people use 'em, some don't. It's clearly something that happens in the NFL.

I mean c'mon fellas - this seems pretty settled doesn't it?

The kid uses some kind of little marker to identify where he's gonna place the ball. He picked it up after the kick. There's nothing illegal, nefarious or untoward about it.

We had a thread on CP where we all LEARNED something. That never happens. Why can't we just take the win here and move on?
With some of the replies I see on this site, it makes me wonder if a lot of people just read the OP and then post their reply without reading anymore of the thread.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:54 AM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Jodi's Bareback:
nice find.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:59 AM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wow.

One of the strongest legs in NFL history and he didn't make it to the end zone. He's probably 15 yards short on that one - hard to believe he got as much of it as he's capable of. Kicking into the wind probably didn't help much.

What dumb ass STs coach said "yeah, he can hit that?" Like, we know every game what Butker's capable of going either direction because he and Toub go out there, kick the hell out of a few balls and see what they do.

There's no WAY Janikowksi was nailing 'em from 76 heading that direction in warm-ups. What a stupid waste of time and I wish it would've been returned just to make the Raiders look like the unprepared assholes they are.

Add another 18 yards onto that kick and straighten up the angle a lot, and it would have been good.
[Reply]
Valiant 02:16 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Look at his left hand IMMEDIATELY after the ball is kicked. He's pinching his fingers together before he ever touches the field with his right hand. It's a gesture, it's something in his ritual. There's nothing in his left hand.
Trying to get stickum off his hands.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up