ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 11
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Why the hell wouldn’t the Chargers go for it on 4th down in OT?
PunkinDrublic 11:10 PM 09-20-2020
You’re doing better against the Chiefs than anybody thought you would especially with a backup QB. Nobody would fault you if you went for it and it didn’t work out. If I’m a Charger enthusiast, I’d be pissed. That was a gutless call.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:13 PM 09-20-2020
Probably the higher percentage call. Their defense was playing a lot better than their offense. If they don't convert on 4th down the game is over. It's not like it was crazy to punt.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:15 PM 09-20-2020
Because if they didn't make it it would be an instant win for the Chiefs. The Chargers were hoping their defense could get a couple of sacks and force a punt instead.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:16 PM 09-20-2020
It should be illegal for opposing coaches to willingly give the ball back to Mahomes in overtime. It’s like allowing them to move their king into a checkmate.

But hey, I’m not complaining.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:17 PM 09-20-2020
because they have never played madden or tecmo
[Reply]
eDave 11:20 PM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Probably the higher percentage call. Their defense was playing a lot better than their offense. If they don't convert on 4th down the game is over. It's not like it was crazy to punt.
This right here. Either call was right. Either call was wrong. Depending on outcome.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:21 PM 09-20-2020
It would have been the right call if the Chiefs didn't have a dude with a cannon for a leg.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 11:27 PM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
I guess I just look at it as forcing our defense to make a play on fourth down which I think was very manageable. Regardless of field position if you give Pat another chance on offense you risk him putting it all and torching the defense. They took the super bowl champs into overtime, you’re playing with house money at that point.
[Reply]
Basileus777 11:30 PM 09-20-2020
Their coach is a coward. No other answer. Going for it was absolutely the higher percentage play and every analytics person would tell you so.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:32 PM 09-20-2020
Weren't they on their own 30 or 34 yard line or something? You can't go for it in OT against Mahomes from your own 30 yard line. That's basically suicide. You especially don't do it with your rookie QB in his very first NFL game. You don't put a kid in that position. You put the onus (if it doesn't work out) on the HC's shoulders.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:33 PM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by Basileus777:
Their coach is a coward. No other answer. Going for it was absolutely the higher percentage play and every analytics person would tell you so.
Football is more than analytics. Any HOF football coach will tell you so.
[Reply]
eDave 11:34 PM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
It works way better for baseball and other slow ass sports.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:38 PM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
So will any terrible coach. What's the point?
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:41 PM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
It works way better for baseball and other slow ass sports.
Heh, yeah it does. Football simplyu doesn't have enough repetitions in a single game for that shit to work out.

Take the Ravens game last year. Harbaugh went for it on every 4th down, tried to convert 2-pointers on every score because "analytics." Worked out so well for him and the Ravens . . .
[Reply]
wazu 11:43 PM 09-20-2020
I was so relieved they punted.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 11
1 2345 > Last »
Up