ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Need recommendations on Fish
Chief Roundup 11:35 AM 09-19-2020
So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:56 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by booger:
Best to bleed them out in a bucket or cooler. If you keep them in the lake on a stringer them damn turtles will get them! Fucking turtles!! Snapping turtle is mighty tasty though. Really good catch clean cook vids on YouTube for turtles
I always keep a 5 gallon bucket in the back of the truck for those situations
[Reply]
Rasputin 09:00 PM 09-19-2020
Best to bleed them out in a bucket or cooler. If you keep them in the lake on a stringer them damn turtles will get them! Fucking turtles!! Snapping turtle is mighty tasty though. Really good catch clean cook vids on YouTube for turtles
:-) turtles

fuck turtles :-)

TLDM
Turtle Lives Don't Matter
[Reply]
booger 09:03 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I always keep a 5 gallon bucket in the back of the truck for those situations
Yep. Learned that lesson at an early age seeing a stringer full of fish heads lmao
[Reply]
booger 09:06 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
:-) turtles

**** turtles :-)

TLDM
Turtle Lives Don't Matter
At least snappers are fun to catch. Painted and soft shells/leather backs can eat a bag of dicks though. I guess people eat them too. In general all them turtles can be pests though I agree
[Reply]
booger 09:09 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm a big fan of mild saltwater white fish and cod is probably my favorite (I love swordfish but it can be so hit and miss). Cod is high in protein and easy to make. I do a pan-seared Cod that takes about 12 minutes total, including prep time, but you can also prep and leave in the fridge overnight.

1. Fully defrost a piece of Cod.

2. On a cutting board, spread about 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil, then coat the Cod.

3. Generously sprinkle seasoning directly on the Cod/Olive oil and don't be afraid to rub it in. My favorite is Cayenne & Black pepper but I also like Lemon Pepper. Some stores offer a Cajun Spice which can also be excellent.

4. Preheat a small frying pan to medium heat, then place the seasoned cod in the pan. Turn after 4-5 minutes (I use gas and I'm at Sea Level so your cooking time may vary).

5. After about 8 minutes, the cod should be fully cooked, tender and flaky.

I don't use any additional sauces, as it's generally really flavorful. Costco also sells a beer battered cod that works well in an air fryer. Here's a pic I took a recently of a piece of cod I made for lunch a few weeks back. Good luck!

What’s the best way to go if buying some swordfish online to get good quality in your experience? Never have tried it but it is on the to try list someday
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:23 PM 09-19-2020
What’s the best way to go if buying some swordfish online to get good quality in your experience? Never have tried it but it is on the to try list someday
I’ve never even tried because the swordfish I’ve had in expensive seafood restaurants has always been so hit and miss that I didn’t want to take the chance.

My other favorite fish is Red Snapper, which is also mild and super yummy. Back when my parents lived in south Florida, I’d visit for a week at a time, so my dad and I would head out into the Gulf on his 25’ center console fishing boat and catch dozens of red snapper. The guys at the boat storage company would clean the fish for free while we waited for it to be put away, then throw it on the Jen-Aire back at the house.

I don’t think I’ve ever bad a bad piece of red snapper and it makes for great fish tacos.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:29 PM 09-19-2020
thresher shark

you'll need to research the prep and double the soak time . but you will get a very mild fish dinner.

lime beurre-blanc to finish
[Reply]
booger 09:34 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I’ve never even tried because the swordfish I’ve had in expensive seafood restaurants has always been so hit and miss that I didn’t want to take the chance.

My other favorite fish is Red Snapper, which is also mild and super yummy. Back when my parents lived in south Florida, I’d visit for a week at a time, so my dad and I would head out into the Gulf on his 25’ center console fishing boat and catch dozens of red snapper. The guys at the boat storage company would clean the fish for free while we waited for it to be put away, then throw it on the Jen-Aire back at the house.

I don’t think I’ve ever bad a bad piece of red snapper and it makes for great fish tacos.
Ok I get what your saying. That would be easy enough to piss a person off because it’s a good chance a guy would buy in bulk. Buy a loin to have a few steaks in the freezer and get a bad fish it’s all going to taste bad. Thanks :-)
[Reply]
booger 09:43 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
thresher shark

you'll need to research the prep and double the soak time . but you will get a very mild fish dinner.

lime beurre-blanc to finish
Is that a swordfish alternative? Steaks/meat look similar from a quick google search
[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:51 PM 09-19-2020
I'm not sure.

all i know is that thresher shark, when done properly is lighter than rabbit. get it fresh, soak it in water, then soak it in milk. bake it and it is fish/steak/cottoncandy
[Reply]
booger 09:53 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
I'm not sure.

all i know is that thresher shark, when done properly is lighter than rabbit. get it fresh, soak it in water, then soak it in milk. bake it and it is fish/steak/cottoncandy
Worth looking into/reading up on. Thanks man :-)
[Reply]
JD10367 11:28 PM 09-19-2020
Only ate shark once but it was pretty good. Guys were fishing off a pier in FL. They tied a rope around a horizontal railing, on the last pass around they put an empty soda can under the rope, and baited a big hook with meat. Sat back and fly fished and waited for the can to crush.
[Reply]
Fish 11:37 PM 09-19-2020

[Reply]
Couch-Potato 04:33 AM 09-20-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Ever tried sushi? I find it to be much less "fishy" than cooked fish.
LOL I left KC for LA over a decade ago and the way I describe home to locals is "If you go on a first date, your date will ask you if you like sushi."
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:12 AM 09-20-2020
Also depends on how you prepare it. I personally don't like baked fish. Don't like the texture or taste. I prefer it with a good sear. If you don't like fish I'd think less about seasoning and more about ways to mask the taste. Throw in a little acid like lemons. Better yet try out some glazes, sauces, or toppings. You can also try using it for tacos or stews.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up