ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Need recommendations on Fish
Chief Roundup 11:35 AM 09-19-2020
So I need some recommendations from those who eat fish regularly.
I am not a fish eater. If fish has a strong pungent smell I can't get it past the nose. I do like Tuna fish sandwiches though.
I don't really eat seafood either. It is expensive to just try and then possibly, probably with me, throw it away because I couldn't get past the smell or texture.
The only time I have ever enjoyed Shrimp was taking them straight from the skillet where they were being cooked in butter. Once they were just a little cooler the texture changed, rubberish, and I could not eat them.
I also need to know what is the best spices to use for cooking fish.
Yes I got my blood work back and my LDL is still to damn high.
[Reply]
Stewie 06:00 PM 09-19-2020
Tuna fish is just vernacular.

People on the east coast often call cod, codfish. I think it's to distinguish it from a codpiece. :-)
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:14 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
I guess I've never really considered finding fish that doesnt taste like fish, since I eat fish because I like it (and I don't even bother with cod because it tastes like water)

Any have suggestions for a tomato that doesn't taste so "tomato-ish"?

Ketchup.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 06:17 PM 09-19-2020
Stick to a whitefish like tilapia, cod, orange roughy, Stay away from oily fish. Learn how to wet brine. Brining will always help remove some of the fish smell.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:22 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Stick to a whitefish like tilapia, cod, orange roughy, Stay away from oily fish. Learn how to wet brine. Brining will always help remove some of the fish smell.
Yep

Saltwater
Lemon water
Milk
Buttermilk
Citrus soda

Pretty much any overnight soak in something like that works
[Reply]
Bowser 06:23 PM 09-19-2020
Man, I thought this was a thread looking for suggestions that I could mod abuse Fish with. *sad face*
[Reply]
booger 06:41 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yep

Saltwater
Lemon water
Milk
Buttermilk
Citrus soda

Pretty much any overnight soak in something like that works
Years ago had an old fisherman tell me to get a two liter of 7up or sprite and soak channel cat fillets in it overnight. Worked very well! Added lemon juice and salt the next time
[Reply]
booger 06:45 PM 09-19-2020
Yellow perch is underrated and almost as good as walleye. Especially jumbo perch through the ice. Northern Pike is also great if you can get the Y bones out. Good vids on YouTube to watch and learn from it you don’t have the opportunity to see someone do it in person
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:33 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Man, I thought this was a thread looking for suggestions that I could mod abuse Fish with. *sad face*
This was my first thought as well. I was much more interested in that, but oh well . . .
[Reply]
JD10367 07:48 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Tilapia is a shit fish.
Literally, they eat shit.
Mrs. Radar and I took our son to the St. Louis zoo a couple of summers ago and you'll never guess what they kept in the hippo enclosure to help keep it clean. Yup, tilapia.
I was fortunate enough that while I was checking out the hippo enclosure one swam by and left behind a couple of hippo nuggets in its wake, and before those nuggets even started settling to the bottom several tilapia swarmed and started pecking at them.
I'll never purposely eat tilapia again.
Lobster eat the dead things that settle to the bottom of the ocean floor.

What you eat does not account for your tastiness.
[Reply]
Sofa King 07:49 PM 09-19-2020
I’m on a hunting trip. Can’t read all the responses. If you’re gonna eat a fish you catch, bleed it out by cutting the gills. Then soak it in salt water overnight.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:58 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
I’m on a hunting trip. Can’t read all the responses. If you’re gonna eat a fish you catch, bleed it out by cutting the gills. Then soak it in salt water overnight.
Exactly right, bleeding it out properly is more than half the battle

I'm always surprised at how many seasoned fishermen dont know about draining them that way when watching youtube catch and cook videos
[Reply]
Boon 08:08 PM 09-19-2020
Halibut
Blue fin tuna steak
Yellow fin tuna steak
Walleye
Crappie
Good clean catfish from Kaw lake in Oklahoma.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:37 PM 09-19-2020
I'm a big fan of mild saltwater white fish and cod is probably my favorite (I love swordfish but it can be so hit and miss). Cod is high in protein and easy to make. I do a pan-seared Cod that takes about 12 minutes total, including prep time, but you can also prep and leave in the fridge overnight.

1. Fully defrost a piece of Cod.

2. On a cutting board, spread about 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil, then coat the Cod.

3. Generously sprinkle seasoning directly on the Cod/Olive oil and don't be afraid to rub it in. My favorite is Cayenne & Black pepper but I also like Lemon Pepper. Some stores offer a Cajun Spice which can also be excellent.

4. Preheat a small frying pan to medium heat, then place the seasoned cod in the pan. Turn after 4-5 minutes (I use gas and I'm at Sea Level so your cooking time may vary).

5. After about 8 minutes, the cod should be fully cooked, tender and flaky.

I don't use any additional sauces, as it's generally really flavorful. Costco also sells a beer battered cod that works well in an air fryer. Here's a pic I took a recently of a piece of cod I made for lunch a few weeks back. Good luck!

[Reply]
Eleazar 08:46 PM 09-19-2020
wild Alaskan salmon & oily cold water fish like black cod are what you want.
[Reply]
booger 08:52 PM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Exactly right, bleeding it out properly is more than half the battle

I'm always surprised at how many seasoned fishermen dont know about draining them that way when watching youtube catch and cook videos
Best to bleed them out in a bucket or cooler. If you keep them in the lake on a stringer them damn turtles will get them! Fucking turtles!! Snapping turtle is mighty tasty though. Really good catch clean cook vids on YouTube for turtles
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up