ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2038 of 3050
« First < 1038153819381988202820342035203620372038 203920402041204220482088213825383038 > Last »
The Dumbass Lounge>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Halfcan 02:02 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
That was actually an interview from March but yes.
Yes, just a few months ago, he went on national television and said this.

Now, some community leaders are threatening to fine businesses if employees are not wearing a mask. People are mask shaming others on social media. Some businesses will not let customers in without a mask.

But his basic premise has Not changed- yes it "might stop a droplet" but you have a higher chance of cross-contaminating your own mask.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 02:03 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Wait....what? :-)
:-) Do you need help understanding the word "hypocrite"?
[Reply]
Monticore 02:03 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
We have some "lurkers" if you will....
I prefer the term secret admirers
[Reply]
ghak99 02:05 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
Fuck I hate the argument loving bitches bringing your straw man bullshit into this thread. I donít give two shits anyoneís opinion on Fauci, Trump, or anyone else for that matter. Letís discuss the novel Coronavirus science and leave all the other bs in DC.
I don't mind a good argument, but letting the obvious DC posts slide a day or two ago has sent it to the gutter. Seems odd after kicking so many people out of the thread earlier.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:07 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Yes, just a few months ago, he went on national television and said this.

Now, some community leaders are threatening to fine businesses if employees are not wearing a mask. People are mask shaming others on social media. Some businesses will not let customers in without a mask.

But his basic premise has Not changed- yes it "might stop a droplet" but you have a higher chance of cross-contaminating your own mask.
There was actually discussion about this very thing this morning with the NYU doctors and stuff on SXM. I posted about it earlier but they largely said the same thing about it being psychological and that most people don't use the masks properly citing media reporters reaching their hands inside their masks and stuff.

Their point was not that it is useless per say but that they aren't protecting you nearly as much as you think they are.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:07 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
Fuck I hate the argument loving bitches bringing your straw man bullshit into this thread. I donít give two shits anyoneís opinion on Fauci, Trump, or anyone else for that matter. Letís discuss the novel Coronavirus science and leave all the other bs in DC.
We're more than open to a suggested set of guidelines. I don't think I'm willing to say that the advice of the country's designated expert is off-limits, though, and apparently some people think that's a political take.

So if that's where we are, I don't know where you can effectively draw the lines.
[Reply]
ghak99 02:08 PM 05-13-2020
I sit in a parking lot while waiting for someone and did some people watching earlier. I bet 90% of the people wearing masks were self contaminating. One of the most hilarious examples was a nurse in scrubs, who I know personally, just absolutely wrecking the situation. She might as well have just sniffed a line of covid off a hooker's ass.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:13 PM 05-13-2020
Disclaimer: I have not seen the published study yet.

Antibody tests in Spain have found 5% prevalence, with 15% in the hardest affected areas. They tested 90,000 people across 36,000 households.

That isn't especially promising for the "more people have it than we think" belief.

If you backdate to April 27, and reduce Spain's death toll from its current count to what it was on that day, you end up with an IFR of around 1%. If you double the infection rate to account for the lag in antibodies (probably not terribly likely given the lockdown), then your IFR is 0.5%


[Reply]
DaFace 02:16 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I sit in a parking lot while waiting for someone and did some people watching earlier. I bet 90% of the people wearing masks were self contaminating. One of the most hilarious examples was a nurse in scrubs, who I know personally, just absolutely wrecking the situation. She might as well have just sniffed a line of covid off a hooker's ass.
They're certainly not great for one's own protection (especially if people don't use them properly).

Again, it's more about keeping one's own droplets out of the air than it is preventing droplets that are already in the air from getting through.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:17 PM 05-13-2020
No lakefront in Chicago until at least the end of June. Anxious to see how that works out.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:18 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Disclaimer: I have not seen the published study yet.

Antibody tests in Spain have found 5% prevalence, with 15% in the hardest affected areas. They tested 90,000 people across 36,000 households.

That isn't especially promising for the "more people have it than we think" belief.

If you backdate to April 27, and reduce Spain's death toll from its current count to what it was on that day, you end up with an IFR of around 1%. If you double the infection rate to account for the lag in antibodies (probably not terribly likely given the lockdown), then your IFR is 0.5%

Eeeek still 5 times worse than the flu, but not nearly as bad as it was looking.

Serology is going to be hell of a hindsight 20/20
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:19 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
There was actually discussion about this very thing this morning with the NYU doctors and stuff on SXM. I posted about it earlier but they largely said the same thing about it being psychological and that most people don't use the masks properly citing media reporters reaching their hands inside their masks and stuff.

Their point was not that it is useless per say but that they aren't protecting you nearly as much as you think they are.
:-)

My dad is elderly and after talking to his doctor, decided to wear a mask in public now. I am glad- I want him and others to do the best they can to protect themselves. Problem is- when he is done with it, just throws it on the floorboard of his truck until he needs it again-lol

This is probably doing more harm than good, but it makes him feel less nervous about going out.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 02:20 PM 05-13-2020
Miami-Dade County's "New Normal" begins on Monday, FINALLY restaurants, haircut establishments and other "non essential" businesses begin to re-open but with 10 million new rules.

Talk about a ridiculous overreach of regulations.

Link: https://www.miamidade.gov/informatio...new-normal.pdf
[Reply]
notorious 02:22 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
:-)

My dad is elderly and after talking to his doctor, decided to wear a mask in public now. I am glad- I want him and others to do the best they can to protect themselves. Problem is- when he is done with it, just throws it on the floorboard of his truck until he needs it again-lol

This is probably doing more harm than good, but it makes him feel less nervous about going out.
Tell him to throw it on the dash so the sun and heat can cook it.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:23 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I sit in a parking lot while waiting for someone and did some people watching earlier. I bet 90% of the people wearing masks were self contaminating. One of the most hilarious examples was a nurse in scrubs, who I know personally, just absolutely wrecking the situation. She might as well have just sniffed a line of covid off a hooker's ass.
:-)

I was out yesterday and shopped in several different stores.

One guy cut a hole in his mask so he could smoke and not have to take it off-lol

I think cutting a hole in your mask kind of defeats the purpose.
[Reply]
Page 2038 of 3050
« First < 1038153819381988202820342035203620372038 203920402041204220482088213825383038 > Last »
Up