ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1938 of 3048
« First < 938143818381888192819341935193619371938 193919401941194219481988203824382938 > Last »
The Dumbass Lounge>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Marcellus 12:21 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The wisdom of Carlin is always high on the list.
You dont say?


[Reply]
Mecca 12:26 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You dont say?

I actually generally agree with that, however it is kind of absurd to go oh well it'll kill 200k people but they were old or unhealthy so fuckem my lifes good.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:27 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
People who are holding up South Korea as a supposed example of how the virus can be successfully contained should read up on their ongoing “everyday life quarantine” restrictions which still ban mass gatherings, require face masks, etc.

All of that “new normal” bullshit will remain in place until a vaccine is developed... even in a supposed “success” country such as South Korea.

So once again the question remains, if no scalable/effective vaccine is ever developed... does “everyday life quarantine” and the “new normal” become permanent?

Even the most hardcore lockdown supporters would agree that is not sustainable.

If there is no vaccine there definitely will be therapeutic treatments. But as Donger suggested we could all wear masks while out in public and continue to be diligent about our hand washing along with some social distancing.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:28 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
This going to TOUCH on something that could be called broadly 'political' but is more psychological, and has been bugging me for so long here that it needs to be said I need to say it, even if people misinterpret it and b& me. And I would add, if this post bothers folks as over the line, I'd ask that they give me an oportunity to rephrase or retract, as I'm not trying to make a partisan point, but an important philosophical and strategic one.

I'm going to try to express it succinctly, so I apologize if it abridges some nuances, . . . but we live in a free society with inalienable rights, so it seems that all this energy devoted to shaming and belittling people into conceding their rights are an illusion would be better devoted to persuading people that their rights should be momentarily lended to an extraordinary circumstance.

And part of that is being brutally honest about the best and worst case scenarios as well as the reasons why they are still speculative.

Maybe it's just my psychological makeup, but I realize a lot of the merits of various narratives, but I also see the pitfalls and/or uncertainties being downplayed or hidden. But even if one were absolutely convinced of a plan of action, I don't understand why they don't work harder to persuade instead of snark and belittlement [even if they're getting it back].

When seeking behavior from another person, you can either persuade [with reasoning or enticement or flattery, or whatever] or you can force with whatever heft and muscle you can muster.

If the end goal is unified response, it seems far better to say 'this is why it's important, and here's what it might cost, and we're not sure it can work but it's our best effort' than 'this is the way it is, and if you have questions stop being stupid and listen and obey.'
I agree, but when you say 'shaming and belittling people into conceding their rights', are you talking about this thread (and the meme I posted) or is this taking place on a grander scale, such as the CDC and news outlets, etc?

I personally don't feel like I've been shamed or belittled into doing anything,but I also see no value in watching the news, so I don't... I've done plenty of research on my own and via this thread, and I've found plenty of the 'why', even if that's sadly not communicated on a broader scale outside of the occasional civil facebook post about it.


I think this is all on point.... I'm all for educating people on the 'why'. The flip side to this, very sadly, is a lot of people quickly come up with their own opinion of the situation based on the very limited data in front of their face at the time, and then spend the rest of time finding ways to confirm it.... that's on display throughout this thread, or most threads around here. I'd guess the majority of people don't get beyond that first opinion, no matter how much education is out there.... they're forever stranded on Mount Stupid.

And I'm not criticizing your points at all (just society as a whole)... I totally agree, and even if people don't take to the education, we should still do it, then people can choose whether they want to digest the 'why'.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:29 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I actually generally agree with that, however it is kind of absurd to go oh well it'll kill 200k people but they were old or unhealthy so ****em my lifes good.
If only anyone was actually saying that. Nice strawman though.
[Reply]
Donger 12:30 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I agree that you would argue over some really petty shit.

The fact that you read that post and THAT'S what you took from it is just :-) :-) :-)
I'm just curious why wearing masks is unsustainable. Nothing more than that, really.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:31 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm just curious why wearing masks is unsustainable. Nothing more than that, really.
Because man, it's annoying.
[Reply]
srvy 12:32 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm not wrong. This is new/novel. Seasonal flu is not. It's CFR is also higher than seasonal flu.

I'm aware that COVID-19 kills more elderly than young. So does seasonal flu. That doesn't change the fact that the CFR is higher than seasonal flu, which I presume you aren't going to try to dispute.


[Reply]
Donger 12:33 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:

Oh, welcome back. Yes, those pesky facts are still here and valid.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:34 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
If George Carlin’s philosophy can’t resonate with you (simply because he’s a comedian), you’re an idiot, and I’m not talking about book smarts.
People taking anything from that Carlin meme is no different than assuming John Stewart and John Oliver's shows promoted nuanced understanding of current issues and events.
[Reply]
TLO 12:35 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
400+ of what they're still determining to be "asymptomatic" cases.

1 worker in his 40's passed away. He was tested April 24th I believe. He had underlying health conditions.

Not much else has been reported. Our numbers in Buchanan County continue to rise, but it's not been made clear if these are stragglers from the plant that weren't tested before, or if they are from the community.
I also just found this

Originally Posted by :
On Sunday, May 3, Triumph Foods CEO Mark Campbell issued a video update to employees, confirming that around 17% of the Triumph Foods workforce had tested positive for coronavirus, but 90% of them were asymptomatic

[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:35 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I agree, but when you say 'shaming and belittling people into conceding their rights', are you talking about this thread (and the meme I posted) or is this taking place on a grander scale, such as the CDC and news outlets, etc?
Not you specifically [MoF, your circumspection in the quoted post was the signifier that it might be productive to bring this up overall], and not so much the 'responsible' new media. But a lot on here, and a shit ton on social media.

Maybe I'm too sensitive, but there seems an avalanche of 'fuck these buttfucking morons and their freedom' which, even if loosely apt for the situation is merely resentful and catastrophically counterproductive.

Everyone is dealing with imperfect information and extraordinary times, and it just seems like persuasion remains superior to derision and muscle, even if some remain unpersuaded. Part of one's sacrifice for overall success might need to incorporate sublimating one's more snarky and combative impulses.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:43 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm just curious why wearing masks is unsustainable. Nothing more than that, really.
Well because it would be......

I mean its not like masks keep working regardless I would bet they have to be replaced. You going to mandate people buy masks?

I mean why stop there, clearly there is a epidemic of retards in this country we should mandate condoms while we are at it. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 12:43 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Wearing a mask isn't unsustainable.
Yes, it is. People are not going to wear a mask every day for the rest of their lives. Just not gonna happen.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:44 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Well because it would be......

I mean its not like masks keep working regardless I would bet they have to be replaced. You going to mandate people buy masks?

I mean why stop there, clearly there is a epidemic of retards in this country we should mandate condoms while we are at it. :-)
Actually, yes they should, dumb people reproducing is the bane of society.
[Reply]
Page 1938 of 3048
« First < 938143818381888192819341935193619371938 193919401941194219481988203824382938 > Last »
Up