ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1536 of 3052
« First < 536103614361486152615321533153415351536 153715381539154015461586163620362536 > Last »
The Dumbass Lounge>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:15 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The Stanford test definitely has some not so good parameters that were set up.
those are?
[Reply]
TLO 11:17 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
those are?
There's a full rundown in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...n-apology/amp/
[Reply]
O.city 11:18 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
This is because we are testing mostly people with symptoms or who have had contacts with those who tested positive. As Dr. Fauci stated, testing those who show no symptoms is good for that 1 day and it is unrealistic to test people every day. Antibody testing and contract tracing will be much more important going forward.
As is being shown to you in this thread, antibody testing has it's benefits and downfalls. It all has to play in together.

You can't contact trace if you don't know who's infectious. Essentially, yeah, you need to be able to rapidly test damn near everyone.
[Reply]
O.city 11:19 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
those are?
https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.e...us-prevalence/
[Reply]
TLO 11:32 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.e...us-prevalence/
Ooooh. This is a good read. Much better than the news article I posted.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:41 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once example is pizza companies like Dominos, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut. They are actually doing very well. There are more, but that's just one example.
My best friend has run an successful music related internet store since 1999, in which he has done extremely well, like super extremely well.

He was terrified when the lockdowns began because he has more than $1 million in inventory when they started. But since Amazon has delayed all non-essential items, his business is absolutely booming and he's had his best month in two years.

I'm sure there are other examples out there of people doing well since the beginning of the lockdowns, which leads me to believe that we'll see a fundamental shift in how businesses choose to operate moving forward.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:44 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Good don't go out to eat then.

no restaurant owner is going to go back into business and only make half the money he made before.

There's no profit.

It's mostly alcohol sales.
We have a massive amount of Mom & Pop restuarants in Los Angeles, most of which can barely seat 10 people inside but have the outdoor capacity to seat 20 or more.

With food deliveries up, I think that most of those restaurants, if not all, will welcome Social Distancing scenarios because it's added cash AND makes it so their food supply isn't going to waste.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:49 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
AMC filed bankruptcy but it's the kind that should let them continue to operate.
Massive movie theater chains are dinosaurs in the current world.

The Studios have been flirting with Premium Video On Demand for years and now that Universal has released Trolls 2 to great success, while Disney is pushing to release their films shortly after a theatrical run on Disney+, the writing is on the wall for many of these chains.

I'm not stating that the movie theater system is dead but it's been slowly dying for years, while streaming and the availability of high quality content is more accessible than ever and VOD and SVOD purchases are on the rise.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:51 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My best friend has run an successful music related internet store since 1999, in which he has done extremely well, like super extremely well.

He was terrified when the lockdowns began because he has more than $1 million in inventory when they started. But since Amazon has delayed all non-essential items, his business is absolutely booming and he's had his best month in two years.

I'm sure there are other examples out there of people doing well since the beginning of the lockdowns, which leads me to believe that we'll see a fundamental shift in how businesses choose to operate moving forward.
Good for him. :-) It's a good thing he went that direction, rather than owning a bar.
[Reply]
Pants 11:59 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Massive movie theater chains are dinosaurs in the current world.

The Studios have been flirting with Premium Video On Demand for years and now that Universal has released Trolls 2 to great success, while Disney is pushing to release their films shortly after a theatrical run on Disney+, the writing is on the wall for many of these chains.

I'm not stating that the movie theater system is dead but it's been slowly dying for years, while streaming and the availability of high quality content is more accessible than ever and VOD and SVOD purchases are on the rise.
I love going to the movies. This is so sad.
[Reply]
Setsuna 12:02 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
You know how many people have been booted from this thread? There are a couple more on the bubble as well, but the people that insisted on making it political were shown the door.
I see. Due diligence saved the thread. Carry on people!
[Reply]
Monticore 12:04 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I love going to the movies. This is so sad.
Ya same , Saturday night dinner and a movie was our mental health day.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:04 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Massive movie theater chains are dinosaurs in the current world.

The Studios have been flirting with Premium Video On Demand for years and now that Universal has released Trolls 2 to great success, while Disney is pushing to release their films shortly after a theatrical run on Disney+, the writing is on the wall for many of these chains.

I'm not stating that the movie theater system is dead but it's been slowly dying for years, while streaming and the availability of high quality content is more accessible than ever and VOD and SVOD purchases are on the rise.
Still haven't watched Trolls 2, but plan on it. For me, paying $20 or $30 to sit on my couch to watch a movie is well worth it. My kids are getting older, but generally we only go to movies that all of us are going to and when that happens, we walk out of there $100 lighter in the pocket.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:04 PM 04-20-2020
And just because things are so awesome as it is, we've got a CO2 shortage threatening the beverage industry.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 12:10 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once example is pizza companies like Dominos, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut. They are actually doing very well. There are more, but that's just one example.
I can't speak for the others but Pizza Hut is wrong. Last numbers I looked at had Pizza Huts sales profit down 30%. This virus is hitting everyone in the restaurant business.
[Reply]
Page 1536 of 3052
« First < 536103614361486152615321533153415351536 153715381539154015461586163620362536 > Last »
Up