ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1531 of 3903
« First < 531103114311481152115271528152915301531 153215331534153515411581163120312531 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:26 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Sure, it's going to evolve, practically day to day at this point. There are still unknowns and concerns and many people tasked with doing the 'right' thing in a completely unprecedented time.

Yeah, there's going to be uncertainty.

I agree, unfortunately.... even before the major restrictions took place, my thought was that we'd never know if we overreacted, only if we didn't do enough.

And right on cue, people aren't seeing the exponential growth in their area and they're frustrated and wondering why things haven't open back up as of 2 weeks ago. :-)
I think it's important to see all sides of it though. People are seeing their jobs gone, their money gone and such.

It's just a fucked up situation.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:27 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Spain and Italy among the highest rates of elevators per people.

NYC elevator usage statistics.
I was wondering what the commonality was between NY, Spain, and Italy. I never would have guessed elevator usage.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:29 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I was wondering what the commonality was between NY, Spain, and Italy. I never would have guessed elevator usage.
Yeah, I would not have figured that one either
[Reply]
DaFace 09:30 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I just don't see how you can keep it going that long. People get exhausted with it and the economic situation could get extremely dire for some.

Some times you've gotta make the best of bad decisions.
I think the challenge is that, restrictions or not, the economy is tanked for the foreseeable future. Even if the only restriction remaining is the six-foot rule, that means that restaurants, theaters, stadiums, etc. are only going to be able to sell about 1/4th of their seats. That means 75% fewer people not only going to those venues, but also spending money on parking, bars, etc. People aren't going to be traveling, so tourism is going to be very low. It goes on and on.

We can have all the discussions about "opening things up" that we want, but the fact of the matter is that things aren't going to be anywhere close to "normal" for the next 1-2 years.
[Reply]
Setsuna 09:31 AM 04-20-2020
This thread still exists? Wow. Well with increasing talks of the country opening up all the usual suspects have disappeared. Interesting.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:31 AM 04-20-2020
End of the day it's population density.

Seems like this points to the droplet spread in enclosed spaces with many people combined bad air circulation (elevators or subways) could be a logical culprit.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:31 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think the challenge is that, restrictions or not, the economy is tanked for the foreseeable future. Even if the only restriction remaining is the six-foot rule, that means that restaurants, theaters, stadiums, etc. are only going to be able to sell about 1/4th of their seats. That means 75% fewer people not only going to those venues, but also spending money on parking, bars, etc.

We can have all the discussions about "opening things up" that we want, but the fact of the matter is that things aren't going to be anywhere close to "normal" for the next 1-2 years.
That's true. With the economy the only thing that will fix is time. Just gotta wait it out but it WILL come back.
[Reply]
O.city 09:32 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think the challenge is that, restrictions or not, the economy is tanked for the foreseeable future. Even if the only restriction remaining is the six-foot rule, that means that restaurants, theaters, stadiums, etc. are only going to be able to sell about 1/4th of their seats. That means 75% fewer people not only going to those venues, but also spending money on parking, bars, etc.

Yeah, some things will change. But 1-2 years? I don't see that.

Where some are pushing for a vaccine, you really don't know at this point that one is even possible. If it takes that long (with no mutation of the virus) we'll be at herd immunity before theres a vaccine anyway.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:34 AM 04-20-2020
End of the day it's population density.

Seems like this points to the droplet spread in enclosed spaces with many people combined bad air circulation (elevators or subways) could be a logical culprit.
I had no idea so many people in Spain and Italy lived in apartments. Its just not what you envision when thinking about those counties. I actually think of sprawling countryside for some reason.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:34 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's true. With the economy the only thing that will fix is time. Just gotta wait it out but it WILL come back.
Laughably stupid take.
[Reply]
Donger 09:35 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
This thread still exists? Wow. Well with increasing talks of the country opening up all the usual suspects have disappeared. Interesting.
What's "wow" about this thread still existing?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:35 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, some things will change. But 1-2 years? I don't see that.

Where some are pushing for a vaccine, you really don't know at this point that one is even possible. If it takes that long (with no mutation of the virus) we'll be at herd immunity before theres a vaccine anyway.
We can hope. But most projections I've seen say that you need 50%-80% infection rates to get there. That's not gonna happen in the next 1-2 years unless we completely give up on all the social distancing measures.

Obviously if the infection rates are hundreds of times higher than we think, that changes things, but that still seems like wishful thinking to me.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:35 AM 04-20-2020
I had no idea so many people in Spain and Italy lived in apartments.
You gotta remember the US is by far a huge outlier in terms of single family home utilization.
[Reply]
O.city 09:35 AM 04-20-2020
I mean sure, eventually the economy will come back.

Who the hell knows when.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:35 AM 04-20-2020
Laughably stupid take.
The answer to the virus is to hide and wait, the answer to fixing the economy is just to wait.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 1531 of 3903
« First < 531103114311481152115271528152915301531 153215331534153515411581163120312531 > Last »
Up