ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Nzoner's Game Room>Why the hell wouldn’t the Chargers go for it on 4th down in OT?
PunkinDrublic 11:10 PM 09-20-2020
You’re doing better against the Chiefs than anybody thought you would especially with a backup QB. Nobody would fault you if you went for it and it didn’t work out. If I’m a Charger enthusiast, I’d be pissed. That was a gutless call.
[Reply]
Coach 09:05 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That's just not true. Mahomes isn't automatic. It was a 20-20 game for a reason.

You also have to figure in that had they picked it up, they still had to go the rest of the way to score. Mahomes was going to get the ball back regardless. Might as well try to flip the field.
Yeah, but remember, Mahomes was going all Elway on the 4th quarter and he was making clutch plays. So even if I were to flip the field, Mahomes was still rolling, albeit the defense did make him work a little bit.

Either way, it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

That being said, I'm glad that it was not us and glad that we have the Mahomes effect.
[Reply]
Coach 09:08 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, but you know as well as anyone that NFL coaches don't coach like that, even in divisional games, because the margins between winning and losing are razor thin, and guys normally err on the side of caution.

If the Chargers had gone for it and not made it, only to see the Chiefs score a TD a few plays later, every talking head would be saying "Why didn't he punt?".

Even Rex Ryan and Ryan Clark agreed with Lynn's choice because that's the way they've been taught to play and coach the game.
And I understand where Rex Ryan and Ryan Clark is saying.

I'm just saying, there isn't an QB that is remotely close to what Mahomes does/do/talent. At some point, should that line of thinking need to be changed because it is Patrick Mahomes, who is probably a generational type of a QB talent?

Most NFL coaches hated doing the shotgun, and it was like a big taboo back in the 90's/early 2000's.

All of a sudden, almost all teams are now using the shotgun as part of their base packages.

That line of thinking changed, that's all. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:11 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by Coach:
That line of thinking changed, that's all. :-)
I don't disagree at all.

But those decisions are long baked into their DNA, especially for the Old School guys like Lynn.

You can't really expect them to change after being in the league for 25 years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:12 PM 09-21-2020
I don't disagree at all.

But those decisions are long baked into their DNA, especially for the Old School guys like Lynn.

Yep, that kind of change happens with generational turnover. It doesn't happen overnight.
[Reply]
Coach 09:18 PM 09-21-2020
I don't disagree at all.

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yep, that kind of change happens with generational turnover. It doesn't happen overnight.
Fair point on both accounts. Too bad some coaches just don't have that innovative or forward-thinking DNA, mainly the old school guys.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:20 PM 09-21-2020
Fair point on both accounts. Too bad some coaches just don't have that innovative or forward-thinking DNA, mainly the old school guys.
Just more reason to love Andy Reid. He's the best combination of old school and innovative.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:20 PM 09-21-2020
When SD decided to punt I said no way they are that stupid. I fully expected a stupid fake punt. When they kicked it and we had the ball back I knew it was over.

Don't ever give Pat the final drive. I doubt you'll ever see another HC repeat that mistake.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:22 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
When SD decided to punt I said no way they are that stupid. I fully expected a stupid fake punt. When they kicked it and we had the ball back I knew it was over.

Don't ever give Pat the final drive. I doubt you'll ever see another HC repeat that mistake.
We’ll definitely see it again this season
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:23 PM 09-21-2020
Do I punt and force Mahomes to go 39 yards in 13 plays, where maybe my defense, which has been playing really well, might stuff them deep in their own end, or get a INT, or recover a fumble, but worse case scenario I make them try to win it off the foot of the kicker, instead of Mahomes hands and feet? From over half a field away?

Or do I go for it and not make it, and give that same Mahomes and crew the ball on my own 30 yard line? A Mahomes-led team that scores TDs from that distance at an historic clip, like around 80% of the time?

I mean, yeah, it's easy to say in hindsight, "well it's Mahomes, you have to go for it," but it took Mahomes and crew 13 plays to cover 39 yards. And then they got stopped.

Lynn's decision forced the Chiefs to put it on Buttker's foot from 58 yards away. And if I were a coach I'd take that over giving Mahomes the ball on my own front porch any day of the week.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:25 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Do I punt and force Mahomes to go 39 yards in 13 plays, where maybe my defense, which has been playing really well, might stuff them deep in their own end, or get a INT, or recover a fumble, but worse case scenario I make them try to win it off the foot of the kicker, instead of Mahomes hands and feet? From over half a field away?

Or do I go for it and not make it, and give that same Mahomes and crew the ball on my own 30 yard line? A Mahomes-led team that scores TDs from that distance at an historic clip, like around 80% of the time?

I mean, yeah, it's easy to say in hindsight, "well it's Mahomes, you have to go for it," but it took Mahomes and crew 13 plays to cover 39 yards. And then they got stopped.

Lynn's decision forced the Chiefs to put it on Buttker's foot from 58 yards away. And if I were a coach I'd take that over giving Mahomes the ball on my own front porch any day of the week.
From 53, 58, and then 58. He could have easily just missed one of them. People are way under thinking this.
[Reply]
Coach 09:35 PM 09-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

I can understand that angle. Fair points. For me personally, the problem is though is because NOT just because it is Mahomes and he's just been too damn good, the Chargers pass-rush wasn't as fearful as it was during the first half.

They burned up their energy quickly. The 4th quarter alone, they were washed out of their pass-rush lanes several times that opened those big holes and allowed Mahomes time to make those plays. The fact that Mahomes just casually picked up 21 yards on a 3rd and 20 tells me that the D-Line was just gassed. And Bosa was being kept out for "obvious" passing downs, even though it was obvious passing downs situation.

I will say this though, the Chargers blew their golden opportunity when they had the ball in the 5 and had to settle for a FG from a 10+ minute drive. That one, I don't think is being talked enough about.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:37 PM 09-21-2020
I will say this though, the Chargers blew their golden opportunity when they had the ball in the 5 and had to settle for a FG from a 10+ minute drive. That one, I don't think is being talked enough about.
Exactly. Not only for the 4-point swing itself but the fact that it probably played into the "punt heard round the world" decision.

They had the ball 1st and goal from the 4 and despite gouging the Chiefs on the ground all day, couldn't punch it in. The Chiefs defensive front put up a hell of a fight late.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:44 PM 09-21-2020
I can understand that angle. Fair points. For me personally, the problem is though is because NOT just because it is Mahomes and he's just been too damn good, the Chargers pass-rush wasn't as fearful as it was during the first half.

They burned up their energy quickly. The 4th quarter alone, they were washed out of their pass-rush lanes several times that opened those big holes and allowed Mahomes time to make those plays. The fact that Mahomes just casually picked up 21 yards on a 3rd and 20 tells me that the D-Line was just gassed. And Bosa was being kept out for "obvious" passing downs, even though it was obvious passing downs situation.

I agree. I actually was surprised that they didn't get in there. But after last season, I just have found a kind of Zen-like faith in Spags/House/Daly. I just knew that would eventually solve Herbert and the Chargers. Just took longer than I thought it would.

Oh, and that 21-yard play was sublime (think you're talking about the tuck and run?). Not very many QBs read that and execute like that.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 10:18 PM 09-21-2020
I look at it like you’re counting on the Chiefs defense being gassed if you make it and you’re eventually able to rip off some big plays. I know some people talked about protecting Herbert and not asking him too much but for them to have won they were going to need him to make a play at some point. I guess those of us on the pro go for it side have been too scarred by Martyball.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Up