ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 115 of 172
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Motorcycle Discussion Thread
Dayze 11:41 AM 06-07-2013
I figure there are some motorcycle guys/gals on CP, so I thought we could have a place to talk all things Motorcycles.

Tire Mount and Balance Prices (as of 10/29/16)

Prices based on if you remove the wheels yourself and bring the wheels and new tires with you:

Cycle Gear - $35 per wheel if you buy tires from them. $58 per wheel if you buy tires elsewhere
Rawhide - $65 per wheel (assuming it would be the same at other HD dealers. they book it at 1/2 hr per wheel)
C R Cycle Tires (DeSoto) - $30 per wheel

Cheapest I've found my Michelin Commander II's. Seem like they have good prices on other brands too.
http://www.jakewilson.com - Free 3 day shipping on orders over $75
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 10:05 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by KC native:
So I was shopping an R6 and while I can make the note easily, the fucking insurance companies all want $330+ for insurance. Fuck that noise.

So, I'm looking at picking up a used V-Rod (09-2010 vintage) or a new 1200 Sportster.

What does the CP braintrust think is the better option of the 2? I'm mechanically capable so maintenance and fixing problems can be done without paying someone.
If you're into the sports bikes... the V-Rod might make the most logical choice for comfort... but you gotta just try them out... I was totally convinced I was getting a Breakout, then i road one and changed my mind quickly...
[Reply]
KC native 10:26 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by Zeke:
If you're into the sports bikes... the V-Rod might make the most logical choice for comfort... but you gotta just try them out... I was totally convinced I was getting a Breakout, then i road one and changed my mind quickly...
Still want the R6 badly. I'm just not willing to pay the fucking awful insurance rate (DFW is stupid expensive for insurance because of the amount of uninsured people and shitty driving leading to higher repair bills).

I'm going to trade in my Speed3 for a Focus RS when they come out so my car payment is going to jump quite a bit (I put down like $7k on my Speed3 when I bought it) so I'm not looking to go all out on a bike payment.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 10:59 AM 06-17-2015
So I was shopping an R6 and while I can make the note easily, the ****ing insurance companies all want $330+ for insurance. **** that noise.

So, I'm looking at picking up a used V-Rod (09-2010 vintage) or a new 1200 Sportster.

What does the CP braintrust think is the better option of the 2? I'm mechanically capable so maintenance and fixing problems can be done without paying someone.
Check out Markel American Ins. Co. They specialize in motorcycle insurance.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 11:00 AM 06-17-2015
All this rain is giving me PMS. (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:04 PM 06-17-2015
Age? Clean record? State Farm always ranks pretty high on motorcycle rags for service and price.
If you’re looking at sport bikes you’re not going to be happy with a Hardly lead sled. Just say’n.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:06 PM 06-17-2015
DFW is stupid expensive for insurance because of the amount of uninsured people and shitty driving leading to higher repair bills.
Ah, location.
Passing an MSF Safety Course will help on insurance, don't know how much but every bit helps.
[Reply]
KC native 01:51 PM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Ah, location.
Passing an MSF Safety Course will help on insurance, don't know how much but every bit helps.
Yes, insurance rates are roughly double what they are in KC.

Safety courses are required in Texas to get your motorcycle endorsement now. I'm signing up for one this summer.

I'm 34 so I'm not married to the sport bike (I want one before I'm too old to comfortably ride one and would like to track it on occassion), but I'm not willing to break my bank to ride one.

I just don't want an obnoxiously slow bike.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 08:54 PM 06-17-2015
Yes, insurance rates are roughly double what they are in KC.

Safety courses are required in Texas to get your motorcycle endorsement now. I'm signing up for one this summer.

I'm 34 so I'm not married to the sport bike (I want one before I'm too old to comfortably ride one and would like to track it on occassion), but I'm not willing to break my bank to ride one.

I just don't want an obnoxiously slow bike.
Insurance in NJ is the worst in the country, as a state. Obviously a specific city may be better or worse, but Progressive had the best rates and coverage for me. I'm a little bit younger than you, but I had the same thought about a sport bike. Ended up not liking any of the super sports I checked out, so I got this:

Bought it 2 years ago and have loved every minute of it. Plenty fast without being a death trap.

Edit: Should also say I took the MSF course before I bought it and it was worth every penny.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 07:25 AM 06-18-2015
Sport bikes aren’t comfortable period, you’re sacrificing ride for performance.
Their riders will try and tell you they are comfortable but when compared to just about any other style of bike they aren’t.
I’ve put in long hours on my old ZX-9 riding with guys on other types bikes and at the end of the day I was more worn out, stressed and sore than they were. Course, we were headed for some twisty roads and once we got there I said bye-bye to all of them, but those are the sacrifices.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:57 AM 06-18-2015
So I was shopping an R6 and while I can make the note easily, the ****ing insurance companies all want $330+ for insurance. **** that noise.

$330 for how long? A year? That doesn't sound that bad to me. Then again, I don't know how much that bike is worth. For me, Geico is the cheapest. I think they quoted me at something like $450 a year. But I have all of my other stuff with AmFam so I just added my bike to AmFam, as well for slight more.

V-Rod is built more like a sport bike. The Sportster will be more comfortable on a longer ride. Like others have said, just take test rides on all of them. Make sure you get the bike you want the first time.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:06 AM 06-18-2015
I should add that my main riding buddy (we ride together all the time) had a VRod for about 3 years. He had to get rid of it I think because his back couldn't take it on rides longer than half an hour to an hour. Plus, it wasn't very good if you plan to have a passenger. He bought a Road King (same exact one as mine) and he's been happy (and comfortable) ever since.
[Reply]
KC native 09:05 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Lzen:
$330 for how long? A year? That doesn't sound that bad to me. Then again, I don't know how much that bike is worth. For me, Geico is the cheapest. I think they quoted me at something like $450 a year. But I have all of my other stuff with AmFam so I just added my bike to AmFam, as well for slight more.

V-Rod is built more like a sport bike. The Sportster will be more comfortable on a longer ride. Like others have said, just take test rides on all of them. Make sure you get the bike you want the first time.
$330+ PER month.
[Reply]
KC native 09:09 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Sport bikes aren’t comfortable period, you’re sacrificing ride for performance.
Their riders will try and tell you they are comfortable but when compared to just about any other style of bike they aren’t.
I’ve put in long hours on my old ZX-9 riding with guys on other types bikes and at the end of the day I was more worn out, stressed and sore than they were. Course, we were headed for some twisty roads and once we got there I said bye-bye to all of them, but those are the sacrifices.
A vast majority of my riding would be short distance. There's also a track that does regular track days that's less than 30 minutes from my house.

I want it for sporty riding, but I'm not going to break my bank for it.

I'll buy a cheaper-to-own bike and save the money and put it into a miata with an LS swap (once I can get my wife to adhere to a fucking budget in the next year).

http://www.motorsportranch.com/
[Reply]
KC native 09:11 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Insurance in NJ is the worst in the country, as a state. Obviously a specific city may be better or worse, but Progressive had the best rates and coverage for me. I'm a little bit younger than you, but I had the same thought about a sport bike. Ended up not liking any of the super sports I checked out, so I got this:

Bought it 2 years ago and have loved every minute of it. Plenty fast without being a death trap.

Edit: Should also say I took the MSF course before I bought it and it was worth every penny.
If I'm going sport bike route, I'm buying an R6.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:13 AM 06-18-2015
$330+ PER month.
You have got to be kidding me!
And what would the cost be for a different bike? Is your driving record bad? High Risk?
God I am glad I live in Iowa. I think I pay $290 a year for my 2011 Triumph Tiger, full on 100 HP bike
[Reply]
Page 115 of 172
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165 > Last »
Up