Page 910 of 934
« First < 410810860900906907908909910 911912913914920 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:34 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Soooo I have a question would appreciate ya'll to check my thinking and I'm sure I'll get flamed oh well....

I accepted a new job that pays 25k more than my current job. Only problem is it's about a 20 min drive and I don't have a car.

I've looked at cars my credit is trash and the interest rates blow as you can imagine.

SO I got on with Lyft. They have this program through Hertz where for $300 a week they rent you car. Unlimited miles, insurance is covered through Lyft/Hertz, maintaince as well. Lyft takes that $300 out of what you make + you have to do atheist 20 rides a week. Between my regular job and driving I'd imagine I'll be working at least 55 hours a week.

My plan is do this til I can put down a great down-payment on a car to have a minimal car payment and once I do that ditch the Lyft job.
Sounds good.

Bust ass. Get yourself out of the hole, and move forward.

I don’t know anything about Lyft. You might get on Reddit. I know they have a Reddit for Lyft. You might be able to get some pointers there.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:39 PM 08-09-2023
How many months at ~$1200/mo is it going to take you to get together a “great” down payment and repair your credit to get the loan terms you want?

That’s the comparison I’d be using vs taking a high interest loan to buy a car outright and build credit
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:40 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Sounds good.

Bust ass. Get yourself out of the hole, and move forward.

I don’t know anything about Lyft. You might get on Reddit. I know they have a Reddit for Lyft. You might be able to get some pointers there.
I've talked to a few people they said my situation is definitely doable. I've read the reddit shit and joined a Facebook group it's just a bunch of people complaining about the pay. I think my situation is different I'm just maintaining having a ride where as they are trying to do it for a living
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:40 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
How many months at ~$1200/mo is it going to take you to get together a “great” down payment and repair your credit to get the loan terms you want?

That’s the comparison I’d be using vs taking a high interest loan a building credit
I'm thinking I'll be good to go after 1-2 months
[Reply]
lewdog 09:18 PM 08-09-2023
Soooo I have a question would appreciate ya'll to check my thinking and I'm sure I'll get flamed oh well....

I accepted a new job that pays 25k more than my current job. Only problem is it's about a 20 min drive and I don't have a car.

I've looked at cars my credit is trash and the interest rates blow as you can imagine.

SO I got on with Lyft. They have this program through Hertz where for $300 a week they rent you car. Unlimited miles, insurance is covered through Lyft/Hertz, maintaince as well. Lyft takes that $300 out of what you make + you have to do atheist 20 rides a week. Between my regular job and driving I'd imagine I'll be working at least 55 hours a week.

My plan is do this til I can put down a great down-payment on a car to have a minimal car payment and once I do that ditch the Lyft job.
That's not horrible but you need to look at what a down payment on a car in your price range might be.

Lets say you decide you are buying a $10k car. Spending almost 25% of that car value to rent a car for 2 months doesn't make much sense. If you don't have that much for a down payment and need those 2 months to save for one, then that makes the decision for you and you move ahead with your plan.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:22 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That's not horrible but you need to look at what a down payment on a car in your price range might be.

Lets say you decide you are buying a $10k car. Spending almost 25% of that car value to rent a car for 2 months doesn't make much sense. If you don't have that much for a down payment and need those 2 months to save for one, then that makes the decision for you and you move ahead with your plan.
I hear ya 10k is what I'm thinking however he's my reservation on that. What kind of car am I getting for 10k? Like is it going to be a money pit where I'm spending 5-600 every few months? That doesn't seem like a good investment maybe I'm wrong?
[Reply]
lewdog 09:26 PM 08-09-2023
I hear ya 10k is what I'm thinking however he's my reservation on that. What kind of car am I getting for 10k? Like is it going to be a money pit where I'm spending 5-600 every few months? That doesn't seem like a good investment maybe I'm wrong?
Just get a reliable brand where engine issues are very unlikely. Other maintenance might come up but other things shouldn't be that expensive.

Honda or Toyota sedans are about as cost effective as you can get and engines that go forever. And if you can save more over the next few years, in 2 years you can upgrade your ride but at least you aren't putting in $2,400 just to "rent" a car for a few months.
[Reply]
-King- 09:55 PM 08-09-2023

If you can afford $1200 a month on a car why don't you just get a shit box that will run for a few months?
[Reply]
-King- 09:58 PM 08-09-2023
You can easily get a solid car for 10k. It'll be a mid 2000s but still decent.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 10:02 PM 08-09-2023
Bad news: I got laid off last Wednesday. I hadn't even been in the position for six months yet.

Good news: I got an offer letter for a new position today. $5K more than the last one and I still get to work fully remote.
Plus I'm getting 60 days' pay + two weeks' severance so I am basically collecting two paychecks for the month of September.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:03 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
Bad news: I got laid off last Wednesday. I hadn't even been in the position for six months yet.

Good news: I got an offer letter for a new position today. $5K more than the last one and I still get to work fully remote.

Plus I'm getting 60 days' pay + two weeks' severance so I am basically collecting two paychecks for the month of September.
Congrats man, that's awesome.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 10:14 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Congrats man, that's awesome.
Thanks. I never thought I would be thankful for getting laid off, but the timing is pretty much perfect. Hopefully the new gig lasts longer.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:52 AM 08-10-2023

That is awesome news. More money with the new job, still remote which saves money as well, and you get to double dip for a month.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:17 AM 08-10-2023
Great news, bud.

Now you just need to get a second gig with your new employer's competitor and you'll be golden!
[Reply]
myselff77 02:50 PM 08-10-2023

Congrats. Were you already looking for the new position before you got laid off or it was just that quick finding the new gig once it happened?
[Reply]
Page 910 of 934
« First < 410810860900906907908909910 911912913914920 > Last »
Up