ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 26
« First < 121819202122 23242526 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Houston Astros get hammered for cheating
siberian khatru 12:59 PM 01-13-2020

BREAKING: Per sources, MLB’s penalties for #Astros include:

*One-year suspensions for GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch.

*Losses of 1st and 2nd round draft picks in both 2020 and ‘21.

*A fine of $5M.

Full story and more context with @EvanDrellich: https://t.co/djvKEYFiC7

— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 13, 2020

No players were disciplined by Major League Baseball in the Astros' investigation. While Mets manager Carlos Beltran was part of it, he was a player at the time and thus was not suspended.

Discipline for Red Sox manager Alex Cora is coming. It is going to be harsh, per sources.

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 13, 2020

Jim Crane just fired Jeff Luhnow and AJ Hinch.

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 13, 2020

[Reply]
Kman34 11:48 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If anyone thinks that the Astros are the only team with an elaborate sign stealing scheme I have bad news for you...they got busted but this shit is pervasive in baseball.
This is what I was thinking.... I think the outrage is a bit overblown...
[Reply]
Mecca 11:50 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
This is what I was thinking.... I think the outrage is a bit overblown...
It is, it's just like the steroids shit, baseball doesn't really care and now we have journalists and players acting all pissed off when no one cared 5 minutes ago.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:51 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Go ahead and name all the ones using live video and a wireless communications system to do so.
The Dodgers and Yankees were both accused of it......remember the Apple watch bonanza?
[Reply]
TEX 11:51 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Go ahead and name all the ones using live video and a wireless communications system to do so.
Um...here ya go.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ns/2831990001/
[Reply]
TEX 11:53 AM 02-19-2020
If anyone thinks that the Astros are the only team with an elaborate sign stealing scheme I have bad news for you...they got busted but this shit is pervasive in baseball.
Yep. And those screaming loud now (Yankees & Dodgers) were also accused of it a few years ago. In fact, all teams were sent "Because of past instances, FROM THIS POINT GOING FORWARD" letters that outlined the GM and Managers would be punished if it were to happen again. And THAT is where the Astros and Red Sox ****ed up because they continued doing it and got caught.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:10 PM 02-19-2020
It is, it's just like the steroids shit, baseball doesn't really care and now we have journalists and players acting all pissed off when no one cared 5 minutes ago.
The problem is that baseball doesn't care but the fans do. Selig could have solved the steroids problem but he instead used steroids to make more money for the league. On this issue, couple of us pointed out that signals should probably be sent electronically. Manfred knew this was a problem a few years ago when a few teams got caught doing it. Why didn't he do anything about it? I care a lot more about preventing cheating than I do punishing for it, and for whatever reason Manfred chose to do pretty much nothing.
[Reply]
cripple creek 12:14 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Well at least they have the Texans.
:-)
[Reply]
TEX 12:15 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The problem is that baseball doesn't care but the fans do. Selig could have solved the steroids problem but he instead used steroids to make more money for the league. On this issue, couple of us pointed out that signals should probably be sent electronically. Manfred knew this was a problem a few years ago when a few teams got caught doing it. Why didn't he do anything about it? I care a lot more about preventing cheating than I do punishing for it, and for whatever reason Manfred chose to do pretty much nothing.

Exactly the case. Maybe the reason he did nothing is because of the owners.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:19 PM 02-19-2020
I agree with most of this, except WRT the commissioner. Selig and Manfred are just puppets for the owners. Neither one has acted on their own thoughts. They’re just doing what the owners tell them to.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:22 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by TEX:
Um...here ya go.

thats why I was saying in the thread earlier, you have to put the death penalty on the table to prevent the cheating. The tech is just too easy to put in place.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:30 PM 02-19-2020
Bud Selig wanted to keep baseball in 1957 and basically wanted to use collusion as a way to stop salary increases. Manfred wants the MLB to be the NBA because they've shown growth when baseball is a regular season sport etc...

Neither one has been good.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 01:11 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
thats why I was saying in the thread earlier, you have to put the death penalty on the table to prevent the cheating. The tech is just too easy to put in place.
I actually buy Manfreds explanation for not going death penalty to Houston. That it means inventing punishments that didn't exist which causes all kinds of mlbpa headaches. But that doesn't excuse him. He's known about this for years and under his watch they didn't have a plan for how to address this. More importantly... As soon as teams got busted for apple watches the league should have fast tracked electronic signs. A few people have pointed out how this seems like the best way to cut out a lot of the cheating.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:29 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by TEX:
Um...here ya go.

Common denominator: Alex Cora.

I think it's a bit much to say that this level of cheating was prevalent just because Joe Torre had issued a warning the prior season. More likely a couple of notable clubs (hi, Boston!) were toeing the line and MLB didn't want to come down hard on them, so they reiterated a final warning. But that doesn't remotely make it okay to engage in this level of cheating before or after the fact.

I'm a Mets fan and I think this should absolutely cost Beltran his spot in the Hall of Fame. I don't know about stripping the Astros of their title, but if one can put a real, genuine asterisk on it in the Hall of Fame and elsewhere, I think that would be appropriate.

I just don't know how I'd deal with it if I were an Astros fan. What if you found out the Chiefs had cheated in some way to win the Super Bowl? I know a lot of you might be like, "Don't care one bit," but it would completely diminish the achievement for me and probably irreparably damage my love of the team and the sport. Glad we don't have to deal with that as so many poor, suffering Patriots fans do...
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:04 PM 02-20-2020
More and more stuff continues to surface. Somebody is going to have to do something.
[Reply]
CarlosCarson27 09:30 PM 02-20-2020
They aren't taking away the trophy. So, what ever.
Just another dumb, unimportant, pointless sports story.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 26
« First < 121819202122 23242526 >
Up