ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 213 of 221
« First < 113163203209210211212213 214215216217 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:22 PM 05-15-2023
Trying to fish the ocean in a kayak has always looked like a bad idea IMHO
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:29 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Trying to fish the ocean in a kayak has always looked like a bad idea IMHO

It's usually good fun. A lot of fish can drag you around out there. Makes for a lot of giggles. Can get too hot, currents can drag you pretty far before you notice, wind can make getting anywhere you want to go a huge PITA, but sharks aren't usually a normal issue. Never had one be a problem, and only saw them too close for comfort a couple times. Dolphins can scare the crap out of you until you figure out they aren't sharks.
[Reply]
Rasputin 12:13 AM 05-16-2023
I love Kayak fishing buy I'd need a bigger Kayak to fish the ocean like the size of a yacht.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:38 AM 05-25-2023
What is your go to lure when you are having no luck?
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:40 AM 05-25-2023
Dynamite
[Reply]
loochy 09:32 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
What is your go to lure when you are having no luck?

power bait
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:11 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
It's usually good fun. A lot of fish can drag you around out there. Makes for a lot of giggles. Can get too hot, currents can drag you pretty far before you notice, wind can make getting anywhere you want to go a huge PITA, but sharks aren't usually a normal issue. Never had one be a problem, and only saw them too close for comfort a couple times. Dolphins can scare the crap out of you until you figure out they aren't sharks.
You forgot to mention one thing

https://weather.com/science/nature/v...SABEgLHzvD_BwE
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 10:39 AM 05-25-2023
Went Sturgeon fishing last week on the Willamette River in Oregon. It was a blast. There were 5 of us in the boat and we caught 18 total in 6 hours. Catch and release only. anything under 54" you can pull into the boat. anything longer has to stay in the water. Our guide measured the big ones in the water with a piece of rope looped on one end. I pulled up a 72" monster (for me anyway). It took me 30 min to get it to the boat. I'd get him within 50 feet of the boat and he would take off 200 feet. Those are some odd fish. Look prehistoric to me
[Reply]
Graystoke 11:59 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
Went Sturgeon fishing last week on the Willamette River in Oregon. It was a blast. There were 5 of us in the boat and we caught 18 total in 6 hours. Catch and release only. anything under 54" you can pull into the boat. anything longer has to stay in the water. Our guide measured the big ones in the water with a piece of rope looped on one end. I pulled up a 72" monster (for me anyway). It took me 30 min to get it to the boat. I'd get him within 50 feet of the boat and he would take off 200 feet. Those are some odd fish. Look prehistoric to me
That sounds like a blast. Congrats on landing the big one. What is the estimated weight of that?
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 12:23 PM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
That sounds like a blast. Congrats on landing the big one. What is the estimated weight of that?
I am pretty sure he weighed around 100lbs. One of the guys in our boat caught one a bit shorter but the girth was over 30". It had to be closer to 130 lbs. That one took him about 50 min to get to the boat.
They are the strangest looking fish I have ever hooked. The spines are like ice picks.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:30 PM 05-25-2023
Poor man's lobster
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 01:00 PM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Poor man's lobster
Never had it (sturgeon) and I don't eat lobster. The guide said sturgeon is ok, but the river sturgeon are a bit gamey.
[Reply]
booger 01:58 PM 06-20-2023
Opinions on 9-12’ rods for shore fishing for crappie. Brands you like etc. ultra light, light, medium light. Or do you just prefer 6-7’? Give me some opinions
[Reply]
loochy 02:12 PM 06-20-2023
Originally Posted by booger:
Opinions on 9-12’ rods for shore fishing for crappie. Brands you like etc. ultra light, light, medium light. Or do you just prefer 6-7’? Give me some opinions

9-12'? Are you trying to jig in timber?
[Reply]
booger 02:30 PM 06-20-2023
Originally Posted by loochy:
9-12'? Are you trying to jig in timber?
I know of several spots on a few small lakes and decent sized ponds up here in Iowa that they put Christmas trees with cinder blocks tied to hold them down and they put them out on the ice and once it melts it sinks. Got pictures on my phone of them still sitting on the ice so I’ve landmarked the spots. Lots are going to be hard to cast to on windy days. These spots from shore I will jig from yes but also minnows and a slip bobber. I have the ultra light 5-5.5’ rods but want to try one with some length to help cast to the further out spots once they move into deeper areas. I have plenty of reels so trying out a 10-12’ one for 40-80 bucks is worth a shot. Just never used one before
[Reply]
Page 213 of 221
« First < 113163203209210211212213 214215216217 > Last »
Up