ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 281 of 386
« First < 181231271277278279280281 282283284285291331381 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:00 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Oh, and although I dislike the handling of the dragons' demises so far, I'm still enjoying the show. It's generally when I log in to the message boards that I start disliking episodes. This board, though, is downright complimentary of the show compared to another board I'm on, which has about 90% of the board just completely trashing each and every aspect of every episode. I've basically stopped reading that board.
Multiple marvel boards I read have gone that way about Endgame. I think it's just a part of how toxic fandom and social media are about basically anything now.

With that said, I don't know how well BB does in this era. Some scenes would have caused an internet uproar for sure.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:02 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Here's something you just wanna yell at the screen, though - and this is coming from someone that's hated Dany from her introduction (she's even worse as book Dany).

Varys, Tyron - maybe she's not actually the Mad Queen. Maybe she's just pissed off because she keeps listening to you ****ing guys and you keep getting her allies and dragons killed. Maybe the master of whisperers and spy chief inside Kings Landing should've known that they had a bunch of goddamn missiles on the walls. Maybe the guy that came up with "lets divide our forces and sail through where the iron fleet already ambushed us once" could've come up with a viable overall defense of your troop carriers.

Maybe she's mad because the one person that seems to have given her any advice worth a shit just got her head chopped off when her hand, once again, couldn't convince his sister to come in out of the rain.

Her advisers have failed her miserably, she's not terribly pleased about any of this and those same advisers reaction is "well clearly she's just crazy...."

Huh? Isn't this like ****ing your wife's sister and then calling her irrational for getting upset when she finds out?
Completely agreed.

Dany's not the mad queen, but she's a ruthless conquerer. The choice is whether or not a ruthless conquerer should be a ruler at all - which I think is GRRM's overall point.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:04 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Right, but these are things we have to assume based on how it's worked in the show's history.

DaFace knows this. He just wants to see it fleshed out. Like i said, in the past, they'd spend an entire episode or more on Missandei's capture.

We don't have that luxury anymore.
I guess that's where I'm frustrated. What actually happened to cause them to suddenly feel like they had to rush through things so much? This is a cash cow for them, so what was the reason for wanting it to end?

For the record, I'm not near as irritated about Missandei as I am about all of the other stuff that's been discussed in depth already (Bran is useless, not being on the lookout for enemy ships, arrows that have more power than cannons, dragons that are famed for their strength but go down without a fight, Bronn thinking that threats are going to pay off, Varys deciding that it's a good idea to tell Tyrion he's probably going to commit treason, Arya just kind of...wandering off..., etc.).
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:09 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I guess that's where I'm frustrated. What actually happened to cause them to suddenly feel like they had to rush through things so much? This is a cash cow for them, so what was the reason for wanting it to end?

For the record, I'm not near as irritated about Missandei as I am about all of the other stuff that's been discussed in depth already (Bran is useless, not being on the lookout for enemy ships, arrows that have more power than cannons, dragons that are famed for their strength but go down without a fight, Bronn thinking that threats are going to pay off, Varys deciding that it's a good idea to tell Tyrion he's probably going to commit treason, Arya just kind of...wandering off..., etc.).

I'll repaste my overall thoughts of the series here.

If I had a time machine, endgame style, GRRM never gives up ASOIAF until he was finished with the series.

I think Seasons 7-8 showcase why this guy can’t finish the books. These endings feel like broad concepts. Season 6 worked so well because he set up Winds of Winter a lot like Storm of Swords, it was all payoff - which D&D are great at.

Seasons 7-8 required a lot of plotting that we ultimately never received. It took required rising actions and removed their second acts to accelerate to the end game. D&D just do not have the talent for a second act. If only they could have poached some of Breaking Bad's/Better Call Saul's writing staff after Season 4 (when GRRM left). Though the primary critique of BCS is that they never leave the second act, the last two seasons of GOT have badly needed it in their writing. There have been great moments in Seasons 7-8, but they’ve removed a lot of the plotting that enriches the payoff of these moments - which Game of Thrones was brilliant at in the past.

Unless the ending does something unbelievably stupid (it was all a dream, Dany and Jon get a Disney ending, etc) it won’t ruin the show for me - and at the very least it’ll give this series an ending. Maybe one day we’ll see how GRRM gets there too, and maybe not.
[Reply]
kcpasco 11:12 AM 05-06-2019
Arya is gonna stab Jon in the neck with needle. Rip off her face and be shown to be the real NK this entire time. Proceeds to raise the dead, queue music, series over.
[Reply]
FAX 11:22 AM 05-06-2019
I love this show. I really do. And I rarely get excited about anything on teevee other than Chiefs football ... actually ... that's about it; GOT and the Chiefs. Howevah ...

If they are "speeding things up", why have two practically identical scenes with Tyrion and Varys discussing their "treasonous thoughts"? Those were valuable minutes that could have been used to; 1) Show Arya & Sansa react to Jon's true identity, 2) Solve the riddle of Messandre's capture, 3) Explain how Bronn knew where Tyrion and Jamie were and how to find them alone, or 4) Other cool stuff.

It's the need to rationalize and explain things that are inconsistent with established characters' motivations or simply fast-tracked to the point of near-nonsense that bothers me. I shall now provide an example ...

I've figured out that Dany flew her dragons into a trap because Varys KNEW that the fleet was there and the enemy had built dozens of giant arrow shooters ... some of which had been outfitted on the ships. He KNEW this because Varys has Little Birds who told him. That explains why Dany was ambushed ... it was sabotage by Varys. He set her up.

Now, why should I have to manufacture that explanation when televising a simple convo between Varys and a Little Bird or a quick shot of Varys reading a Raven Note would get the message across? Answer? I shouldn't ... because that's probably not what happened at all.

When the audience is this invested in a show, the characters, the world they inhabit, and the challenges they face, it's damn unfair to have to do the writers' thinking for them. I thought the idea was to entertain us ... not drive us insane.

FAX
[Reply]
Amnorix 11:43 AM 05-06-2019
Some great memes I saw today.

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:54 AM 05-06-2019

[Reply]
Shoes 12:04 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:

My thoughts exactly- seems rushed and the writing in this last season isn't up to the standards of previous seasons. The series is not ruined for me or anything but it seems that this show is heading towards an unsatisfying conclusion.
[Reply]
Jerm 12:09 PM 05-06-2019

[Reply]
FAX 12:12 PM 05-06-2019

I found where she got the Starbucks cup from #GameofThrones pic.twitter.com/46XztK2QjV

— John Beck (@johnbeck_) May 6, 2019

[Reply]
FAX 12:13 PM 05-06-2019

GoT set person 1: Who left a Starbucks cup in the shot?

GoT set person 2: I don’t know. Check for a name.

GoT set person 1: (picks up cup and examines) A cup has no name.

— The Volatile Mermaid (@OhNoSheTwitnt) May 6, 2019

[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:27 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Shoes:
My thoughts exactly- seems rushed and the writing in this last season isn't up to the standards of previous seasons. The series is not ruined for me or anything but it seems that this show is heading towards an unsatisfying conclusion.
See: Martin, George R.R.

Then D&D, HBO, BBC, and everyone else who initially agreed to an adaptation that did not have an ending.
[Reply]
Bump 12:27 PM 05-06-2019
I thought it was kind of dumb that they just walked right up and demanded surrender after they just casually killed one of her dragons. Like, you kind of lost a lot of leverage there. And why didn't they just wipe them out while they were standing there? Cersei doesn't care about honor.
[Reply]
Setsuna 12:32 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I see Varys as looking to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem like it did with Aerys. Varys claims to look out for the 7 kingdoms themselves not its monarch and war due to an unstable monarch is bad for the kingdoms.

She burned prisoners alive which is a big no no even back in Medieval times. They are good as hostages at least not to mention trying to sway them to your side.
I'm sorry she burned all of 2 prisoners? I'm sorry were they soldiers or not? I'm sorry they just massacred House Tyrell and sacked their kingdom. I'm sorry they allied with a Lannister when they are sworn to Targaryen. I'm sorry what arguments do you have left again? None? Ok cool.
[Reply]
Page 281 of 386
« First < 181231271277278279280281 282283284285291331381 > Last »
Up