ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 386
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100150 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:43 PM 08-07-2017
I don't understand why proof of Whitewalkers should preclude Dany from still wanting Jon to bend the knee so that she has total control. Just because he is right about it doesn't mean she doesn't still want to be in charge of that territory and eliminating that threat, especially given its her dragons and army that would be put on the line. She has referenced how she believes the best times Westeros had where when a Stark was Warden in the North to a Targaryan so she wants to return to that.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 01:46 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Again - there's no such thing as 'out of the reach' of the undead. They can reanimate anything. Moreover, they're going to eventually be among your own cities and castles - how precise you think dragonfire is in close quarters? It would be like carpetbombing enemies at your own gates.

There are myriad of reasons why 'duh - dragons' isn't the answer for the Walkers. And if the Walkers had a dragon of their own, this shit is over.
What could they reanimate, besides a dragon, that would kill a dragon? I'm really struggling to see what you're imagining.

Unfortunately, rather than sending in an infantry to attempt to kill the army, which in turn would strengthen their already superior numbers, you would most likely have to give up on the city they are currently in, and nuke the whole place from orbit. This isn't a modern-day world. You could easily scorch a significant amount of them between the Wall and Winterfell with minimal loss to the citizens. This isn't urban warfare.

Much like a city being quarantined, you'd have to keep the spread limited, or everyone suffers.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:50 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I don't understand why proof of Whitewalkers should preclude Dany from still wanting Jon to bend the knee so that she has total control. Just because he is right about it doesn't mean she doesn't still want to be in charge of that territory and eliminating that threat, especially given its her dragons and army that would be put on the line. She has referenced how she believes the best times Westeros had where when a Stark was Warden in the North to a Targaryan so she wants to return to that.
Then go win.

She also keeps saying she has a right to a throne that was lost after her dad got his ass kicked. And her family only ever had ANY claim on the throne because they had !@#$ing dragons after Valyria went splodey. Back home the Targaryans were exceedingly mediocre, fringe nobles. They effectively showed up with smallpox like the Europeans coming to the Americas. They weren't special back home - they just had something that nobody had ever seen or had an answer to.

She has no 'divine right' to the iron throne. And if she wants to burn shit down and take it by force - good on her. Baratheon wasn't a usurper - he won, fair and square. Her 'claim' was extinguished when Robert took the throne. Now she's just another rebel - no different than Jon. She has no cause to claim right over Jon - if you want the throne, go win it. And when you're done if you think dragons can tame the north - good luck...

And if she wants to rule a continent and not just its zombified remains, she'll get in line as well. Because people keep wanting to act like this isn't an infestation and they'll just wander along in a massive hoard. No - they'll spread. The walkers will spread across the north and trickle down - dragons aren't land forces that can root them out. They're air power that can do great things to a poorly moving monolith but as soon as the Walkers get a footing in Westeros (which they'll do if Jon and the northmen don't hold them down), it's game over for Dany.

She can't allow the walkers to get to population centers. They'll take root and spread and there's nothing she'll be able to do about it via dragonfire.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:01 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
What could they reanimate, besides a dragon, that would kill a dragon? I'm really struggling to see what you're imagining.

Unfortunately, rather than sending in an infantry to attempt to kill the army, which in turn would strengthen their already superior numbers, you would most likely have to give up on the city they are currently in, and nuke the whole place from orbit. This isn't a modern-day world. You could easily scorch a significant amount of them between the Wall and Winterfell with minimal loss to the citizens. This isn't urban warfare.

Much like a city being quarantined, you'd have to keep the spread limited, or everyone suffers.
Doesn't have to kill the dragon - just the riders.

Send a swarm of 1,000 sparrows at a dragon and the dragon has a single point of fire - it's mouth. It can't just wipe them all out; large numbers of physically inferior creatures can still overwhelm it. Especially when the swarm will be comprised of creatures with a hive mind and an agility advantage. Try shooting a swarm of ants with a pistol - ain't gonna work.

You overwhelm the dragon and attack the rider. If the rider dies, presumably the dragon gets the hell out of dodge. In either event - how is Dany going to lose a dragon in the north to eventually become an ice dragon if the Walkers don't have a way to kill one as it stands? And if they had a dragon presently, Bran or someone staring into a fire would've seen it by now.

There's no way an ice dragon makes sense. If they can kill one to convert it, Westeros is proper fucked. If the presently lack a way to kill one, how are they going to get their hands on a corpse? Now that would be one hell of a deus ex machina right there.

And we're still watching pixelated CGI to support this idea? C'mon...
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:21 PM 08-07-2017
Then go win.

She also keeps saying she has a right to a throne that was lost after her dad got his ass kicked. And her family only ever had ANY claim on the throne because they had !@#$ing dragons after Valyria went splodey. Back home the Targaryans were exceedingly mediocre, fringe nobles. They effectively showed up with smallpox like the Europeans coming to the Americas. They weren't special back home - they just had something that nobody had ever seen or had an answer to.

She has no 'divine right' to the iron throne. And if she wants to burn shit down and take it by force - good on her. Baratheon wasn't a usurper - he won, fair and square. Her 'claim' was extinguished when Robert took the throne. Now she's just another rebel - no different than Jon. She has no cause to claim right over Jon - if you want the throne, go win it. And when you're done if you think dragons can tame the north - good luck...

And if she wants to rule a continent and not just its zombified remains, she'll get in line as well. Because people keep wanting to act like this isn't an infestation and they'll just wander along in a massive hoard. No - they'll spread. The walkers will spread across the north and trickle down - dragons aren't land forces that can root them out. They're air power that can do great things to a poorly moving monolith but as soon as the Walkers get a footing in Westeros (which they'll do if Jon and the northmen don't hold them down), it's game over for Dany.

She can't allow the walkers to get to population centers. They'll take root and spread and there's nothing she'll be able to do about it via dragonfire.
As far as Dany is concerned the Whitewalkers are just another threat to "her" kingdom, regardless of how she finds out about it or who notified her of it. Whatever realities or histories exist don't really matter in the context of what she believes to be her right to the throne because ultimately she has the superior force to Jon and all the other houses.

She believes herself with the Dragons to be invincible. As far as she is concerned if Jon doesn't bend the knee then he doesn't get her help. He already said that likely means the North falls to the Whitewalkers so she probably figures once that happens she will just destroy the Whitewalkers. In that sense, from her perspective, either way she gets the North.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:39 PM 08-07-2017
I'll readily eat crow if and when my ice dragon theory is proven wrong, and you can mock me while I do it. But as of this second, I just don't see any other way the Night King can defend against three dragons firebombing them, unless he's got some dragon killing weapon/spell in his back pocket that we've yet to see. THAT would be a deus ex machina of ridiculous proportions...
[Reply]
vailpass 03:03 PM 08-07-2017

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:03 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'll readily eat crow if and when my ice dragon theory is proven wrong, and you can mock me while I do it. But as of this second, I just don't see any other way the Night King can defend against three dragons firebombing them, unless he's got some dragon killing weapon/spell in his back pocket that we've yet to see. THAT would be a deus ex machina of ridiculous proportions...
Doesn't have to defend against them - just propagate.

Like I said - if the Walkers get a foothold in the north, the Dragons can't defeat them, at least not without razing the entire countryside. If one single walker lives, he just gets to killing people nearby and re-establishing his army. Meanwhile 3 dragons can't cover an entire continent.

Dany's wrong if she things she can just let them wipe out the north then clean it up later. If that happens, she's ruling ashes.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:06 PM 08-07-2017
Doesn't have to defend against them - just propagate.

Like I said - if the Walkers get a foothold in the north, the Dragons can't defeat them, at least not without razing the entire countryside. If one single walker lives, he just gets to killing people nearby and re-establishing his army. Meanwhile 3 dragons can't cover an entire continent.

Dany's wrong if she things she can just let them wipe out the north then clean it up later. If that happens, she's ruling ashes.
Yep.
Has it been established whether the Night King can pass the wall now that Bran is on the other side? Or does he have to go around it?
[Reply]
vailpass 03:28 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:

[Reply]
Buehler445 03:34 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by vailpass:
:-)

That would so be me.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 03:34 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Camp Ice Dragon!!! I'm riding with you, homie!!
[Reply]
vailpass 03:37 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
:-)

That would so be me.
Right? That one cracked me up.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:00 PM 08-07-2017
This dude's recap captions are on point, but this week's are particularly hilarious:

http://imgur.com/a/TWGgF
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:34 PM 08-07-2017

[Reply]
Page 50 of 386
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100150 > Last »
Up