ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 163
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
onescrewleftuntwisted 07:26 PM 10-29-2005
i am into squirrel, rabbit, quail, pheasant.

i will use eather my old ruger .22, or my 20 gauge, they both work well but the .22 reloads alot faster

and as far as dogs go i use two jack russels, all i got to do is nock the squirrel out of the tree they catch it kill it an bring it back to me, and most of the time don't have to shoot the rabbits them dogs will catchem and killem. not the greatest bird dogs, but i'm working on that.
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:36 PM 10-29-2005
I spent the day in the timber....in the wind with a cold. Saw nothing but turkeys from my honeyhole stand.

This afternoon, Yunghungwell and I went timberhopping to try to rattle in a bruiser. No succes.

It supposed to rain tomorrow, and I'll be sitting in it, 30 minutes before first light. Tommorrow is my day........or the day after.

I can think of alot worse ways to spend an afternoon that to be in the woods in a tree, listening to bucks you never see fight.

Rutt in 1 week is my estimate..Some bucks are on does, but they need another glass of wine or something first.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:05 PM 10-29-2005
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I spent the day in the timber....in the wind with a cold. Saw nothing but turkeys from my honeyhole stand.

This afternoon, Yunghungwell and I went timberhopping to try to rattle in a bruiser. No succes.

It supposed to rain tomorrow, and I'll be sitting in it, 30 minutes before first light. Tommorrow is my day........or the day after.

I can think of alot worse ways to spend an afternoon that to be in the woods in a tree, listening to bucks you never see fight.

Rutt in 1 week is my estimate..Some bucks are on does, but they need another glass of wine or something first.
It is going to be raining tomorrow here as well, but what the hay. I could care less and it will put a little hair on the youngster. I already told him I am only bringing one bullet so make it count. :-) In reality, I have a box and a half for my Sako in the event something happens like a scope knock, but you can drill nails with that gun. if he shoots and the monster buck runs off, it's not the gun. :-)
[Reply]
onescrewleftuntwisted 08:25 PM 10-29-2005
when it rains the leaves dont make as much noise when you walk
[Reply]
Bwana 09:08 PM 10-29-2005
Originally Posted by onescrewleftuntwisted:
when it rains the leaves dont make as much noise when you walk
Exactly and it's not as loud when the hairy forest creature hits the dirt. :-)
[Reply]
KC Kings 09:38 PM 10-29-2005
Originally Posted by redhed:
I do my bowhunting w/ a 12 gauge.
LC Smith, kinda old.

Seriously, I don't think I could get close enough to bag any game w/ a bow. Sounds like a hoot though...

Can't wait to go w/ the old man.
Last year they listed .410 as an acceptable shotgun to hunt deer with in Missouri, so my Dad took his side by side. We busted his balls pretty good about taking along his mag light incase he emptied both barrels and pissed the deer off, he would be able to defend himself. He shot a decent 8 pointer with a lung shot, he ran about 30 yards and dropped.

I was reading the game regulations this year, and it says that there is not going to be any in-person checkins this year. All deer are checked in over the phone.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:42 AM 10-30-2005
everything around my place is moving funny this year- had 3 bucks real real early cross a draw in the morning & one two weeks ago hop the fence but thats it for daytime bucks.
lots of does eating outta the food plots.

i mowed paths in the woods to clear lanes for the deer.

think this could part of the reason theyre moving funny this year?
[Reply]
Chiefnj 08:44 AM 10-30-2005
Regular bow season ended on Friday. I was shut out. I've got to wait to til winter bow to try to fill the freezer. Saw some big bruins this year while waiting for dear that never showed.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 09:42 AM 10-30-2005
Originally Posted by MOhillbilly:
everything around my place is moving funny this year- had 3 bucks real real early cross a draw in the morning & one two weeks ago hop the fence but thats it for daytime bucks.
lots of does eating outta the food plots.

i mowed paths in the woods to clear lanes for the deer.

think this could part of the reason theyre moving funny this year?

In Oklahoma and Kansas hunters just move up the time on the feeder to get the deer moving sooner.

:-)
[Reply]
Bwana 06:31 PM 10-31-2005
Interesting day in the field. We get up at 3 AM, I put down about a pot of coffee and we hit the road. After driving across roads that were about like jeep trails we arrive. The guy that owns the land goes my the nickname of "Swede." Swede is a nice enough guy but he is out there in right field a little bit and does have some of the biggest deer in the United States running around on his land. He laid some restrictions on Junior which were, you cant shoot anything other than a 3 or 4 point, (6 or eight point to you eastern boys) and you can't shoot a doe. I was thinking WTF, most guys want you to thump a doe if you will do it. I had no restrictions, just hunt and have fun. His land is river bottom and a lot of it and the land supports A LOT of Whitetail. The problem is, with no snow and what turned out to be limited rain, two people walking across the land sound like a heard of elephants gone wild. They deer could hear us coming a mile away. When we did see something, all it would be was a "white flag" going the wrong direction. I could see we were going to get no place fast by walking so I went to plan B. Sitting in one spot where we could see the river bottom in front and the woods in back. Sure enough around night, things started moving around, but nothing but does. I passed up several NICE 5x5 bucks earlier in the day. At this point, I am going to wait it out for the monster or take a pass. I told Jr that we would go back until he gets some shots, so the hunt continues. :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:06 PM 10-31-2005
Skunked.

Only things worth mentioning are a bobcat sighting on my dad's place, and a squirrel running up my tree and circling between the back of my head and the tree. Damn near jumped out. I hate those tree rats.

Next week will be the rutt, hopefully less wind and more deer.
[Reply]
philfree 08:45 PM 10-31-2005
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Skunked.

Only things worth mentioning are a bobcat sighting on my dad's place, and a squirrel running up my tree and circling between the back of my head and the tree. Damn near jumped out. I hate those tree rats.

Next week will be the rutt, hopefully less wind and more deer.
Skunked.........Nothing worse then wading into 4' tall grass behind your locked up bird dog only to realize he's pointing a skunk when you're about 5' away. You wanna see fat honkie back pedal like Deon Sanders just watch me.

I'm not a big game hunter but I am gettin out in the morning and running Casey my Setter for the bird season opener. He's gotta alot of pen rust and the owner does too. Heading for SD on Friday for a three day hunt. Can't wait!

PhilFree:-)
[Reply]
Bwana 10:06 AM 11-06-2005
I am going to wait until it snows or rut at this point. Anyone having any luck??
[Reply]
Iowanian 06:23 PM 11-06-2005
I still got nuttin....7+hrs in a tree yesterday, and saw.....1 deer.

I think brideowanian put Wolf piss in my cover scent.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 10:18 PM 11-06-2005
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I am going to wait until it snows or rut at this point. Anyone having any luck??

Guys around here are saying it is really slow. 'Course the other day I had to run my AC - IN NOVEMBER!?!?!?!?!. The heat CAN'T be helping.

I've been too busy building a second smoker to get out so I will probably opt out of archery again this year. However, I did buy a fresh batch of 100 gr rockets to load a fresh batch of 257 ackleys with - deer inside a quarter mile won't be safe come rifle season.:-)
[Reply]
Page 22 of 163
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Up