ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 13
« First < 289101112 13 >
Media Center>The Greatest Live Albums ever recorded. Who ya got?
scho63 05:09 AM 04-23-2020
I realize that bands like the Beatles had no real "live" albums and it started around the late 70's - early 80's.

So who has the greatest LIVE albums?

I'll start with the (3) that made the most impact on me:

1. Kiss ALIVE!
2. Frampton Comes Alive!
3. Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo!

Maybe it was the "exclamation points" that did it for me! :-)

What live stuff rocked your world? :-)

EDIT: Bootlegs prior to real LIVE albums don't count. Having someone steal Hendrix before he ever made his own live album doesn't count.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:09 PM 07-19-2020
Dart posted a few months back REO You get what you play for.
I agree. That got me thru HS college and moving my ass to CO.
The other album that comes up is a soundtrack/ live performance/ concert recording
The Song Remains The Same by the too heavy to fly airship- Led Zeppelin
I had a dream a crazy dream
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:18 PM 07-19-2020
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
I remember back when Pearl Jam was on top of the world. They did a live concert that was broadcast on the Point in St Louis. It was live from the Fox in Atlanta. I recorded that in cassette tape, and listened to it so many times it broke.
ThePoint was life, there for a while.

Have PointEssentials V1-4.

The day V1 came out, leisurely walked down to VintageVinyl and picked up 2 copies for $5 apiece, one for me, one for GF. By the end of the day, it was sold out citywide and was one of the first things I can recall getting scalper's prices on the internet.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:37 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
I remember back when Pearl Jam was on top of the world. They did a live concert that was broadcast on the Point in St Louis. It was live from the Fox in Atlanta. I recorded that in cassette tape, and listened to it so many times it broke.

The Soldier Field 1995 show is pretty dope AF, too...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:46 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I think you told me about that! Mad jealous of course. He seems like a likable dude so I’m always glad to hear those stories.
I saw Pearl Jam on "The Hill" at KU back in March 1992, before they broke on MTV, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.

The band was absolutely perfect, as was Eddie Vedder, who scaled the approximately 25 foot tall light truss and hung on with one hand while singing. The crowd wasn't very interested and there was probably less than 1,000 people in total watching, even though the band was on fire.

I saw them again at the Gibson Amphitheater (now Harry Potter's Castle at Universal Studios) back in 2010 and that show was absolutely amazing. Not only had the members of the band matured greatly in terms of their playing, Eddie Vedder was better than ever.

The highlight of the night was the encore: Chris Cornell joined Pearl Jam for Temple of the Dog's "Hunger Strike" and "Reach Down", which blew the roof off the joint. Jerry Cantrell joined them onstage for a rendition of Them Bones by AIC, which was freaking awesome as well.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:59 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I saw Pearl Jam on "The Hill" at KU back in March 1992, before they broke on MTV, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.

The band was absolutely perfect, as was Eddie Vedder, who scaled the approximately 25 foot tall light truss and hung on with one hand while singing. The crowd wasn't very interested and there was probably less than 1,000 people in total watching, even though the band was on fire.

I saw them again at the Gibson Amphitheater (now Harry Potter's Castle at Universal Studios) back in 2010 and that show was absolutely amazing. Not only had the members of the band matured greatly in terms of their playing, Eddie Vedder was better than ever.

The highlight of the night was the encore: Chris Cornell joined Pearl Jam for Temple of the Dog's "Hunger Strike" and "Reach Down", which blew the roof off the joint. Jerry Cantrell joined them onstage for a rendition of Them Bones by AIC, which was freaking awesome as well.
Holy shit that's awesome. Cornell at the end would have had me JIMP.

I've seen them 3 times and was scheduled to see #4 before COVID took over. They are still amazing live and always play minimum 3 hour sets.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:14 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Holy shit that's awesome. Cornell at the end would have had me JIMP.
Long story short, I knew a record label guy who worked back in KC that always turned me on to new bands long before they hit.

I saw a band at the Lone Star in KC in 1990 when they opened for Extreme (who had a couple of multiplatinum albums at the time). The A&D guy said that they had no idea how to market them; they weren't Hair Metal and they weren't Heavy Metal so their idea was to market them to College Radio but he said whatever I do, I HAVE to check them out.

The band? Alice In Chains. I literally bought the album the very next day because I remembered all of their songs and couldn't get them out of my head.

The same guy also turned me to on Mother Love Bone, before their first album was released (and obviously, before the great Andy Wood died). I thought the album was really cool and really diverse. I'd never really heard a "Rock Band" write a song like Chloe Dancer. It wasn't an 80's Power Ballad - it was something far more "real", kind of like if Elton John and Bernie Taupin went to a dark place one night.

About a year or so later, this same guy handed me a CD that was going to be released in the next few months and told me check it out asap because some of the guys from Love Bone were on the record, along with my favorite singer (maybe of All Time), Chris Cornell.

Suffice to say, it's a Top 5 album for me and in some years, definitely #1, so seeing and hearing it live, just a few feet away from me, was indescribable.
[Reply]
eDave 10:06 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Long story short, I knew a record label guy who worked back in KC that always turned me on to new bands long before they hit.

I saw a band at the Lone Star in KC in 1990 when they opened for Extreme (who had a couple of multiplatinum albums at the time). The A&D guy said that they had no idea how to market them; they weren't Hair Metal and they weren't Heavy Metal so their idea was to market them to College Radio but he said whatever I do, I HAVE to check them out.

The band? Alice In Chains. I literally bought the album the very next day because I remembered all of their songs and couldn't get them out of my head.

The same guy also turned me to on Mother Love Bone, before their first album was released (and obviously, before the great Andy Wood died). I thought the album was really cool and really diverse. I'd never really heard a "Rock Band" write a song like Chloe Dancer. It wasn't an 80's Power Ballad - it was something far more "real", kind of like if Elton John and Bernie Taupin went to a dark place one night.

About a year or so later, this same guy handed me a CD that was going to be released in the next few months and told me check it out asap because some of the guys from Love Bone were on the record, along with my favorite singer (maybe of All Time), Chris Cornell.

Suffice to say, it's a Top 5 album for me and in some years, definitely #1, so seeing and hearing it live, just a few feet away from me, was indescribable.
I saw STP in some small bar in Bakersfield when I lived there. Talked a bit with them as I always do with acts as small bars. Friendly enough, Perry has a 1000 yard stare. They weren't STP yet. Had a similar encounter with Korn in Bakersfield. 1989 or 90.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 01:47 PM 07-22-2020
All the great voices of 90s Grunge are dead but Vedder.
Sucks big time.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:18 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I saw STP in some small bar in Bakersfield when I lived there. Talked a bit with them as I always do with acts as small bars. Friendly enough, Perry has a 1000 yard stare. They weren't STP yet. Had a similar encounter with Korn in Bakersfield. 1989 or 90.
Who TF is Perry?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:26 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
They were called Mighty Joe Young before they signed with Atlantic and changed their name. They'd been on the Sunset Strip for years, as well as Orange County and other places that would book them.

I never met Weiland but I did run into the DeLeo brothers quite often and they were cool dudes. Same for their drummer, Eric Kretz.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:47 PM 07-22-2020
In college I bought a bootleg of a LZ concert that was hands down the best live album I've ever listened to. The whole band was on point that night. Bonzo played an exposition of "Moby Dick" that was epic, and Page was perfect. He even played an acoustic classically-inspired 15 minute solo that was the most incredible guitar solo I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Unfortunately when I got separated from the ex she threw it away, along with my entire collection of vinyl. Over 600 albums.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:05 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
In college I bought a bootleg of a LZ concert that was hands down the best live album I've ever listened to. The whole band was on point that night. Bonzo played an exposition of "Moby Dick" that was epic, and Page was perfect. He even played an acoustic classically-inspired 15 minute solo that was the most incredible guitar solo I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Unfortunately when I got separated from the ex she threw it away, along with my entire collection of vinyl. Over 600 albums.
Ugh!

Do you remember what year that show was from?
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:07 PM 07-22-2020
hey rabble, hey Dane

I don't mean to step on toes while you two are doin' the fag dance. But I wonder what either/both of you think of SRV Mr. Clean. Its a pretty expensive CD.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:40 AM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
When you hit the guitar solo. . .

When you've towelled yourself down, go 'Have A Cigar.'
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:31 AM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

Does the title "Destroyer" ring a bell? That was a Cleveland 1977 show double CD. That was one of my best sellering bootlegs when I ran my mail order import CD business in the 90's and 2000's. It had many different covers, but usually the title Destroyer, probably sold for $20 or $25 bucks. If Buccaneer Records sounds familiar, then you bought it from me.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-destroyer/
[Reply]
Page 12 of 13
« First < 289101112 13 >
Up