ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 82 of 319
« First < 32727879808182 8384858692132182 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:10 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
They can certain help against tight ends...and did you watch what Mccafrey did to our lb's last season? The best defenses have good lb's who can go sideline to sideline..so no, it would not be a terrible pick imo.
Good nickel defenses have safeties to do that job.

This isn't a Tampa 2 zone defense.

Yes, it would be a TERRIBLE pick.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:15 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You can replace Niemann in FA or the middle-to-late rounds.

There is no reason to spend high draft capital on a LB that won't even play that many snaps.

We already have Willie Gay for that.
Neiman is the very definition of a JAG. As you state, he can be replaced in low level FA or in the middle of the draft.

Hitchens and Gay as the primary guys is very doable. I'm actually more concerned about getting a legit edge rusher
[Reply]
RunKC 09:18 AM 02-17-2021
You can replace Niemann in FA or the middle-to-late rounds.

There is no reason to spend high draft capital on a LB that won't even play that many snaps.

We already have Willie Gay for that.
Yeah that’s pretty much what I’m advocating. I would consider drafting one in the 3rd if the value is there but otherwise I’d try to get a guy with measurables and speed in the mid rds
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:20 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
Neiman is the very definition of a JAG. As you state, he can be replaced in low level FA or in the middle of the draft.

Hitchens and Gay as the primary guys is very doable. I'm actually more concerned about getting a legit edge rusher
A better edge rusher opposite Clark makes everybody's job easier.

Devin White struggled in pass coverage throughout the year but locked it down in the Super Bowl because he didn't have to actually cover. Just make sure he maintained his zone for the split second it took for the pass rush to get home.

LB's in this league are NEVER plus in coverage, even the best ones struggle because offenses scheme to expose them. Linebackers are primarily there for run support and overflow protection.

Could we use improvements? For sure, but not at the expense of another high draft pick when we already took Gay last year. This team can't afford to just stack positions, or they're going to have gaping holes soon.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:20 AM 02-17-2021
I’m all about surrounding Mahomes with a great team everywhere, but if push comes to shove, OL and receiver help >> defense.

He had one of the worst defenses in franchise history and was a penalty away from still taking us to the Super Bowl.

Keep that offense stocked every year and we always have a great shot.
[Reply]
O.city 09:20 AM 02-17-2021
LB is a little undervalued thoigh. Look at the last couple teams in the super bowl from the nfc side.

Doesn’t mean you gotta take them early, but they can’t keep trotting Nieman types out
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:22 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
LB is a little undervalued thoigh. Look at the last couple teams in the super bowl from the nfc side.

Doesn’t mean you gotta take them early, but they can’t keep trotting Nieman types out
True.

But there’s a big difference in upgrading Niemann and using a 1st or 2nd round pick on the position. Especially when we have a 2nd round pick invested from just last year.

You’d only take LB that high if he was by far the BPA. Which it won’t be with this OL and WR class.
[Reply]
O.city 09:23 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
True.

But there’s a big difference in upgrading Niemann and using a 1st or 2nd round pick on the position. Especially when we have a 2nd round pick invested from just last year.

You’d only take LB that high if he was by far the BPA. Which it won’t be with this OL and WR class.
Just have to see how it plays out.

Imo, the chiefs are at a spot with roster building where they just need to keep infusing talent. Doesn’t matter where, don’t pigeonhole yourself. Difference makers are what win in the league.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:32 AM 02-17-2021

Tampa uses its LB's VERY differently than what the Chiefs do, FWIW. LB's have a more pronounced role in their defense.

Take a look at the Ravens for an example of how that works in the opposite. They had clear needs on offense and took a LB instead, based on his upside.

He ended struggling most of the year, their defense actually got a bit worse, and the fans talk about him like we talk about Mecole Hardman.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:33 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
True.

Exactly.

This is a very deep draft for DE, WR, and OT. Possibly one of the better ones in recent memory.

There's almost no chance LB is BPA at 31.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:36 AM 02-17-2021
Just have to see how it plays out.

Imo, the chiefs are at a spot with roster building where they just need to keep infusing talent. Doesn’t matter where, don’t pigeonhole yourself. Difference makers are what win in the league.
This is especially true with first round picks. Unless there is an outstanding offensive line talent sitting there, its best to just draft the best playmaker on the board regardless of position. I don't care if its a DE, CB, WR, TE, LB, or some other position. Teams always need more playmakers.
[Reply]
wachashi 09:37 AM 02-17-2021
This team took CEH last year at the end of the first round, and that wasn't a glaring need at the time. The conventional wisdom on "value" would say you don't take running backs in the first round either. I don't think linebacker is completely off the table in the first. If Zaven Collins is there at 31, how angry would this board be if the Chiefs took him?
[Reply]
O.city 09:43 AM 02-17-2021
Tampa uses its LB's VERY differently than what the Chiefs do, FWIW. LB's have a more pronounced role in their defense.

Take a look at the Ravens for an example of how that works in the opposite. They had clear needs on offense and took a LB instead, based on his upside.

He ended struggling most of the year, their defense actually got a bit worse, and the fans talk about him like we talk about Mecole Hardman.
The ravens offense struggled because their qb can’t consistently throw the football. Everything else there is noise in Baltimore.

I think having elite lbers that can stay on the field all 3 downs is just so much of an advantage for the defense vs the run and pass.

I don’t have a clue if there’s one of those guys in this draft to pair with gay, but if they think there is I’d have no problem with drafting him
[Reply]
O.city 09:44 AM 02-17-2021
Exactly.

This is a very deep draft for DE, WR, and OT. Possibly one of the better ones in recent memory.

There's almost no chance LB is BPA at 31.
If it’s deep at a position, wouldn’t that make it smarter to draft other positions that aren’t as deep and wait on the deeper ones?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:44 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by wachashi:
This team took CEH last year at the end of the first round, and that wasn't a glaring need at the time. The conventional wisdom on "value" would say you don't take running backs in the first round either. I don't think linebacker is completely off the table in the first. If Zaven Collins is there at 31, how angry would this board be if the Chiefs took him?
A RB is more valuable than a LB at #31.

A LB is more valuable than a RB at #11.

I would never draft a RB top 15. Vice versa, I would draft a LB there because that's where the blue chippers go. After that though, there's a HUGE drop off in both performance and value.

No, I wouldn't like taking Collins at #31. I think that's a terrible use of resources. That being said, I will be the least of the board's worries if this team takes ANYTHING other than OL with that pick.
[Reply]
Page 82 of 319
« First < 32727879808182 8384858692132182 > Last »
Up