ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 66 of 79
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Should the Chiefs have drafted Watson over Mahomes?
Deberg_1990 01:08 PM 10-01-2017
Another strong game today for Watson. 3 TDs against the Titans so far.

Kid just seems to have 'It'.

Discuss.....
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:54 PM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Cowboys

If Jerry truly wanted Dak he’d have signed him, but he didn’t. Watson is a much better QB and could have a chance with those weapons.
Watson has already had a chance with weapons.

No, you shouldn't neuter him like the Packers are doing to Rodgers, but he DOES need a damn defense if he's going to win anything substantial in the next several years.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:01 PM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Not an unfair analysis. Deshaun seems to get a pass where other QBs get ripped for similar flaws. He had a 24-0 lead in the playoffs and lost by 20. That is not entirely the fault of O’Brien. Deshaun had plenty of chances on the field to keep that game competitive in the 2nd half.
Actually it was on the defense. That defense gave up a TD when the opponent had at least one first down inside their RZ 74% of the time against the league. Not against the top tier offenses, but the league. And not just scores, but TDs.

When they faced the Chiefs in the divisional, and had to play against the best offense in the NFL, well they were going to give up a lot of TDs, period. And Watson doesn't play defense.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 10:21 PM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Watson has already had a chance with weapons.

No, you shouldn't neuter him like the Packers are doing to Rodgers, but he DOES need a damn defense if he's going to win anything substantial in the next several years.
He's not. No one will in the AFC as long as the Chiefs have Mahomes.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:31 PM 08-24-2020
I hope this is proof that anybody who looks at the body of work from a college QB and says, "I can't explain it... but he's just a winner!" is a fucking pea wit.

Yes, Watson is a very good NFL QB, but as it turns out, the guy with the losing record in college is the REAL clutch QB. Imagine that! How could that be?

Maybe because winning in college is COMPLETELY different than winning in the pros?
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:32 PM 08-24-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
He's not. No one will in the AFC as long as the Chiefs have Mahomes.
I mean like... going to conference championship games and stuff like that. Something the Texans have never done in their history.

If Watson went to an NFC team, he could also wind up playing in a Super Bowl if he had the right cast.

But those are a lot of "if"s
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 07:45 AM 08-25-2020
My god this thread makes me laugh every time it pops up
[Reply]
TEX 07:49 AM 08-25-2020
I hope this is proof that anybody who looks at the body of work from a college QB and says, "I can't explain it... but he's just a winner!" is a ****ing pea wit.

Yes, Watson is a very good NFL QB, but as it turns out, the guy with the losing record in college is the REAL clutch QB. Imagine that! How could that be?

Maybe because winning in college is COMPLETELY different than winning in the pros?

Regarding that, the guy with the losing record in college kept his overmatched team in most games almost single handedly. Veach has said that was a major key in their decision-making.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:16 AM 08-25-2020
Obviously.

Ken Dorsey, Steve Walsh, Gino Torretta, Matt Leinart, every Nebraska QB during their glory years, Chris Weinke, etc.

All are Exhibit A's.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:27 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Wasn't really my point. Unfortunately, his "crossroads" so to speak just happens to be coming at the absolutely wrong time for him. It's the curse of playing reasonably well for a shit regime. They're not going to just let him walk away so he really can't do anything but let them pay him.
Sure.

But what I'm saying is that I'm not sure Watson is the level of elite to have much of a complaint here.

He's not Manning, Brady or Brees. He's not Rodgers and he's not Ben, IMO.

Go back to the beginning of the Patriots run and you have how many SBs won by guys who weren't better QBs than Deshaun Watson? Eli won a couple, Flacco won one. I think Watson and Wilson are probably on similar footing (the year that Wilson won - Wilson's now a better player than Watson).

One can say he's a victim of unfortunate timing who's unlikely to win a championship due to circumstance, but over the last 20 years, there's been maybe 3-4 championships won buy guys who weren't flat-ass better than Deshaun Watson is.

I'm just honestly not sure there's a place that would clearly help him in that regard. I don't think there's a right 'crossroads' for him, other than falling into a premier system like Eli did. And ultimately that kind of system can drag Jimmy Grapes mediocre ass to success (or Eli Mannings, for that matter, who's never been a top 10 QB in the league, IMO) so I think it's more of a truism than anything.

I think the 'why sign long-term when you can't win a championship there?' thing is often overstated, especially for marquee positions. In MOST cases you're unlikely to end up in a landing spot where you're going to win a championship. So you might as well get paid. And Houston's a sizeable media market w/ plenty of local opportunity and wealth so he has avenues outside of the game for exposure.

I just don't see things changing a ton for him regardless of his timing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:42 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Sure.

But what I'm saying is that I'm not sure Watson is the level of elite to have much of a complaint here.

He's not Manning, Brady or Brees. He's not Rodgers and he's not Ben, IMO.
Can't disagree with that, no. But this league does have a habit of over-rewarding QB play simply because there's not enough truly good ones. We'll never know with Watson because he's probably stuck in Houston regardless.

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Go back to the beginning of the Patriots run and you have how many SBs won by guys who weren't better QBs than Deshaun Watson? Eli won a couple, Flacco won one. I think Watson and Wilson are probably on similar footing (the year that Wilson won - Wilson's now a better player than Watson).

One can say he's a victim of unfortunate timing who's unlikely to win a championship due to circumstance, but over the last 20 years, there's been maybe 3-4 championships won buy guys who weren't flat-ass better than Deshaun Watson is.

I'm just honestly not sure there's a place that would clearly help him in that regard. I don't think there's a right 'crossroads' for him, other than falling into a premier system like Eli did. And ultimately that kind of system can drag Jimmy Grapes mediocre ass to success (or Eli Mannings, for that matter, who's never been a top 10 QB in the league, IMO) so I think it's more of a truism than anything.

I think the 'why sign long-term when you can't win a championship there?' thing is often overstated, especially for marquee positions. In MOST cases you're unlikely to end up in a landing spot where you're going to win a championship. So you might as well get paid. And Houston's a sizeable media market w/ plenty of local opportunity and wealth so he has avenues outside of the game for exposure.

I just don't see things changing a ton for him regardless of his timing.
Can't necessarily disagree with any of this either. It's just that the circumstance of timing will probably prevent any of us, including Watson himself, from ever knowing for certain.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:11 AM 08-25-2020
Cowboys and Houston should switch QBs.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:14 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Cowboys

If Jerry truly wanted Dak he’d have signed him, but he didn’t. Watson is a much better QB and could have a chance with those weapons.
Watson is better than Dak? That's debatable...
[Reply]
DRM08 09:14 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Actually it was on the defense. That defense gave up a TD when the opponent had at least one first down inside their RZ 74% of the time against the league. Not against the top tier offenses, but the league. And not just scores, but TDs.

When they faced the Chiefs in the divisional, and had to play against the best offense in the NFL, well they were going to give up a lot of TDs, period. And Watson doesn't play defense.
Watson still had plenty of chances to keep that game competitive. If the roles were reversed, Mahomes would not have lost by 20 after leading by 24.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:19 AM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Watson is better than Dak? That's debatable...
It's Alex Smith vs. Eli Manning 2.0

Both guys have serious flaws in their games but approach it in a completely different manner. Manning knew he wasn't a precise short-passer so he became something of a mad bomber and traded risk for reward. He knew he was not significantly less likely to throw a pick or misfire on a short pass, so he threw deep to try to make the reward higher and offset marginally increased risk.

Smith wasn't someone who was comfortable taking deep shots so he leaned into the fact that he was pretty precise underneath.

Both guys were probably about equally useful, equally productive quarterbacks. It their peaks, they were in the upper level of second tier quarterbacks.

Dak is Alex to Watson's Eli. I don't think either of them were truly demonstrably better than the other, but they did things in a decidedly different way. And the latter's way is probably more useful in the post-season because it can dig you out of the hole that you'll inevitably find yourself in at least once if you're playing 3 quality playoff caliber teams.

I don't think either guy is clearly better than the other at his particular style, but I think Watson's style is more conducive to post-season success than Dak's.
[Reply]
kcjayhawks5 09:21 AM 08-25-2020
Watson is overrated. He’s good but wildly overrated. Glad we got Mahomes. And no Watson wouldn’t be better with our receivers. Mahomes is just better. At everything.
[Reply]
Page 66 of 79
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076 > Last »
Up