ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 386 of 460
« First < 286336376382383384385386 387388389390396436 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge***
smittysbar 11:49 AM 05-11-2008
Okay, here is a place for the Golfers to talk about tournaments, clubs, swing help or thoughts.

Today is the Players Championship, which I think ought to be the 5th Major. Largest pot in the PGA. The daunting 17th, which seems to bring excitement every year. At least we will get to see Sergio blow up yet again.

I am ready to see some water balls!
[Reply]
philfree 10:30 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by Miles:
I’ve always casually wanted to try hitting something like those or a persimmon wood that actually had a grip on them that wasn’t as old as the club. Imagine they are quite punishing but the only time I’ve messed around with them was with a slick and falling apart grip.
Here's a beauty. A 1978 Ben Hogan Classic.
[IMG][/IMG]
[Reply]
BWillie 10:30 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by Miles:
I’ve always casually wanted to try hitting something like those or a persimmon wood that actually had a grip on them that wasn’t as old as the club. Imagine they are quite punishing but the only time I’ve messed around with them was with a slick and falling apart grip.
Last year I was playing at Ironhorse in Leawood and was paired with a guy with not only a persimmon wood but one from like 1910 with a wood shaft. He let me hit it and it wasn't very forgiving but when you hit it on the screws I was surprised how far it went. I hit one with it about 260 so about 30 yards shorter even when you nut it.
[Reply]
Miles 10:33 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Last year I was playing at Ironhorse in Leawood and was paired with a guy with not only a persimmon wood but one from like 1910 with a wood shaft. He let me hit it and it wasn't very forgiving but when you hit it on the screws I was surprised how far it went. I hit one with it about 260 so about 30 yards shorter even when you nut it.
Nice experience. Bet is was fun to dick around with that old equipment.
[Reply]
philfree 10:37 PM 03-20-2021
I'd be afraid it would break. What kind of ball did he/you use. A Noodle or something soft like that. Or an old Acushnet Club Special.
[Reply]
Miles 10:45 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
Here's a beauty. A 1978 Ben Hogan Classic.
[IMG][/IMG]
Also curious about the aging when I see something similar laying around. Figure the hosel was tightly spun and head a brightly polished wood? There is a course I occasionally play in Austin that had two bags of old school clubs in the pro shop but I’ve never asked about hitting them since the grips were so bad.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:02 AM 03-21-2021
My dads friend plays in woodshaft / feathered balls only tournaments , I think they have to wear knickers too. I bought a set of knickers I wear at charity events/fundraiser or for fun you definitely get a lot of looks.
[Reply]
philfree 09:13 AM 03-21-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
My dads friend plays in woodshaft / feathered balls only tournaments , I think they have to wear knickers too. I bought a set of knickers I wear at charity events/fundraiser or for fun you definitely get a lot of looks.
I had the idea that the PGA Tour should hold an event where the players would use equipment from the past. I think it would be interesting to see if they could adjust.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:18 AM 03-21-2021
I had the idea that the PGA Tour should hold an event where the players would use equipment from the past. I think it would be interesting to see if they could adjust.
This sounds really cool and all that but people like Bryson DeChambeau would be destroying clubs. The modern clubs are barely designed to handle the clubhead speed that he produces. The old persimmon drivers would be in splinters.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:01 PM 03-21-2021
A few years back at the British they did a photo op with current players wearing old time outfits and using the original clubs. Even teed it up on a tuft of sand

They were amazed how much harder it was

Miguel, Westwood and Willett as 1930s golfers...

The full video here. #HickoryChallenge pic.twitter.com/gmJsBFc8hu

— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) September 4, 2016

And pro tracer of one shot

[Reply]
philfree 12:58 PM 03-21-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
A few years back at the British they did a photo op with current players wearing old time outfits and using the original clubs. Even teed it up on a tuft of sand

They were amazed how much harder it was

And pro tracer of one shot

That's pretty neat. I knew Payne Stewart before he ever put on a pair of knickers.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:44 PM 04-02-2021

Phil Mickelson recorded a 10 on the 18th hole tying his second highest score on TOUR. pic.twitter.com/fxyX7IMDq1

— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) April 1, 2021

[Reply]
BWillie 10:20 PM 04-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
The geezer tour is calling your name Phil
[Reply]
philfree 10:30 AM 04-03-2021
For the Bushwood crowd. https://www.williammurraygolf.com/
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:39 AM 04-06-2021
For the Bushwood crowd. https://www.williammurraygolf.com/