ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Coen Brothers to reboot Scarface
BigRedChief 10:31 PM 05-14-2020
Why?

Luca Guadagnino will direct the #Scarface reboot with a script by the Coen brothers https://t.co/FFd56Xkxde pic.twitter.com/mDO6XcViaq

— Variety (@Variety) May 14, 2020

[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:31 PM 05-14-2020
They are trying to strike gold twice after the remake of True Grit.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 12:57 AM 05-15-2020
have seen scarface several times, and have always thought it was overrated.

Decent, but nowhere near the hype that surrounds it.

We're not talking Godfather or Goodfellas here......
[Reply]
Cheater5 05:27 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:

Unpopular take, but I agree. There are iconic scenes from Scarface, but IMO there are better mobster movies that are underrated.

Before anyone says "C5 says 'Scarface' sucks! He sucks!" Gimme a break, man. It's a cool ass movie, but I just feel there are others out there I enjoy more not named Godfather I & II, or Goodfellas.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:47 AM 05-15-2020

Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Unpopular take, but I agree. There are iconic scenes from Scarface, but IMO there are better mobster movies that are underrated.

Before anyone says "C5 says 'Scarface' sucks! He sucks!" Gimme a break, man. It's a cool ass movie, but I just feel there are others out there I enjoy more not named Godfather I & II, or Goodfellas.
Very overrated movie. As you say it has some very iconic scenes, and is a good movie overall.

I'd rather watch Goodfellas.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:59 AM 05-15-2020

It’s pure over the top cheese, but that’s the appeal of it.

But DePalma directed the hell out of it.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:05 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
It’s pure over the top cheese, but that’s the appeal of it.
We used to laugh at the cheesy parts : "why don't you take your head and stick it up your ass, see if it fits..."

"Another quaalude and she'll love me in the mornin'!"
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 07:12 AM 05-15-2020

Watch the 1932 iteration the progenitor of the 1983 De Palma film
[Reply]
bowener 07:59 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Watch the 1932 iteration the progenitor of the 1983 De Palma film
This. Coens will do it justice. I feel like I've heard about them wanting to do this before.

edit:

Shit! They got Luca Guadagnino to direct. That is going to be awesome. The film will certainly be beautiful, incredibly acted, and incredibly edited.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:03 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Cheater5:

agreed - and in my younger days, I was a DePalma fan (he directed one of my all-time favorites "The untouchables"....which does have my all-time favorite movie scene: Train station stairs shootout - which is a homage/steal from "Battleship Potemkin".....but i digress...).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:12 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Why?
It's a great, well-known property, which is half the battle when trying to put asses in the seats. There have been many attempts as reboots over the years but this is definitely the most promising crew I've seen to date.

I missed the Oliver Stone penned version back in the 80's and didn't see it until sometime this decade. IMO, this property is ripe for a remake because that version is just sooooooooooooooooo cheesy. From Pacino speaking like he has a speech impediment to Giorgio Moroder's ridiculously over the top electronic score, it comes across as more of a parody than an actual life or death, blood and guts film.

I'd imagine that this version will be the exact opposite: Dry, unemotional and to the point. The biggest question I have at this point is the setting: Will it be set with Capone in the 30's or will they go for a modern setting featuring a Mexican drug lord, like other recent attempts?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:16 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's a great, well-known property, which is half the battle when trying to put asses in the seats. There have been many attempts as reboots over the years but this is definitely the most promising crew I've seen to date.

I missed the Oliver Stone penned version back in the 80's and didn't see it until sometime this decade. IMO, this property is ripe for a remake because that version is just sooooooooooooooooo cheesy. From Pacino speaking like he has a speech impediment to Giorgio Moroder's ridiculously over the top electronic score, it comes across as more of a parody than an actual life or death, blood and guts film.

I'd imagine that this version will be the exact opposite: Dry, unemotional and to the point. The biggest question I have at this point is the setting: Will it be set with Capone in the 30's or will they go for a modern setting featuring a Mexican drug lord, like other recent attempts?
It's gonna be an LA story, dunno if they've set the era.
[Reply]
sully1983 10:21 AM 05-15-2020
Wonder who will play Scarface?

I think Oscar Issac would be perfect (he previously worked with the Coens' in Inside Llewyn Davis and he looks the part).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:26 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
It's gonna be an LA story, dunno if they've set the era.
Thanks! I just Googled and forgot that this has been in the making for several years.

I *hope* it's a period piece because there's not much interesting about a crime movie set in modern Los Angeles although if anyone can pull it off, it would be the Coen's.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:29 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Wonder who will play Scarface?

I think Oscar Issac would be perfect (he previously worked with the Coens' in Inside Llewyn Davis and he looks the part).
It all depends on the budget set by Universal. If it's smaller, they'll go with a name guy who's rate is more reasonable, in the hopes that the Coen's and Guadagnino's name pulls in audiences.

If they're given a larger budget, expect it to be a top line A-lister.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up