ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>OMG... A.J. Epenesa. Sheeeit.
Dante84 12:32 PM 04-16-2020
Just getting around to watching video on some first round guys I haven't checked out yet.

How...how is this guy not a top-10 pick? He looks like *prime* JJ Watt in these highlights.

He's destroying Saquad...by destroying his quads...

He's batting passes. He's playing read-options perfectly. He's crushing dudes. He's got a nasty attitude.

Like, is there any chance he's available when we pick?

[Reply]
staylor26 02:49 PM 04-16-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think it's bend that gets him knocked a bit.

He can show a little stiff at times. Sort of a rich man's Eric Hicks in a way - Hicks could be damn productive at times but if you could force him out wide, he wasn't gonna bend the edge and dip a shoulder to cut around you.

I think Epenesa is better at EVERYTHING than Hicks, but ol' Hicks gets a bit of a bad rap as a pass rusher because how often that bootleg ate his ass alive. He was a quality player for most of his career.

Make that 2002 version of Hicks a premier run defender as well and you have something similar to what Epenesa will be. Take the average of that 5 year run from 99 through 2003, add another 25% to it and I think you get something really similar to Epenesa.
Oh I totally get the lack of bend thing. That’s why I thought he was overrated at the beginning of the process, but that’s also always been known. It seems as if it’s the combine/testing that’s pushed him even further down the board (if he really goes late 1st to early 2nd, if so that’s silly).

He’s easily a top 20-25 prospect in this class IMO.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 02:50 PM 04-16-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I’m basing this on all of the current noise that he’s going to fall out of round 1. There’s a lot of smoke.
Vikings, Seahawks and Patriots all have legit needs at DE, and Miami to a lesser degree (I think all of the Dolphins first round picks will be dedicated to offense).

I can’t see him getting past New England, with the need they have and him being an Iowa product as Belichick and Ferentz are tight. The only way New England steers away from Epenesa is if they feel there is a bigger need in their aging secondary and links to McKinney/Alabama have been rumoured.

If AJ is still around at 32, Chiefs needs be damned and they best snatch him up
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:58 PM 04-16-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Oh I totally get the lack of bend thing. That’s why I thought he was overrated at the beginning of the process, but that’s also always been known. It seems as if it’s the combine/testing that’s pushed him even further down the board (if he really goes late 1st to early 2nd, if so that’s silly).

He’s easily a top 20-25 prospect in this class IMO.
I'm inclined to agree.

But I think he'll slip a bit because he lacks versatility. I don't think 3-4 teams will be eager to put him out there as a 5-tech and he's not a stand up backer.

So as a 1st round prospect, he's strictly a 4-3 possibility. And so that takes a few teams off the board.

Then when he's a real possibility in the early late teens, early 20s, it will only take 2-3 guys who see someone they like just a little more to keep him falling.

It won't be because of a mediocre combine (I just don't think teams take those as seriously as we do), but it might be because he's just a little less dynamic and a little less versatile than what teams look for in pass-rushers in the 1st round.

But yeah, he's a great pick for KC if he gets to us.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:04 PM 04-16-2020
I’d be happy with him.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:32 PM 04-16-2020
Nice. Was working on my final 2020 mock and had him fall to KC where I mocked him. I'd put it at relatively probable he's there. Obviously there's teams out there with needs, but he doesn't particularly fit some teams as a 4-3 base end type. I think he'd be a great fit with Clark on the other side.

By the way Northman, everything in Minnesota points to them starting Odenigbo opposite Hunter this year from his production last year to his coach saying it's likely. I'd guess they stick to their norm and take a pass rusher late day 2 or some time day 3 and keep churning them out.

As for Seattle, they took Collier in round 1 last year to develop as their base end. They need a Leo because Irvin isn't a long-term solution. I don't think they look as hard at Epenesa as they would a guy like Baun or Lewis.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:45 PM 04-16-2020
I was watching film on him the other day and then pulled up some mocks . they pretty much all have him going before 25. NE came up several times.

I don't think he's Veaches type.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:00 PM 04-16-2020
He has very long arms.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:14 PM 04-16-2020
I'd love AJ to be a Chiefs, but he screams Patriots or Seahawks to me.

Dude will be a steal. I've seen these analysts pulling out tape from his first game as a true freshmen and having problems with it. No shit.

If you have watched this guy play, he's the real deal.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:16 PM 04-17-2020
I dont think hes there, but if he is he feels like one of those guys you just cant let get away.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:14 AM 04-18-2020
He is a guy that in a 4-3 is not ideal as en edge rusher so on early downs he does his job and holds the edge.

Then on passing downs you move him inside and let him beat up a guard.

That's more Patriots stuff then what we are probably looking for.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:58 PM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
He is a guy that in a 4-3 is not ideal as en edge rusher so on early downs he does his job and holds the edge.

Then on passing downs you move him inside and let him beat up a guard.

That's more Patriots stuff then what we are probably looking for.
Yep, less than ideal. Just 22 sacks and 30.5 tackles for a loss the past 2 seasons in the BIG10... Considering Young had 27 sacks and 35.5 tackles for a loss the past 2 seasons, effectively blowing Epenesa out of the water, I'd suppose he's not a guy you want pushing the pocket from the edge in the NFL.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:24 PM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by Toad:
Stupid spell check!

Epenesa falling to 32....
I will piss on the grave of whoever invented spell check
[Reply]
SAGA45 09:32 PM 04-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
He had a shitty Combine, so there’s that....
So did Jared Allen...
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:02 PM 04-19-2020
Again, and I'm not a GM, but I think there are >32 first round talents this year. That means, necessarily, some of those talents will fall out of the first round. That's great news for Chiefs fans.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:22 AM 04-20-2020
I think his ceiling is Tamba Hali.

That's not bad.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up