ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 10
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:49 AM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Will do.

I actually chose to replace about $150 dollars in parts myself on my 17 year old GE fridge because literally everyone I know that's purchased an LG, Samsung or Kenmore has had problems, from the icemaker to the door unit not working properly and so on.

For those of you that aren't aware, appliancepartspros.com not only carries freakin' every single part available for every company that's still manufacturing replacement parts, they have videos on their website which show exactly how to replace each part. If you understand even the basics of how to use a screwdriver or socket set and so on, these parts are easily replaceable.

I've saved thousands in labor costs just in the past 10 months alone and cannot believe how simple it is to do so.
I'm in a class action on these !@#$ing LG linear compressor model refrigerators.

They're AMAZING....when they're running. I loved my LG except for the fact that every 6 months they'd seize up and since everything is part of a closed system with a known seal failure/line clogging issue, nobody will work on them. So you have to find a factory authorized dealer and they're all WAY booked out because, again, these damn things are shit. It took me 8 weeks to get it repaired once, 6 weeks the other time.

And even under warranty (which only covers parts) you're out about $900 on labor.

So after fixing the damn thing twice in 5 years, I scrapped it and replaced it with a GE. I don't like the GE quite as much, but the door in the ice maker doesn't develop the ice block that takes up the entire bin like the LG did, so that's nice. And the entire back of the fridge is a massive LED backlight so that's awesome. But doesn't feel as substantial and the ice maker is sloooooooow to dispense so as often as not I just open the door and pull the bin out. I also don't think its temperature control is quite as precise.

But it won't have me scrambling to fit a bunch of stuff into my beer fridge/deep freeze every year, so that's nice.

If anyone is looking at a fridge, remember that LG and Kenmore use the same guts and I believe they all utilize their linear compressor setup. DO NOT buy a refrigerator that utilizes that system. It WILL fail and if you're lucky you'll get 5 years before it does. They know it will. The seals are made of a material that breaks down when exposed to the refrigerant and the pieces that decay off will slowly build up in the lines before clogging them up altogether.

This is a thing they know it WILL do, they've known this for over a decade and they've done nothing to address it. Ask any salesman you're working with if what you're looking at uses a linear compressor system and if it does, walk away. And if they don't know, find a different salesman because he's probably just lying - they know about these things.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:13 AM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So after fixing the damn thing twice in 5 years, I scrapped it and replaced it with a GE. I don't like the GE quite as much, but the door in the ice maker doesn't develop the ice block that takes up the entire bin like the LG did, so that's nice. And the entire back of the fridge is a massive LED backlight so that's awesome. But doesn't feel as substantial and the ice maker is sloooooooow to dispense so as often as not I just open the door and pull the bin out. I also don't think its temperature control is quite as precise.
Living in SoCal, where it's often 70+ degrees everyday (and for the past week, 95-110 degrees), a fully operational icemaker is absolutely essential for me. I drink iced tea in the morning and ice water the rest of the day and night, so ice is a must.

I had GE replace the icemaker back in 2010, which cost me $250 with labor. About 5 years later, the icemaker stopped working, so I had it replaced, again, along with a few solenoids. But, the last repairman showed me how to replace the icemaker myself (literally two nuts and a plug), so the last time the icemaker went out, I purchased and replaced it myself for $49.99.

We were in KC over Christmas and my brother had purchased a new Kenmore fridge within the past couple of months. Not only was the fridge not staying cold, the icemaker bucket was so tiny that it could only fill a few cups worth of ice at a time and one night, it stopped working altogether.

It's actually unbelievable that in 2019/2020, ice maker technology is still garbage.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:40 AM 10-02-2020
Living in SoCal, where it's often 70+ degrees everyday (and for the past week, 95-110 degrees), a fully operational icemaker is absolutely essential for me. I drink iced tea in the morning and ice water the rest of the day and night, so ice is a must.

I had GE replace the icemaker back in 2010, which cost me $250 with labor. About 5 years later, the icemaker stopped working, so I had it replaced, again, along with a few solenoids. But, the last repairman showed me how to replace the icemaker myself (literally two nuts and a plug), so the last time the icemaker went out, I purchased and replaced it myself for $49.99.

We were in KC over Christmas and my brother had purchased a new Kenmore fridge within the past couple of months. Not only was the fridge not staying cold, the icemaker bucket was so tiny that it could only fill a few cups worth of ice at a time and one night, it stopped working altogether.

It's actually unbelievable that in 2019/2020, ice maker technology is still garbage.
The last fridge we had before the GE was a Kenmore. Last 9 months.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:16 PM 10-02-2020
I'd have never guessed that the speed of an ice dispenser would annoy me as much as it does, but man does it ever. Waiting 10 seconds for the thing to churn 5 ice cubes into my 32 oz Yeti just pisses me off. Especially when I know I'm gonna have to wait for the stupid sun tea jug to slowly trickle my tea in there as well.

Dammit, if I gotta take 60 seconds to make my tea, I'm just going to the office and getting a cup of coffee...

Because Louis CK had the right of it, we are a spoiled and awful set of human beings.

[Reply]
Groves 06:21 PM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'd have never guessed that the speed of an ice dispenser would annoy me as much as it does, but man does it ever. Waiting 10 seconds for the thing to churn 5 ice cubes into my 32 oz Yeti just pisses me off.

[Reply]
SuperChief 08:06 PM 10-02-2020
That's the exact model I purchased and received last week. Costco has a ton of TCL TV's sitting at the port of Los Angeles and don't know when they're going to be released, so I purchased from Walmart.com because they offered next day delivery for free. Their price is $369.99.

The picture is phenomenal. Even my kids noticed the difference between the 2019 4K 75" TCL Roku TV in our family room, especially with 4K content such as Disney+, Movies Anywhere, Netflix, etc. The biggest surprise is that TCL has greatly improved the audio, so much so that in a smaller space, you may not even need a soundbar.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-50-Cl...S525/728982413
Welp, I pulled the trigger. Between your ringing endorsement and the quality ratings from the interwebz, I'm hoping I chose wisely. It'll be here Sunday. Thank you very much for your perspective, man.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:25 PM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Welp, I pulled the trigger. Between your ringing endorsement and the quality ratings from the interwebz, I'm hoping I chose wisely. It'll be here Sunday. Thank you very much for your perspective, man.
You're more than welcome, I just hope you're very happy with the TV and are as happy with it as I am with mine.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
[Reply]
EPodolak 10:01 PM 10-02-2020
I should have clarified - I did try the Stick, and it was garbage. But I still have my Gen 1 Fire TV and it works very well. And the Cube is great now, too. I'm glad you've had luck with Roku, but any Roku I've ever used is terrible. Slow, crazy lag, ugly UI. No thanks for me!

I'm looking at this tv now. Seems to fit what I'm looking for. Thoughts?
https://www.nfm.com/samsung-43-class...hd-4k-smart-tv
I've got that TV in our bedroom. I'm a Samsung guy when it comes to televisions, I like that one pretty well. A little less clear and sharp than the other Samsung we have, which is what stands out about Sammies over the years, but still pretty good.

Edit: Heh, I see you made a different buy. I've heard good things about TCL also, hope you like it.
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:21 PM 10-04-2020
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Edit: Heh, I see you made a different buy. I've heard good things about TCL also, hope you like it.
Set it up this morning. I'm impressed thus far with the picture and audio quality. The input lag from the Roku is unacceptable in my book, so I've hooked up my Fire TV Cube and have a Sideclick (really cool companion remote for streaming box remotes that is programmed to TVs buttons). Works great now!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:39 PM 10-04-2020
Set it up this morning. I'm impressed thus far with the picture and audio quality. The input lag from the Roku is unacceptable in my book, so I've hooked up my Fire TV Cube and have a Sideclick (really cool companion remote for streaming box remotes that is programmed to TVs buttons). Works great now!
There's a lag with the built-in Roku? That's weird. Mine is so fast that I can't even see it start up. I hit the power button and I'm at the home screen in 1 second.

You've probably done this already but be sure to update the software. There might be something in Settings that is set incorrectly as well but I'm glad you're enjoying the picture and sound!
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:48 PM 10-04-2020
There's a lag with the built-in Roku? That's weird. Mine is so fast that I can't even see it start up. I hit the power button and I'm at the home screen in 1 second.

You've probably done this already but be sure to update the software. There might be something in Settings that is set incorrectly as well but I'm glad you're enjoying the picture and sound!
Yeah, I have two Roku TV's and one Roku Express. There's no lag at all.
[Reply]
Coach 09:51 PM 10-04-2020
A little late here, but 55" OLED LG.

This thing is pretty slick.
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:40 AM 10-05-2020

It's an input lag between the remote and the interface. It doesn't affect bootup (it's fast as hell, just as you said), but scrolling through apps like YouTube TV, there's a noticeable lag between button press and action on the screen. Perhaps I'm spoiled from the Fire TV systems (not the Stick - garbage), but once I connected my Cube it's lightning fast with no noticeable lag.

I re-downloaded God of War on my PS4 and started another campaign, and the differences in the picture quality from what I'm used to were STAGGERING. The HDR stuff is magical - I had no idea it would be that much of a difference between my older 1080p setup. Wow!
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:59 AM 10-05-2020
It's an input lag between the remote and the interface. It doesn't affect bootup (it's fast as hell, just as you said), but scrolling through apps like YouTube TV, there's a noticeable lag between button press and action on the screen. Perhaps I'm spoiled from the Fire TV systems (not the Stick - garbage), but once I connected my Cube it's lightning fast with no noticeable lag.

I re-downloaded God of War on my PS4 and started another campaign, and the differences in the picture quality from what I'm used to were STAGGERING. The HDR stuff is magical - I had no idea it would be that much of a difference between my older 1080p setup. Wow!
Interesting.

My experience is the exact opposite. The Roku remote has almost no lag.

The main reason we got my mother in law a TCL Roku TV was because she had a Fire Stick HD and the remote lag was so bad, it would sometimes take 15-20 seconds for a button press to register (also she watches a lot of Netflix and the Fire Stick had big problems with the Netflix app).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:27 AM 10-05-2020
Have you tried using the Roku app on your phone or smart device? Something isn't adding up. I just checked 4 of our Roku TV's, including the same model you purchased, and the remote and TV respond quickly and in real time. I don't notice any latency at all.

I'm kind of wondering if there's some sort of electrical interference on the frequency the Roku remote is using, which could come from anywhere, especially if you're in multi-family housing. There's definitely something going on because this isn't the first time you've had this specific issues.

That said, I spoke to a TV Tech while in line last summer at Costco and he told me that I'd extend the life of my TV and electronics by using a standalone Roku as opposed to the internal Roku, so you may come out ahead in the long run.

I am so glad that the picture met or exceeded your expectations!

:-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 10
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up