ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 17
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
Spott 07:01 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by backinblack:
I saw RHCP on their Stadium Arcadium tour and thought they were great, guess they got better with time.
I saw them in the early 90’s and I just remember Kiedis acting like a jackass on stage. He just kept bagging on KC, calling us a hicktown and then going all :-) during one of the breaks. I’ve had friends see them at other concerts and they were good, but I apparently picked the show where he decided to get drunk and make a fool of himself.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:45 PM 08-04-2020
I saw the Black Keys at Kanrocksas in 2011 at Kansas Speedway and I thought they were terrible. I will grant that it was like 105-110 degrees most of the day, Black Keys played next to last and I was hot, sweaty and exhausted at that point.

They played in between A Perfect Circle and Muse so that didn't help them either because those bands were incredible.
[Reply]
Monkey God 11:31 PM 08-04-2020
Not sure "regret" is the word but worst/most disappointing show was The Cars Heartbeat City in '84. Absolutely no interaction with the crowd, and it felt like they just put on a greatest hits CD and pushed play.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 11:42 PM 08-04-2020
I got dragged to Rockfest in 2000 at sandstone. Just a total white trash shitfest but I had nothing better to do that day. Papa Roach, 3 doors down, GodSmack, Blue October, Jessie James Dupree. STP headlined and I’m not a huge fan but they were at least decent. Somebody threw a beer at Scott Weilands head and he challenged the guy to a fight, which was kind of cool.
[Reply]
eDave 12:17 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
I saw the Black Keys at Kanrocksas in 2011 at Kansas Speedway and I thought they were terrible. I will grant that it was like 105-110 degrees most of the day, Black Keys played next to last and I was hot, sweaty and exhausted at that point.

They played in between A Perfect Circle and Muse so that didn't help them either because those bands were incredible.
Vans Warped Tour, Phoenix. I don't remember the year but it was right in the middle of summer, on a large asphalt parking lot. Just downright miserable. All water sold out. All cool things sold out. No shade. No space. Med tent was woefully unprepared.

All American Rejects were coked out of their gourds. We were taking pics for Phoenix New Times so were real close to the acts. I gave Tyson a Mexican Hello on his way to the stage and he returned it. Kinda cool. Those guys were whacked. Sounded awesome but I've never seen someone sweat like that. Guitar player slipped out of a few chords at first due to all the perspiration (and coke).

Hottest day of my life. Did catch an awesome all female band that I viewed as a hidden gem of the festival. Turns out is was Halsey.

Oh and Black Keys a few years ago was just uneventful. Easy music for the posers. They did try though.
[Reply]
eDave 12:22 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by Monkey God:
Not sure "regret" is the word but worst/most disappointing show was The Cars Heartbeat City in '84. Absolutely no interaction with the crowd, and it felt like they just put on a greatest hits CD and pushed play.
I always heard Rush was like that back in the day. I've never seen them and not sure if I regret that but I've had ample opportunity to see them and just didn't. And I friggin' LOVE Rush. 2112 was my introduction and made me a progressive fan for sure. Alex Lifeson is a key influence of mine as well.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 12:27 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Vans Warped Tour, Phoenix. I don't remember the year but it was right in the middle of summer, on a large asphalt parking lot. Just downright miserable. All water sold out. All cool things sold out. No shade. No space. Med tent was woefully unprepared.

All American Rejects were coked out of their gourds. We were taking pics for Phoenix New Times so were real close to the acts. I gave Tyson a Mexican Hello on his way to the stage and he returned it. Kinda cool. Those guys were whacked. Sounded awesome but I've never seen someone sweat like that. Guitar player slipped out of a few chords at first due to all the perspiration (and coke).

Hottest day of my life. Did catch an awesome all female band that I viewed as a hidden gem of the festival. Turns out is was Halsey.
Dude I used to go to the warped tour in Dallas and it was always hot as balls I can’t even imagine having to deal with it in Phoenix. There were always a handful of bands that were decent but you always waited all day to see a band like Bad Religion.
[Reply]
eDave 12:35 AM 08-05-2020
Bob Dylan opened Desert Trip and I was unemotional about seeing him as he's just not my bag. I spun it as "at least I can say saw Dylan".

This guy was up there with no lighting (just black and white), no live stream onto the massive screens and I don't think he left the piano. He apparently wouldn't let them film him so the put an old concert up there (black and white).

BUT i maintain that he was the perfect opening act as 90K fans filed in, found their space and got know their neighbors for the weekend. Then the Stones took the stage and all hell broke loose. I will never see the Stones again as I want that show to be my memory. I can't describe how great they were and what 90K (older) fans just letting loose. One of the best moments of my life and the best set of the festival, followed closely by Neil Young and Roger Waters.
[Reply]
Bump 08-05-2020, 12:53 AM
This message has been deleted by Bump.
Mephistopheles Janx 08:50 AM 08-05-2020
The Spinoff is now more popular than the original!
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:23 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I probably shouldn't share this story but what the hell.

So, by 1997, Axl spent around $10 million dollars recording Chinese Democracy but wouldn't allow anyone outside of his home studio hear what he'd been recording. I mean, no one, not even the record company.

Finally, Geffen threatened to cut off any more funding of the album until they heard something - anything - about what he was doing with all of the money. The head of Geffen decided to send one of their most successful A&R men up to his house in Malibu, to which Axl agreed (which he had to do or risk getting the funding cut off).

This guy signed several bands that went on to sell tens of millions of copies - household names to basically anyone that turned on MTV or the radio in the mid-80's to the late 90's. This dude knows music. So, Axl plays him everything he's got to that point and asked what this A&R man thought: "Well, there are a few songs in there but the entire project needs a lot of work, beginning with the songs". Axl was nice and polite and the A&R guy left with some serious information for the Prexy of Geffen.

The A&R guy goes to work the next morning and went to speak with the president "How did you think your meeting went?". The A&R guy went on to tell him about the tracks, which had potential, etc. and so on. "What did Axl say?" he asked. The response: "Oh, he didn't say much. But he did say that he wouldn't write another song if you weren't fired from the A&R department".

The A&R guy wasn't fired from Geffen but he was never allowed to speak with Axl again.

On a side note: There were so many guys in and out of the studio and with Geffen footing the bill, A Perfect Circle was formed and recorded, on Geffen's dime. After the record was done, their manager took it to Virgin Records, who gave them a $3 million dollar signing bonus and a huge record deal, despite the fact that Geffen actually paid for the album, which would have cost at least $1 million to record elsewhere.
Sounds about right RE: Axl.

Wow on the APC thing...
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:24 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:

Muse is one of the best live shows I've ever seen and I'm a metal head.
[Reply]
morphius 12:22 PM 08-05-2020
I remember hearing Slaughter open for Ozzy on the no more tours tour, haha. Nothing sounded right, musicians were not sync'd at all, and the singing was AWFUL with unintelligible words. Just figured they were completely a studio band.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:33 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by morphius:
I remember hearing Slaughter open for Ozzy on the no more tours tour, haha. Nothing sounded right, musicians were not sync'd at all, and the singing was AWFUL with unintelligible words. Just figured they were completely a studio band.
It's Slaughter. Of course they were a studio band. LOL
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 12:34 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Funny, to me One Hot Minute is probably their best album, and that one was with Dave.
Yeah i agree it is a great album,very underrated imo.Maybe i did see them on their best tour with Dave haha.But i always liked him in Janes Addiction as well.I suppose BSSM is a bit overrated esp. with Give It Away being played to death.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:36 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Yeah i agree it is a great album,very underrated imo.Maybe i did see them on their best tour with Dave haha.But i always liked him in Janes Addiction as well.I suppose BSSM is a bit overrated esp. with Give It Away being played to death.
Janes Addiction was one of my literal addiction in high school. Love that band.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 17
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up