ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>Clint Eastwood's "Richard Jewell"
Megatron96 05:49 PM 12-09-2019
So I've seen the trailers for this a couple times now, and I have to admit, I'm curious. Clint almost always makes a good movie and the subject matter is interesting. Well, it is to me anyway. I still vividly remember the Richard Jewell story, how shocking the bombing was, how quick the media was to identify and then judge Mr. Jewell in print and on the air, etc. And then when they found he was actually innocent, how quickly and furtively the media just swept his story under the table.

Anyway, wondered if anyone else is interested in the story?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:18 PM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Wife and I just got back from seeing this. One of the best films I have seen in a while. And I think I could see where Deep Purple could think that was bad acting but I would disagree and say that is just how I think they wanted to portray Richard Jewel. He was just a really weird guy which is what made him an easy target for the investigators. If he was the way they showed him in the movie he was definitely a quirky guy... good guy... but quirky.
Just watched it. I liked it a lot. Was Jewell mentally challenged or just dim witted? That seemed to be the way he was portrayed. The movie also hit on something about how overweight people get made fun of and maybe get more scrutinized than others.

Jewell definitely was an interesting character if the movies portrayal was accurate?

Definitely not the Media’s or the FBIs finest moment.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:42 PM 08-30-2020
Watched this last night. Its laughably bad. Like there's nothing cinematic about it at all.

At least Kathy Bates role in The Waterboy was intentional comedy.

I stuck it out as the wife said it was up for some awards but we were both taken aback by how bad it is. This watched like more of a Discovery Channel reenactment than an Eastwood film.
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:56 PM 08-30-2020
I've repeatedly passed by this at the video store, everything I've heard or read about it basically calls it Clints worst effort

Not too mention its just too old of a story to capture anyones attention
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:09 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
It hasn’t even opened here yet. It will make $100+ million.

No money? :-)
:-)

The film earned $43 million against a $45 million dollar budget, which is not a "winner", nor did it break the $100 million dollar threshold.
[Reply]
Pablo 04:04 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Wife and I just got back from seeing this. One of the best films I have seen in a while. And I think I could see where Deep Purple could think that was bad acting but I would disagree and say that is just how I think they wanted to portray Richard Jewel. He was just a really weird guy which is what made him an easy target for the investigators. If he was the way they showed him in the movie he was definitely a quirky guy... good guy... but quirky.
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Watched this last night. Its laughably bad. Like there's nothing cinematic about it at all.

I stuck it out as the wife said it was up for some awards but we were both taken aback by how bad it is. This watched like more of a Discovery Channel reenactment than an Eastwood film.
I just don't know who to believe on this one...man I really want to watch and enjoy Paul Blart:Atlanta.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:09 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I just don't know who to believe on this one...man I really want to watch and enjoy Paul Blart:Atlanta.

Wife kept calling him Paul Blart throughout. This was like Simple Jack meets The Waterboy with Million Dollar Baby aspirations.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:12 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
It's brought in NO MONEY. That's how movies are judged if you haven't heard. :-)
That's one way to judge a film, but not the only way. There have been many films that didn't bring in much money that were later hailed as great achievements. Or have become cult classics, or whatever.

Probably many of the films I have liked over my lifetime weren't box office smashes. Doesn't make any difference tome if they were or weren't.
[Reply]
Fish 04:19 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Yeah, I had the same opinion. I found it really annoying just how stupid the Richard Jewell character was. Like he just kept making dumber and dumber decisions, and I couldn't bring myself to care about him at all. I've liked other Eastwood films, but this was a turd.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:34 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
I found it really annoying just how stupid the Richard Jewell character was. Like he just kept making dumber and dumber decisions,
I guess the common perception of Jewell was that he was dim witted. Not sure if he was considered 'special needs' but thats sort of how the actor portrayed him. Might have been slightly exaggerated. The movie hit on it a little bit that people tend to laugh at overweight, dim witted people more than trust them.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:44 PM 08-30-2020
Most of this info would've been more convenient for me back in January . . . but interesting reading anyway.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:00 PM 08-30-2020
I do agree the Kathy Scruggs portrayal was character assasination. Plus, she’s not alive to defend herself. They should have went to a composite character like they did with Hamms FBI guy.
[Reply]
Cheater5 08:09 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I've repeatedly passed by this at the video store, everything I've heard or read about it basically calls it Clints worst effort

Not too mention its just too old of a story to capture anyones attention

Am I living in the Berenstein Bears universe? Video store?

What is this video store you speak of?
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:01 AM 08-31-2020
You know he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer when he was a campus cop at some small Georgia school and he got fired. Most guys would just have looked at the ladies and told a few kids, keep moving there's nothing to see here when there was an accident.

In his case, he gave out tickets and made arrests and pretty much made himself a nuisance among a bunch of rich kids with powerful parents and lost a cream puff job. So where did he end up, a private security guard during the Atlanta Olympics and getting accused of a bombing he didn't do, and really saved many lives.

I gave the movie a really good review back in December. Basically it wasn't Clint's best work, it was sort of wooden acting all around, but in this day and age of bad movies, I rather see one that told a real story than make believe. Those who don't like this film probably grew up watching only the slick fast paced action packed films that are everywhere. If you enjoyed films from the 60's, 70's and 80's, then you would enjoy this film.

[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:14 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Am I living in the Berenstein Bears universe? Video store?

What is this video store you speak of?
Family Video is the new Blockbuster.

https://www.familyvideo.com/
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:53 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Family Video is the new Blockbuster.

https://www.familyvideo.com/

We have them all over and they are constantly empty. Can't believe they're still in business.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up