ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Media Center>Clint Eastwood's "Richard Jewell"
Megatron96 05:49 PM 12-09-2019
So I've seen the trailers for this a couple times now, and I have to admit, I'm curious. Clint almost always makes a good movie and the subject matter is interesting. Well, it is to me anyway. I still vividly remember the Richard Jewell story, how shocking the bombing was, how quick the media was to identify and then judge Mr. Jewell in print and on the air, etc. And then when they found he was actually innocent, how quickly and furtively the media just swept his story under the table.

Anyway, wondered if anyone else is interested in the story?
[Reply]
scho63 05:04 PM 12-16-2019
This is a flop.

I think too many people don't even know the story.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:08 PM 12-16-2019
His worst flop in something like 40 years apparently

It might have something to do with how long ago it happened, but I’m sure mighty Clint will rebound nicely
[Reply]
DeepPurple 05:22 PM 12-16-2019
I'm going tomorrow on $5 Tuesday here in The Villages. I went last Tuesday and saw Knives Out and the line was out the door. I think tomorrow it will be the same, old people like this kind of story involving history.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:08 PM 12-16-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
His worst flop in something like 40 years apparently

It might have something to do with how long ago it happened, but I’m sure mighty Clint will rebound nicely
Yea, one, hes not starring in it, nor does it have any big stars in it at all.

And yes, Not many people remember Jewell and his story.

Its tough these days to get people to see an adult drama without proven stars and isnt a big special effects blockbuster.

People just have a "wait for netflix" attitude.

Looks like a good movie though.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:25 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
This is a flop.

I think too many people don't even know the story.

How so?
[Reply]
scho63 10:29 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I'm going tomorrow on $5 Tuesday here in The Villages. I went last Tuesday and saw Knives Out and the line was out the door. I think tomorrow it will be the same, old people like this kind of story involving history.
Can you get some ol granny widow to give you a handy as you watch?

All I hear is that The Villages is the senior citizen swingers paradise minus all the herpes and STDs contracted in the hot tubs. :-)
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 10:40 AM 12-17-2019
Clint can do better.
[Reply]
scho63 10:53 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
How so?
It's brought in NO MONEY. That's how movies are judged if you haven't heard. :-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:35 PM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
It's brought in NO MONEY. That's how movies are judged if you haven't heard. :-)

It hasn’t even opened here yet. It will make $100+ million.

No money? :-)
[Reply]
DeepPurple 05:20 PM 12-17-2019
Richard Jewell opened here in Florida last Friday and I just got back. It's the first movie I've been to since American Sniper where the audience applauded at the end. It started out slow for 30 minutes. It's obvious the actor playing Richard Jewell was hired because of his looks and not his talent, his acting is a bit stiff. Reminded me of the other Clint movie 15:17 to Paris where he used the real people. After about an hour you forget that guy can't act because Jon Hamm, Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates make up for his shortcomings. Olivia Wilde plays the newspaper reporter that broke the story and the film leads you to believe she slept with Hamm to get the info. She's a real slut in this movie. I gave the movie an 8 out of 10 and Knives Out a 7 for comparison. When I came out in the lobby there was two lines, one for Knives Out, which I saw last Tuesday, and the other for Richard Jewell and I just started thinking, the Richard Jewell movie was so much better. My wife even said that, she really enjoyed this movie.

Olivia Wilde as the reporter

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:35 PM 12-17-2019
Richard Jewell was a juggalo? Who knew!
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:55 PM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Richard Jewell opened here in Florida last Friday and I just got back. It's the first movie I've been to since American Sniper where the audience applauded at the end. It started out slow for 30 minutes. It's obvious the actor playing Richard Jewell was hired because of his looks and not his talent, his acting is a bit stiff. Reminded me of the other Clint movie 15:17 to Paris where he used the real people. After about an hour you forget that guy can't act because Jon Hamm, Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates make up for his shortcomings. Olivia Wilde plays the newspaper reporter that broke the story and the film leads you to believe she slept with Hamm to get the info. She's a real slut in this movie. I gave the movie an 8 out of 10 and Knives Out a 7 for comparison. When I came out in the lobby there was two lines, one for Knives Out, which I saw last Tuesday, and the other for Richard Jewell and I just started thinking, the Richard Jewell movie was so much better. My wife even said that, she really enjoyed this movie.

Olivia Wilde as the reporter

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Or read or whatever.

Really wanted to see a movie that had a real well-written story. Don't get me wrong, I like action movies (just saw Rambo: Last Blood and liked it), but sometimes you just want to see something that was well-crafted, not just a bunch of special effects and fight scenes.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:04 AM 12-18-2019
I watched this movie last night and was very impressed. It is the kind of movie that gets under your skin because of the blatant corruption of the media and FBI. Some things never change. The Acting, Directing and writing were first class. Eastwood further cements himself as one of the great American directors of all time. Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates put on Oscar-winning performances.

This was a complete failure and cover-up by the FBI. Not only did they fail to clear the area properly, but they also skewed the entire case toward a scapegoat while the Real bomber (Eric Rudolph) regrouped.

The media are portrayed accurately as the unscrupulous vultures that they are.

I was curious why there is so much negative publicity on this, now we know. Kudos to Eastwood for finally getting the full truth out there.
[Reply]
BigRichard 04:39 PM 12-21-2019
Wife and I just got back from seeing this. One of the best films I have seen in a while. And I think I could see where Deep Purple could think that was bad acting but I would disagree and say that is just how I think they wanted to portray Richard Jewel. He was just a really weird guy which is what made him an easy target for the investigators. If he was the way they showed him in the movie he was definitely a quirky guy... good guy... but quirky.
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:24 PM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
There are no more journalists. Journalism is dead. Completely murdered, first by the cable networks like Fox and CNN, and then the internet backed the bus up and rolled over the corpse again.

We live in a world now that's devoid of news. Devoid of fact. There is only opinion. Everything is presented through a filter and people don't want to hear, see, or watch anything outside of their chosen little box. It's not a right thing or a left thing. Confirmation bias is universal and virulent.

The world where journalists would actually research stories and present information for people to digest and form their own opinions? Yeah, that's pretty much gone now. Now you just believe whatever you want because of 'reasons' and disregard everything else.

“In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.”
― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up