ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 153
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Hammock Parties 08:33 PM 10-04-2018
Jon Favreau is directing this live-action TV series.

Looks TIGHT.

Originally Posted by :
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun!

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode.

Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:58 PM 07-25-2020
Prequel characters and story were better.

Execution - directing/acting/writing - just sucked complete balls.

They are the inverse of the ST.

20 years later, I like them better. And The Clone Wars shits all over the ST.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:59 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The prequels were bad because over the course of two decades Lucas forgot how to make good movies and his bloated ego and unlimited power prevented anyone from reigning in his suck. They weren't bad because he hated Star Wars, Star Wars fans, Star Wars characters, or simply used Star Wars to shove a feminist agenda down our throats.
Feminist agenda or not, I still think the 3rd act of Rogue One is the best "Star Wars" ever put on film.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:14 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Feminist agenda or not, I still think the 3rd act of Rogue One is the best "Star Wars" ever put on film.
WTF are you talking about? Rogue One has no feminist agenda; no more so than Aliens or Terminator did. Like those movies, it has a strong, compelling lead who just happens to be a woman. And like those movies, it is awesome.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:44 PM 07-25-2020
WTF are you talking about? Rogue One has no feminist agenda; no more so than Aliens or Terminator did. Like those movies, it has a strong, compelling lead who just happens to be a woman. And like those movies, it is awesome.
I have no idea what a “feminist agenda” is these days. Vailpass was going on about something in boys. Seems to me that a “feminist agenda” can be anything with a female in it these days. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:44 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I have no idea what a “feminist agenda” is these days. Vailpass was going on about something in boys. Seems to me that a “feminist agenda” can be anything with a female in it these days. :-)
No offense to anyone in this thread but I wholeheartedly agree.

People have said these things about the latest Star Wars trilogy and I guess I'm too dumb to recognize it because all I saw was blown potential. I didn't see any agenda or any of the SJW stuff that other people have described seeing.

Same goes for the Marvel films. With Captain Marvel, all I saw was a movie that fell far short of my expectations. It was an average script at best, a poor choice for the lead role and a superhero that had so much power that she was boring (yet couldn't kill Thanos so like, what's the point of her character?). But I saw posts on CP claiming that it was an "SJW" movie. I've watched a few times since seeing it in theaters and still don't get it.

I put Captain Marvel below the Joss Whedon directed Avengers films, for no other reason than the movie was basically unnecessary and almost worthless, which is pretty much how I see the original Avengers and Ultron - two failed concepts by the same director (I didn't like Justice League, either) and movies that just don't work for me.

:-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:04 PM 07-25-2020
Yeah, I don't think anybody old, white or male needs to feel quite so threatened by women appearing on film, or behind camera, or in board rooms. It's not like they're going to stop making movies with male leads. The idea is not to lose our box office contribution. They're trying to get more people into theaters with us, not despite us.

Which does introduce the problem of trying to be too much of everything for everyone. Which is what, in my opinion, was the biggest problem with many of these movies. You try to jam so much in to cater to so many demographics and it just becomes an overstuffed jumble of nonsense. Which is how I saw Rise of Skywalker.

Hopefully eventually everyone will relax, people will stop caring about whether the writer or the director or the producer or the studio exec has a vagina or not, and we'll all be able to start creating, watching and critiquing movies based on quality more than statistics.

But it will take some time, because women being more than pretty things to look at is still a relatively new concept to a lot of people, no less so in Hollywood than anywhere else.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:14 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Hopefully eventually everyone will relax, people will stop caring about whether the writer or the director or the producer or the studio exec has a vagina or not, and we'll all be able to start creating, watching and critiquing movies based on quality more than statistics.
For example, The Mandalorian.

Favreau hired two female directors in Deborah Chow and (first time director) Bryce Dallas Howard. Chow directed two episodes and Howard one episode while the other five episodes were directed by Dave Filoni, Rick Fumuyiwa and the great Taika Waititi.

While the finale was my favorite episode, Chow's 7th episode is a close second and all of the episodes were masterfully directed, IMO. And while Favreau and KK hired more male directors for Season 2 (I'm stoked to see Peyton Reed's work), they hired very capable directors who had a vision for the series and each episode.

It's very, very competitive and difficult to become a true Hollywood director and while Howard had some help, Chow did not. But as time moves on, we'll see more and more female directors fail and succeed because there's finally a climate in which they're allowed to fail and succeed.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:01 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Yeah, I don't think anybody old, white or male needs to feel quite so threatened by women appearing on film, or behind camera, or in board rooms. It's not like they're going to stop making movies with male leads. The idea is not to lose our box office contribution. They're trying to get more people into theaters with us, not despite us.

Which does introduce the problem of trying to be too much of everything for everyone. Which is what, in my opinion, was the biggest problem with many of these movies. You try to jam so much in to cater to so many demographics and it just becomes an overstuffed jumble of nonsense. Which is how I saw Rise of Skywalker.

But it will take some time, because women being more than pretty things to look at is still a relatively new concept to a lot of people, no less so in Hollywood than anywhere else.
Kathleen Kennedy doesn't "threaten" me. She pisses me off because she deliberately ruined Star Wars. I have no interest in her vagina. Really. I just don't want it gushing feminist propaganda at me for two solid hours when I'm paying to be entertained. That doesn't make me a neanderthal; it makes me a dissatisfied customer.

As I said before, I think Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie. Aliens and the first two Terminator movies rank at/near the very top of my personal favorite sci-fi movies. All of them have female leads, and between Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton and Felicity Jones, I only consider Jones to be truly pretty, and that has nothing to do with why I liked Rogue One so much. Not sure why liking them gets me no credit, but disliking the female characters in the horrible Last Jedi makes me some sort of knuckle dragging goon.

Last Jedi was a bad movie. The quality was shit. I notice you didn't dispute any of the points I made. That's because you really can't.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:15 AM 07-26-2020
Oops, wrong thread, too many tabs open.

MANDALORIAN!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:20 AM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

People have said these things about the latest Star Wars trilogy and I guess I'm too dumb to recognize it because all I saw was blown potential. I didn't see any agenda or any of the SJW stuff that other people have described seeing.

Same goes for the Marvel films. With Captain Marvel, all I saw was a movie that fell far short of my expectations. It was an average script at best, a poor choice for the lead role and a superhero that had so much power that she was boring (yet couldn't kill Thanos so like, what's the point of her character?). But I saw posts on CP claiming that it was an "SJW" movie. I've watched a few times since seeing it in theaters and still don't get it.

I put Captain Marvel below the Joss Whedon directed Avengers films, for no other reason than the movie was basically unnecessary and almost worthless, which is pretty much how I see the original Avengers and Ultron - two failed concepts by the same director (I didn't like Justice League, either) and movies that just don't work for me.

People get all worried about "Girl Power" moments in film like there haven't been moments like that in films forever, same with Dude Power moments.

They may commingle comments by actresses/directors who are SJW types with what happens in the film. To echo Frazod a bit, perhaps they are looking to assign blame in supremely disappointing films, so pile on the SJW bits.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:37 AM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
People get all worried about "Girl Power" moments in film like there haven't been moments like that in films forever, same with Dude Power moments.

They may commingle comments by actresses/directors who are SJW types with what happens in the film. To echo Frazod a bit, perhaps they are looking to assign blame in supremely disappointing films, so pile on the SJW bits.
I hadn't seen any of the newer Marvel movies other than Guardians, and over the Christmas/New Year's holiday when I got Disney Plus for The Mandalorian I binge watched all the Avengers movies as well as Captain Marvel. I actually liked it. Larson comes off as such an arrogant cunt in real life (hell, you can tell her co-stars don't even like her), but I had no problem with the character or the movie. OTOH, Daisy Ridley seems like a really sweet kid when she's being interviewed. I have no problem with her personally or her performance. She was just given horrible material to work with.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 12:05 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

[B]People have said these things about the latest Star Wars trilogy and I guess I'm too dumb to recognize it because all I saw was blown potential. I didn't see any agenda or any of the SJW stuff that other people have described seeing.

Same goes for the Marvel films. With Captain Marvel, all I saw was a movie that fell far short of my expectations. It was an average script at best, a poor choice for the lead role and a superhero that had so much power that she was boring (yet couldn't kill Thanos so like, what's the point of her character?). But I saw posts on CP claiming that it was an "SJW" movie. I've watched a few times since seeing it in theaters and still don't get it.[B]

While not feminist specific, the entire Canto Bight sub-plot was pure SJW pandering/messaging.

The issue with Captain Marvel wasn’t the film itself so much as it was Larson attaching a SJW “vibe” to it off screen. She keeps quiet and you don’t see or hear much of anything about the film in that regard.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:14 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
While not feminist specific, the entire Canto Bight sub-plot was pure SJW pandering/messaging.

The issue with Captain Marvel wasn’t the film itself so much as it was Larson attaching a SJW “vibe” to it off screen. She keeps quiet and you don’t see or hear much of anything about the film in that regard.
It probably would have helped if she'd smiled once or twice, too. Instead of looking bored and pissed off that she had to be there, but was contractually obligated to carefully explain to the little people how important the film's message was.

I'm sure the marketing folks loved her.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:21 PM 07-26-2020
It probably would have helped if she'd smiled once or twice, too. Instead of looking bored and pissed off that she had to be there, but was contractually obligated to carefully explain to the little people how important the film's message was.

I'm sure the marketing folks loved her.
Yeah, if one didn’t know any better they might think she was trying to submarine the film (not even sure that was possible at that point even if desired). She just did not put on a good public front during the making of that movie.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:35 PM 07-26-2020
Just for you guys, lol

[Reply]
Page 41 of 153
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Up