ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 26
« First < 131920212223 242526 >
Media Center>Warrant Vs. Winger Vs. Cinderalla Vs. Poison Vs. Slaughter
Deberg_1990 07:27 PM 05-07-2009
The Ultimate showdown. Who kicks more a$$ ???
[Reply]
Frazod 07:13 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
It comes down to Cinderella vs Poison

And I'll take Tommy Keifer every single time, but some of that early Poison is solid, popcorn fare rock n roll... the early Beatles didnt reinvent the wheel either
Poison is a studio band that can be hit or miss on stage, basically depending on whether C.C. is playing and how sober/drunk/motivated he is, because if he's off, it all goes sideways.

I've seen Keifer a couple of times, with Cinderella probably 15 years ago and solo back in 2018. He is tremendous live.
[Reply]
backinblack 07:14 PM 09-15-2020
Dig a few Poison songs, like "Fallen Angel" and "Talk Dirty to Me", and Warrant's first album is actually pretty good. Don't really care about the others.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:25 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They've evolved a bit. A lot heavier IMO. I've saw them live a couple of years ago and they were freaking great.

Michael Sweet has done a tremendous job with his vocal training and abstaining from things that cause voice issues and it shows. He can still hit almost all the notes.

That was pretty good. Sweets voice still sounds top notch.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:27 PM 09-15-2020
It comes down to Cinderella vs Poison

And I'll take Tommy Keifer every single time, but some of that early Poison is solid, popcorn fare rock n roll... the early Beatles didnt reinvent the wheel either
Oh god. No contest for me between Cinderella and Poison. Cinderella all day. But I know if it came down to the general public voting, Poison would probably win easily.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:29 PM 09-15-2020
I can't do Poison.

Of all the 80's bands, they've got to be the worst.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:33 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Poison is a studio band that can be hit or miss on stage, basically depending on whether C.C. is playing and how sober/drunk/motivated he is, because if he's off, it all goes sideways.

I've seen Keifer a couple of times, with Cinderella probably 15 years ago and solo back in 2018. He is tremendous live.
Got to see Poison open for Ratt twice on the same tour back in the day, my memory is just a great show... maybe not top shelf musicians, but a helluva good time anyway

CC is really the catalyst, without his crazy ass east coast glam thing they're boring

Caught Cinderella in Peoria as the headliners with Bulletboyz and Winger... an easy fuck one, marry one, kill one scenario :-)

Keifer came down from the rafters on a white baby grand piano for the win
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:45 PM 09-15-2020
I can't do Poison.

Of all the 80's bands, they've got to be the worst.
They are what they are. Pop rock. I like several of their songs.

But like a lot of hair metal, a lot of stuff hasn’t aged well. Juvenile lyrics
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:47 PM 09-15-2020
Caught Cinderella in Peoria as the headliners with Bulletboyz and Winger... an easy fuck one, marry one, kill one scenario :-)

Keifer came down from the rafters on a white baby grand piano for the win
:-)

I caught that same tour in Ames.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:13 PM 09-15-2020
So Stryper has morphed into a 2020 version of Armored Saint? Hmm, interesting. Like the heavy sound.

Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Haven't read the thread, but the correct answer to this is Cinderella, and it's not even close, right?
Right. Poison is actually a pretty high energy show, but Cinderella's songs and sound put them on top.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:19 PM 09-15-2020
:-)

I caught that same tour in Ames.
Long Cold Winter tour.

My girlfriend at the time loved that album and wanted to see them live at Kemper, so I got us passes. I wasn’t expecting much because all I had heard from them was a few songs off their first album and while they were fine, it didn’t pique my interest.

Man, I was wrong.

That concert was unforgettable and like Scott said, seeing the white grand piano descend from the light truss was awesome. They were very Blues-based, which I wouldn’t have guessed from their MTV videos and while they certainly weren’t virtuosos by any stretch of the imagination (and Fred Coury was never allowed to play on their albums because he is a shitty drummer that can’t keep time), they were definitely tight.

It’s really a shame that the singer had vocal chord and nasal issues in the early 90’s, as they were set to go into the studio with my former road roomie, Kevin Valentine, on drums with Steven Thompson and Michael Barbieri producing, the guys that produced Tesla’s biggest albums and Ozzy’s No More Tears.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:35 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Long Cold Winter tour.

My girlfriend at the time loved that album and wanted to see them live at Kemper, so I got us passes. I wasn’t expecting much because all I had heard from them was a few songs off their first album and while they were fine, it didn’t pique my interest.

Man, I was wrong.

That concert was unforgettable and like Scott said, seeing the white grand piano descend from the light truss was awesome. They were very Blues-based, which I wouldn’t have guessed from their MTV videos and while they certainly weren’t virtuosos by any stretch of the imagination (and Fred Coury was never allowed to play on their albums because he is a shitty drummer that can’t keep time), they were definitely tight.

It’s really a shame that the singer had vocal chord and nasal issues in the early 90’s, as they were set to go into the studio with my former road roomie, Kevin Valentine, on drums with Steven Thompson and Michael Barbieri producing, the guys that produced Tesla’s biggest albums and Ozzy’s No More Tears.
I'll be honest, it was a date. I wasn't the biggest Cinderella fan and their bluesy sound just didn't resonate with me. I was always into heavier stuff for the most part.

I think we've talked about this particular show before. Winger was really tight and they were obviously really good musicians (especially Reb Beach).

Bullet Boys were kind of a disaster, though. Don't know if it was drugs and alcohol or what but they were off.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:37 PM 09-15-2020
Yeah, we have talked about it before. Here:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332487
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:27 AM 09-16-2020
Ha, enjoyed reading through this thread...I must have missed it at the time.

I guess the answer is Cinderella, but am i the only one who actually likes Winger?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:34 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Ha, enjoyed reading through this thread...I must have missed it at the time.

I guess the answer is Cinderella, but am i the only one who actually likes Winger?
I can't say I "like" Winger but for that one day when I saw them together with Cinderella, they were the better band.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:51 PM 09-16-2020
I can't say I "like" Winger but for that one day when I saw them together with Cinderella, they were the better band.
Thanks for the feedback....I always thought Winger had great riffs.

And...who knew that Kip was nominated for a Grammy (for classical music)? I sure didn't.

Kip Winger's Surreal Classical Journey: From Alice Cooper To The GRAMMYs

(The Recording Academy asked some of this year's first-time GRAMMY nominees to collect their thoughts and share what it feels like to be nominated for a GRAMMY.)

Dec. 6, 2016, 7:55 a.m. I open my email and see in the subject, CONGRATULATIONS, Kip!

I'm like, "Hmm, what's this about?" I had completely forgotten that my record was even entered and didn't think I had a shot in hell to be nominated. So, I open the email and see that I'm nominated for Best Contemporary Classical Composition. Absolutely amazed, I yelled out, "Yesss!"

Dancing around in the living room, I woke my wife, who wasn't too impressed until she came downstairs and saw me dancing and figured out I had just been nominated and joined in. High fives, yelling and a million emails from all my friends.

It was a long road from the rock world to the classical world. In 1985 in Alice Cooper's band, I was always on the bus studying counterpoint and listening to Stravinsky while everyone was partying. I never imagined anyone would play my symphonic music. I studied it purely for the love of it. While constantly on the road performing in Winger and solo around the world, I've continued studying with various composition teachers as time has permitted, most recently with Richard Danielpour, who, at my third lesson said to me, "You're a classical composer disguised as a rock guy."

In 2010 I collaborated with Tony Award-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon on the ballet "Ghosts" with the San Francisco Ballet and he introduced me to conductor Martin West. Martin had the idea to record an album of my music with Leslie Ann Jones at Skywalker Sound and voila! We're all the way to the GRAMMYs. It's totally surreal.

I'm incredibly honored to be in the company of four of the great composers [Mason Bates, Michael Daugherty, Jennifer Higdon, and Christopher Theofanidis] of our time, all of whom I've listened to many, many times. I'm really looking forward to the whole event.

(C. F. Kip Winger is nominated for Best Contemporary Classical Composition for Winger: Conversations With Nijinsky. He is also frontman for the hard-rock band Winger.)

Tune in to the 59th Annual GRAMMY Awards live from Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 12 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on CBS.

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/...cooper-grammys
[Reply]
Page 23 of 26
« First < 131920212223 242526 >
Up