ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 26
« First < 121819202122 23242526 >
Media Center>Warrant Vs. Winger Vs. Cinderalla Vs. Poison Vs. Slaughter
Deberg_1990 07:27 PM 05-07-2009
The Ultimate showdown. Who kicks more a$$ ???
[Reply]
Bowser 08:10 PM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
What day??
February 3rd, 8 pm. I think that's a Tuesday night.

Tesla gets a bad rap for "Love Song". They get lumped in unfairly with the hair bands when they're just an honest to goodness rock 'n roll band that put on fantastic live shows. Their album "Into the Now" is the best album you haven't listened to.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:18 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Crazy info, Dane. Thanks for sharing all of that. Must have been like a cock punch when you saw first hand how the business is really run and realized you weren't going to be the next Sammy Hagar. Luckily for you you have some talent and made it work anyway!
Thanks, Dude! I could write a 100 page dissertation on everything I've read contractually, heard from the source verbally and seen with my own eyes. No two deals are ever the same and the business is far more cutthroat than I could have ever imagined, although not for the reasons I could have imagined.

For quite some time, I thought my time working in the music business was unimportant and trivial, even though I became an executive at Paramount and was offered VP positions at other huge companies (and turned them down to pursue the real reason why I moved from KC to LA). But recently, I've begun to think it as part of my path and I'm very fortunate to have learned so much about the business side (i.e. financial and contractual) of the entire entertainment business.

I've only been able to share a miniscule amount of information about the success and wrong doings of stars, composers and even film screenwriters and producers, of what I actually know because I can't break the trust of those people. But there have hours, not many, but they do happen, when I think I may have been better off working at Sprint and living in Lenexa or Leawood.

Then I stand up, stretch and look around. Even though I'm not even close to where I'd like to be in this business, it's been a great ride and so far, A-Okay.
[Reply]
Dayze 08:26 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by Bowser:
February 3rd, 8 pm. I think that's a Tuesday night.

Tesla gets a bad rap for "Love Song". They get lumped in unfairly with the hair bands when they're just an honest to goodness rock 'n roll band that put on fantastic live shows. Their album "Into the Now" is the best album you haven't listened to.
absolutely.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:07 PM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks, Dude! I could write a 100 page dissertation on everything I've read contractually, heard from the source verbally and seen with my own eyes. No two deals are ever the same and the business is far more cutthroat than I could have ever imagined, although not for the reasons I could have imagined.
I had a mail order business for about 20 years called Buccaneer Records. I've been retired now for about ten years but you remind me of one of my customers I used to talk to all the time. It was David Tedds, back then he worked at Capitol Records, did all the Grand Funk Remasters. Him and me both were big GFR fans and Uriah Heep. Maybe you know him?

He use to tell me all these inside stories. I got to see the original GFR lineup, Mark, Don and Mel in 1998 and then they broke up right after that, he told me why, interesting stuff. Tedd is good friends with Glenn Hughes. He mentioned one of Glenn's best friends was Kevin Dubow of QR, seemed a bit strange to me.

As a side note, the morning news made me think of one of my biggest customers dollars wise. Randy Johnson the pitcher, he spent $200 - $300 a month on heavy metal, all imports. In 1997 he gave me tickets to an Orioles/Mariners playoff game in Baltimore since I was an O's. That's where I use to live and have my business. Randy was a neat guy, he plays the drums. Once I took him a bunch of CD's to his hotel in Baltimore and dropped them off, he used the name 'Buddy Rich' when he wanted to be contacted.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:39 AM 01-10-2015
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I had a mail order business for about 20 years called Buccaneer Records. I've been retired now for about ten years but you remind me of one of my customers I used to talk to all the time. It was David Tedds, back then he worked at Capitol Records, did all the Grand Funk Remasters. Him and me both were big GFR fans and Uriah Heep. Maybe you know him?

He use to tell me all these inside stories. I got to see the original GFR lineup, Mark, Don and Mel in 1998 and then they broke up right after that, he told me why, interesting stuff. Tedd is good friends with Glenn Hughes. He mentioned one of Glenn's best friends was Kevin Dubow of QR, seemed a bit strange to me.

As a side note, the morning news made me think of one of my biggest customers dollars wise. Randy Johnson the pitcher, he spent $200 - $300 a month on heavy metal, all imports. In 1997 he gave me tickets to an Orioles/Mariners playoff game in Baltimore since I was an O's. That's where I use to live and have my business. Randy was a neat guy, he plays the drums. Once I took him a bunch of CD's to his hotel in Baltimore and dropped them off, he used the name 'Buddy Rich' when he wanted to be contacted.
That's awesome. Congrats on the success!

Unfortunately, I haven't crossed paths with David. I knew of the Glenn Hughes/Kevin Dubrow friendship and while it seemed odd at first to me as well, Glenn really tried to sponsor Kevin and keep him clean. Unfortunately, Kevin passed away from a cocaine overdose. I haven't met Glenn but I did meet Kevin in the 90's and he was a nice guy.

Yeah, pretty much everyone that works deeply in the biz will have stories. As I mentioned earlier, I can't share even 1% of the things I've seen and heard, directly from the source. Producer Andy Johns told me 12 hours of crazy stories in my apartment back in 1995 while drinking beer all night - some of the VH stuff was hilarious and sad at the same time, the Rolling Stones stories were epic and even stories about Hendrix!

It sounds like you had some fun, too! :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:07 PM 09-15-2020

For quite some time, I thought my time working in the music business was unimportant and trivial, even though I became an executive at Paramount and was offered VP positions at other huge companies (and turned them down to pursue the real reason why I moved from KC to LA). But recently, I've begun to think it as part of my path and I'm very fortunate to have learned so much about the business side (i.e. financial and contractual) of the entire entertainment business.

I've only been able to share a miniscule amount of information about the success and wrong doings of stars, composers and even film screenwriters and producers, of what I actually know because I can't break the trust of those people. But there have hours, not many, but they do happen, when I think I may have been better off working at Sprint and living in Lenexa or Leawood.

Then I stand up, stretch and look around. Even though I'm not even close to where I'd like to be in this business, it's been a great ride and so far, A-Okay.

Heh, this was a fun thread. Dane, you should write a book someday.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:30 PM 09-15-2020
It's far worse than I've described. The problem is that Ozzy has always been more interested in being high than anything else in the world. She created the empire and ran it as she saw fit. And because he was always so stoned, he never knew what was going on around him.

He can't sing anymore, either.

Spoiler!
They have a new show on Travel Channel (or, as it should be called, the Ghost Channel) called The Osbournes Want to Believe, featuring Ozzy, Sharon and Jack, who is sort of the moderator/host. Basically it's the three of them watching paranormal clips and then commenting on what they saw. I tried to watch one episode and lasted about 10 minutes; the show is atrocious. Ozzy is basically a foul-mouthed vegetable at this point. It's really sad. Between the mumbling and the bleeps, everything he says is unintelligible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:40 PM 09-15-2020
Stryper. They're better now than they were then. Can't say that for hardly any of the other 80's bands.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:51 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Stryper. They're better now than they were then. Can't say that for hardly any of the other 80's bands.
Heh, haven’t listened to anything they have done in 30 years at least.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:53 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
They have a new show on Travel Channel (or, as it should be called, the Ghost Channel) called The Osbournes Want to Believe, featuring Ozzy, Sharon and Jack, who is sort of the moderator/host. Basically it's the three of them watching paranormal clips and then commenting on what they saw. I tried to watch one episode and lasted about 10 minutes; the show is atrocious. Ozzy is basically a foul-mouthed vegetable at this point. It's really sad. Between the mumbling and the bleeps, everything he says is unintelligible.
Yea. I hate that Ozzy has become a parody of himself. It’s pretty sad. But I’m
Sure he’s getting paid lots.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:59 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Heh, haven’t listened to anything they have done in 30 years at least.
They've evolved a bit. A lot heavier IMO. I've saw them live a couple of years ago and they were freaking great.

Michael Sweet has done a tremendous job with his vocal training and abstaining from things that cause voice issues and it shows. He can still hit almost all the notes.

[Reply]
Easy 6 07:03 PM 09-15-2020
It comes down to Cinderella vs Poison

And I'll take Tommy Keifer every single time, but some of that early Poison is solid, popcorn fare rock n roll... the early Beatles didnt reinvent the wheel either
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:05 PM 09-15-2020
I know the subject matter turns some people off but there's no denying that the music is better now than it was back in the 80's, at least if you're like me and like it louder and heavier.

[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:06 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Warrant Vs. Winger Vs. Cinderalla Vs. Poison Vs. Slaughter

The Ultimate showdown. Who kicks more a$$ ???
Haven't read the thread, but the correct answer to this is Cinderella, and it's not even close, right?
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 07:08 PM 09-15-2020
All of them rock the same....

All of them are on my play list with Stryper being very high on the list.. Micheal Sweets vocals are second to none...
[Reply]
Page 22 of 26
« First < 121819202122 23242526 >
Up