ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2486 of 3903
« First < 1486198623862436247624822483248424852486 248724882489249024962536258629863486 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
eDave 11:51 AM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
I question whether the 88 deaths is not another reporting lag. Why? Here are the reported deaths by date of death straight off the Arizona dashboard.

June 24 18
June 25 16
June 27 17
June 28 9
June 29 4
June 30 3

Grand total for SEVEN days of 78 deaths.
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...ostcount=37227

Possibly some remaining from Monday's blunder.
[Reply]
kgrund 11:51 AM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
I question whether the 88 deaths is not another reporting lag. Why? Here are the reported deaths by date of death straight off the Arizona dashboard.

June 24 18
June 25 16
June 27 17
June 28 9
June 29 4
June 30 3

Grand total for SEVEN days of 78 deaths.
Missed the June 26th, which had 11 deaths.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:52 AM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, given NYC was still a week or two away from shit hitting the fan, and still being in the early stages of figuring out how contagious it was, and dumbasses hoarding toilet paper.... they didn't want the dumbasses to hoard masks, too.

That said, I don't like the bolded comment at all. He's perfectly on point by saying "it's not providing the perfect protection that people think it is", in this black and white world. Like someone posted last night, masks aren't perfect, social distancing isn't perfect, etc... but, there's at least some value in each of those things.

Saying there's no reason and it's not perfect is just as black and white as most people make things out to be, so you're giving people with black & white reasoning some black & white reasons not to do something, instead of a little education on how a mask could help, but perhaps isn't required at the time.
At that time they didn't know that droplet was probably the primary way it spread versus aerosol or surface contact.

But that aside, would mask wearing be an issue if Trump hadn't made it an issue?

If a president Romney was wearing a mask on TV would it have mattered what Fauci said back in March?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:09 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
At that time they didn't know that droplet was probably the primary way it spread versus aerosol or surface contact.
Given common respiratory viruses are perpetuated by droplet spread then why didn't the CDC recommend cloth or otherwise improvised masks for those who absolutely couldn't avoid staying home or being distanced?
[Reply]
Monticore 12:40 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Given common respiratory viruses are perpetuated by droplet spread then why didn't the CDC recommend cloth or otherwise improvised masks for those who absolutely couldn't avoid staying home or being distanced?
This virus is more complicated than previously known respiratory viruses and as seen in this thread masks are a very complicated issue as well. When you Really want to emphasize social distancing tell some people that masks make it safe to go out might be counter productive .
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:23 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
This virus is more complicated than previously known respiratory viruses and as seen in this thread masks are a very complicated issue as well. When you Really want to emphasize social distancing tell some people that masks make it safe to go out might be counter productive .
Why did you bother quoting my post since none of what you wrote offers any sort of counterpoint to what I said originally?

It's quite simple: if there's a benefit to wider public health by wearing an improvised, non-medical grade PPE mask through limiting droplet spread now then there certainly was one four to five months ago because it is known that typical influenza and cold viruses are commonly transmitted through droplet spread. Even if it were not the case that SARSCov2 is inhibited by such improvised measures then there still is the wider benefit of cutting down the spread of non-novel respiratory viruses which in turn cuts down on health care usage.

That's the case in which they were wrong and a cloth mask doesn't do shit against SARSCov2. If they were right, then C-19 proliferates at a much slower rate and potentially negates or curtails the length of major lockdowns across the country.

In either circumstance, the CDC gets an out once further information on SARSCov2 comes to light and can say "Look, we weren't sure improvised masks would work for instances when people could not avoid 'social distancing', but at the time it was the best we could recommend since we needed to preserve PPE for health care providers."

But instead, their best course of action was to lie and say "nah just proceed as normal" in order to prevent runs on medical grade PPE by the general public when there was a potential alternative in recommending physical distancing in concert with improvised masking to those who couldn't otherwise avoid to stay in household isolation.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:45 PM 07-01-2020
And do you think what Fauci said back in March is that much more important than the example that Trump is setting?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:48 PM 07-01-2020
Or alternately, if back in March he had said wearing a home made cloth mask might help reduce the spread a bit, but we really don't know yet...

Would the number people wearing masks today be significantly different ???
[Reply]
petegz28 01:48 PM 07-01-2020
And do you think what Fauci said back in March is that much more important than the example that Trump is setting?
I guess we are okay to talk politics now???
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:53 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
If asking whether Fauci or Trump has a bigger impact on people's mask wearing is too political for this thread, then I will instead ask:

Is Fauci's comment in March really the reason mask wearing has dropped to zero in some places?
[Reply]
sedated 07-01-2020, 02:32 PM
This message has been deleted by sedated.
DaFace 02:54 PM 07-01-2020
If asking whether Fauci or Trump has a bigger impact on people's mask wearing is too political for this thread, then I will instead ask:

Is Fauci's comment in March really the reason mask wearing has dropped to zero in some places?
It probably didn't help. Beyond that, not much to discuss here.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:22 PM 07-01-2020
This is pretty impressive work. I'd encourage everyone to check it out.

Goldman Sachs has done the math and a national mask mandate to halt the spread of coronavirus would have a big impact on the U.S. economy

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...51PQsiUhe98Rqg
[Reply]
Pants 03:27 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
This is pretty impressive work. I'd encourage everyone to check it out.

Goldman Sachs has done the math and a national mask mandate to halt the spread of coronavirus would have a big impact on the U.S. economy

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...51PQsiUhe98Rqg
They are part of the elites trying to turn us into sheep by wearing masks.

If you're already wearing a mask, you're a sheep and it's too late.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 03:28 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
It's pretty obvious at this point anything Anti-Trump is ok.
[Reply]
Pants 03:31 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
It's pretty obvious at this point anything Anti-Trump is ok.
How is it obvious? It is not obvious to me and I hate the Democrats, the Republicans and the Trump fans.

I hate the fact that all objective reasoning is gone in this country because people pick a fucking side and ride or die.
[Reply]
Page 2486 of 3903
« First < 1486198623862436247624822483248424852486 248724882489249024962536258629863486 > Last »
Up