ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3081 of 3903
« First < 2081258129813031307130773078307930803081 30823083308430853091313131813581 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:51 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Awesome.
JFC, it’s the American taxpayer making the vaccine free, not Pfizer. The USA had already bought 100 million doses. Rights to buy 500 million doses. Gave them $1.65 billion as payment.
[Reply]
Donger 01:00 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
JFC, it’s the American taxpayer making the vaccine free, not Pfizer. The USA had already bought 100 million doses. Rights to buy 500 million doses. Gave them $1.65 billion as payment.
Pfizer hasn't gotten any money yet is my understanding.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:02 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
They got US govt money indirectly I think.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:05 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
To be honest, 90%+ effectiveness on the first try for a vaccine that is completed in less than a year might be one of mankind's greatest achievements. (Unless something catastrophic happens and it falls apart)

Science rules.
Unfortunately it's already being politicized by some. Specifically the Gov. of New York. I won't go further but it's a damn shame that such good news instantly has to be titled one way or the other politically.
[Reply]
Donger 01:10 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
They got US govt money indirectly I think.
https://news.yahoo.com/so-is-pfizer-...175429888.html

While other pharmaceutical companies did take federal funds to develop a vaccine, Pfizer declined to do so, the only one of the major prospective developers to go it alone.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:20 PM 11-09-2020
Reads like the government money is for the Pfizer delivered vaccine and not the development.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:22 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Reads like the government money is for the Pfizer delivered vaccine and not the development.
In the long run does it really matter?
[Reply]
Monticore 01:23 PM 11-09-2020
To be honest, 90%+ effectiveness on the first try for a vaccine that is completed in less than a year might be one of mankind's greatest achievements. (Unless something catastrophic happens and it falls apart)

Science rules.
Haven't they been working on this since SARS? 2003?
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:26 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
In the long run does it really matter?
Certainly not to me
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:56 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
When the check is cut was not my point.
My point still stands. Pfizer isn't giving us shit for free. The taxpayer is paying them $40 a dose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. to pay Pfizer, BioNTech $1.95 billion for COVID-19 vaccine

(Reuters) - The U.S. government will pay nearly $2 billion to buy enough of a COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Pfizer Inc PFE.N and German biotech BioNTech SE 22UAy.F to innoculate 50 million people if it proves to be safe and effective, the companies said on Wednesday.

The contract for 100 million doses of the vaccine amounts to a $39 price tag for what is likely to be a two-dose course of treatment.
The contract is the most the United States has agreed to spend on a vaccine, although previous deals with other vaccine makers were intended to also help pay for development costs.

Pfizer and BioNTech will not receive any money from the government unless their vaccine succeeds in large clinical trials and can be successfully manufactured, according to a Pfizer spokeswoman.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:57 PM 11-09-2020

Science rules.
Back when we were hearing that 50 to 70 percent effectiveness was the minimum standard, I was thinking that I'm not sure 50 percent changes my way of life.

But then I realized something that I want to check with you all since you're the experts I hang out with the most. Let's go with the 90 percent number as an example.

If the vaccine is 90 percent effective, that doesn't just mean that my odds of getting the 'vid go down 90 percent. The 90 percent affects me, but also everyone in the chain that is bringing the 'vid to me. So in a world where everyone is vaccinated, then the person who would have given it to me is also 90 percent less likely to be carrying it because he/she gets the same benefit, and then it cascades further upstream in the same manner, lowering the odds by 90 percent at each step in transmission. So in essence, the vaccine cuts my odds by 90 percent if I'm exposed, but it also essentially cuts the virus' R0 score by 90 percent, which means that transmission is going to slow or stop - most likely dying out.

Now, if we go back to normal we'll have a lot more exposure, and there'll still be some knuckleheads who aren't vaccinated, most likely. So there could still be some paths to getting it. But even those paths would be getting squelched heavily because they'll be undercut by vaccinated people. The only high risk would be running into a person who's hanging out with a lot of unvaccinated people where the virus is maintaining a high transmission rate, and then they'll give you a 10 percent chance of getting it.

So in other words, a 90 percent vaccine means that we'll be french-kissing strippers with no realistic worry as long as the vaccine is widely distributed. And that's kind of true even at a 50 percent vaccine given that it knocks off half of the R0.

Is my R0 application correct? It might be even more than a linear impact, but I think it's a linear impact given the R0 is inherently exponential.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:59 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Correct. They were not a part of Operation Warp Speed. Accepted no money to help with research and development.

Monetarily, they took all the risk. But..... they are getting a $2 BILLION contract from the US government if they successfully deliver the vaccine.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:09 PM 11-09-2020
Hispanic cases in JoCo are running at a 2.5-1 clip vs. Whites and around a 1.5-1 vs blacks.

Not sure what is going on in the community but they are taking it on the chin right now.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:12 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Hispanic cases in JoCo are running at a 2.5-1 clip vs. Whites and around a 1.5-1 vs blacks.

Not sure what is going on in the community but they are taking it on the chin right now.
We saw that out here back in the spring. It's likely a combination of many Hispanic households tending to be larger (e.g., multi-generational, lots of kids, etc.) and the fact that they are generally very social as a community (e.g., lots of big family gatherings for key events, etc.).

I just don't think they can "shut it down" well.
[Reply]
O.city 02:20 PM 11-09-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Back when we were hearing that 50 to 70 percent effectiveness was the minimum standard, I was thinking that I'm not sure 50 percent changes my way of life.

But then I realized something that I want to check with you all since you're the experts I hang out with the most. Let's go with the 90 percent number as an example.

If the vaccine is 90 percent effective, that doesn't just mean that my odds of getting the 'vid go down 90 percent. The 90 percent affects me, but also everyone in the chain that is bringing the 'vid to me. So in a world where everyone is vaccinated, then the person who would have given it to me is also 90 percent less likely to be carrying it because he/she gets the same benefit, and then it cascades further upstream in the same manner, lowering the odds by 90 percent at each step in transmission. So in essence, the vaccine cuts my odds by 90 percent if I'm exposed, but it also essentially cuts the virus' R0 score by 90 percent, which means that transmission is going to slow or stop - most likely dying out.

Now, if we go back to normal we'll have a lot more exposure, and there'll still be some knuckleheads who aren't vaccinated, most likely. So there could still be some paths to getting it. But even those paths would be getting squelched heavily because they'll be undercut by vaccinated people. The only high risk would be running into a person who's hanging out with a lot of unvaccinated people where the virus is maintaining a high transmission rate, and then they'll give you a 10 percent chance of getting it.

So in other words, a 90 percent vaccine means that we'll be french-kissing strippers with no realistic worry as long as the vaccine is widely distributed. And that's kind of true even at a 50 percent vaccine given that it knocks off half of the R0.

Is my R0 application correct? It might be even more than a linear impact, but I think it's a linear impact given the R0 is inherently exponential.
I don't think you need majority buy in to be honest. IF you could get say, half, it woudl essentially end this pandemic.
[Reply]
Page 3081 of 3903
« First < 2081258129813031307130773078307930803081 30823083308430853091313131813581 > Last »
Up