ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 62
« First < 34567 8910111757 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
cookster50 05:28 AM 03-22-2012
David Brin's Uplift War series is also awesome, well, the first couple books, then he switches focus from the main crew and it ends up not as good.
[Reply]
ChiefFripp 07:36 AM 03-22-2012
I've shied away from Fantasy and Sci-Fi lately but I've read a lot of Piers Anthony and R.A. Salvatore in the past. For Sci-Fi I like Burgess and Orwell .
[Reply]
Pants 08:07 AM 03-22-2012
Hey, Buck, if you have some time, maybe you could make a list of people highest recommendations in the OP? That would be so awesome. If you don't feel like doing it, that's totally cool too, bruh.
[Reply]
Buck 08:39 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Pants:
Hey, Buck, if you have some time, maybe you could make a list of people highest recommendations in the OP? That would be so awesome. If you don't feel like doing it, that's totally cool too, bruh.
I will do it this weekend.
[Reply]
Buck 08:41 PM 03-22-2012
From this point out everyone can give me up to 3 of their must-read book or series recommendations and I will put in the OP. They can be all sci-fi, all fantasy, or a combination.

I just don't want sci-fi to be ignored in this thread, remember that when making recommendations.

I don't want to put 50 books per person. So let me know the 1-3 you want under your name in the OP.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:53 PM 03-22-2012
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]
[Reply]
NewChief 08:57 PM 03-22-2012
Neal Stephenson Snow Crash for scifi/cyberpunk. . Song of ice and Fire for fantasy. Since you like YA type stuff, try Little Brother by Doctorow for another cyberpunk.
[Reply]
Buck 09:01 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Neal Stephenson Snow Crash for scifi/cyberpunk. . Song of ice and Fire for fantasy. Since you like YA type stuff, try Little Brother by Doctorow for another cyberpunk.
Are these the 3 books you want in the OP or are you just recommending books, I can't tell.

Wait, because I liked Ender's Game I like YA stuff?
[Reply]
NewChief 09:03 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
Are these the 3 books you want in the OP or are you just recommending books, I can't tell.

Wait, because I liked Ender's Game I like YA stuff?
Hunger Games is YA as well. Nothing wrong with it. I read a lot as well. They're action driven page turners and probably the most popular publishing market currently.
[Reply]
Buck 09:05 PM 03-22-2012
Hunger Games is YA as well. Nothing wrong with it. I read a lot as well. They're action driven page turners and probably the most popular publishing market currently.
Okay, but I've not once mentioned any desire to read it.
[Reply]
NewChief 09:06 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
Okay, but I've not once mentioned any desire to read it.
I thought you were a fan for some reason. Must be a different poster.
[Reply]
Buck 09:07 PM 03-22-2012
I thought you were a fan for some reason. Must be a different poster.
I didn't realize the other Charger fan was a member of CP.
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 09:36 PM 03-22-2012
Here's a pair of recommendations. Linky'ed to Amazon.com for more reviews if you are on the fence.

Sci-Fi: Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. The author is actually a psuedonym for a pair of somewhat well-known writers, one being GRRM's protege, Daniel Abraham. This book was included as a throwaway gift when I pre-ordered Abraham's new fantasy. It turned out to be much more readable and I'm eagerly awaiting part 2 now. Has bits of noir, space opera, hard sci-fi, and space chases mixed together. In other words, it's gooood.

Fantasy: Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Since you enjoy YA so much Hobb is the best female fantasy writer out there. This series isn't action-packed, and is a bit of a slow-burner at first, but don't let that deter you. Great concepts, fantastic world-building, and altogether emotionally riveting.
[Reply]
Buck 09:49 PM 03-22-2012
THANKS NEWCHIEF NOW I'M PEGGED INTO LOVING YA.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:21 PM 03-22-2012
Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series

Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)

Doc Smith's Lensman series

If those are taken:

Jack L. Chalker, any series

Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant, or Battle Circle (Sos the Rope, Var the Stick, Neq the Sword)

Orson Scott Card's series starting with Ender's Game, or the Tales Of Alvin Maker

Larry Niven's Ringworld series

Nothing from Ray Bradbury. He annoys the shit out of me typically

Asimov is a typical Russian author. Very dry
[Reply]
Page 7 of 62
« First < 34567 8910111757 > Last »
Up