ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 38
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:45 PM 12-21-2019
THIS WILL BE THE FINAL WORD IN THE STORY OF KATHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Disney Reportedly Wants Kathleen Kennedy Gone After Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Backlash

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...ampaign=buffer

Originally Posted by :
we’re now hearing that Kennedy may indeed be on her way out.

Sources close to WGTC – the same ones who said [SPOILERS] would die in The Rise of Skywalker and that [SPOILERS] would be revealed as a traitor, both of which were true – have told us that Disney wants Kathleen Kennedy gone from Lucasfilm and while it’s not set in stone just yet that she’s on her way out the door, from what we’ve been told, there’s a “95% chance” she won’t be with the company for much longer.

As for who would replace her, that remains unclear, but from what we’ve heard, it could be another woman so that the studio isn’t accused of mistreating women in power. But again, we weren’t given any names in regards to who may be stepping in once Kennedy is gone. Seeing as this intel comes to us from the same sources who also told us Rey is Palpatine’s [SPOILERS] though, which also turned out to be true, we have no reason to doubt it.

In short, the writing has been on the wall for a while now and with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker receiving such a mixed response from critics and fans and likely on course to underperform at the box office, it seems like it’s only a matter of time before Kennedy is replaced.

[Reply]
Barret 10:24 PM 12-21-2019
Hammock Parties, I am with you but let me play Devils advocate here for a second. Could Anakins saber called out to her because she is "the embodiment of all past jedi's" When she was down they all came to her to tell her to rise up.

I am just throwing this out because I am sure someone that is super in love with this story will find a way to justify it.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:33 PM 12-21-2019
Please don't try to justify Jar Jar Abrams horrible story decisions.

The main problem with Rey being a Palpatine is that it isn't logically feasible. It's not believable. The fucking Emperor, at the height of his powers as an old man who needed a cane to get around, was clapping cheeks, and his son was disobedient and Palpatine somehow let him get away, and this son had a daughter, and Palpatine let HER escape from his grasp, too?

No, just fucking no. Wrong. Stupid.

Jar Jar Abrams, of course, didn't even try to explain how any of this happened because it would have been too difficult and any explanation would have come off as stupid anyway. Come up with a stupid idea, you get stupid results, and you basically just have to say "FUCK IT" and throw CGI at the audience and hope they don't care.

And of course he did the same thing with Palpatine's return. No explanation. Just "HE'S BACK OMG" and who cares that it invalidates the OT and...FUCK!!!

Shit was so fucking stupid.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:12 AM 12-22-2019
There was no way to repair the whole thing after TLJ. It's a damn shame
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:51 AM 12-22-2019
So Rey is the daughter of a cloned Palpatine. Who is the skywalker mom?
[Reply]
Bowser 11:35 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
There was no way to repair the whole thing after TLJ. It's a damn shame
Yep.

I'm not going to attempt to defend JJ here, but the Rise of Skywalker was a mess due specifically to KK and RJ going full on SJW with The Last Jedi, and nobody can refute that. Abrams did all he could with what he was given, which wasn't much at all.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:35 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
So Rey is the daughter of a cloned Palpatine. Who is the skywalker mom?
Leia?
[Reply]
Rams Fan 11:42 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yep.

I'm not going to attempt to defend JJ here, but the Rise of Skywalker was a mess due specifically to KK and RJ going full on SJW with The Last Jedi, and nobody can refute that. Abrams did all he could with what he was given, which wasn't much at all.
I didn’t like TFA and liked TLJ and thought, while TLJ tried doing expanding on the story of TFA and doing things that were different and that a lot of people didn’t like, at least made some logical flow.

ROS didn’t do any of that. It completely undermined Anakin’s and Palpatine’s story arc while killing off the best part of the trilogy(Kylo).

There was no context that was earned for Palptine coming back and the Kylo/Rey lightsaber fight was just her fighting based off rage. I felt completely unemotionally attached from the fight.

Say what you will about TLJ, but the Kylo/Luke fight was earned. Kylo/Rey fight in TFA, while Rey shouldn’t have won, was warranted.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:48 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
I didn’t like TFA and liked TLJ and thought, while TLJ tried doing expanding on the story of TFA and doing things that were different and that a lot of people didn’t like, at least made some logical flow.

ROS didn’t do any of that. It completely undermined Anakin’s and Palpatine’s story arc while killing off the best part of the trilogy(Kylo).
Bringing back Palpatine was a mistake for what you are saying, but due to the disaster of TLJ they weren't given much of a choice in that regard.

TLJ was a beautiful looking film, and they did try to be bold and take the story in unexpected directions, but they gambled and failed on what they were putting out. Even without all the political and SJW angles, why in the hell would you kill off Snoke? The whole movie was a turd and didn't leave any foundation for RoS to build on.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 11:55 AM 12-22-2019
Bringing back Palpatine was a mistake for what you are saying, but due to the disaster of TLJ they weren't given much of a choice in that regard.

TLJ was a beautiful looking film, and they did try to be bold and take the story in unexpected directions, but they gambled and failed on what they were putting out. Even without all the political and SJW angles, why in the hell would you kill off Snoke? The whole movie was a turd and didn't leave any foundation for RoS to build on.
Killing Snoke would’ve been fine if a different approach was taken with regards to Kylo.

Imagine Kylo struggling to deal with being in charge of the First Order and having a conflict with Leia. I don’t think TLJ ruined ROS as much as Carrie Fisher dying did(which I believe they handled Leia well given the circumstances in ROS).

Instead, they took the cop out with Palpatine-who had no business being in the movie as his return wasn’t even brought up in the prior 2 films-to try to do something to advance the plot.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:08 PM 12-22-2019
The film was an epic disaster. While TLJ had its flaws, most notably the Holdo Manuever and the Finn/Rose jaunt to Canto Bight, Abrams RoS was just lazy.

IMO, anything would have been better than reincarnating The Emperor because it just destroys the entire narrative, from Anakin to Rey. And dedicating 80 minutes to retconning TLJ was just boring and dull.

But hey, Abrams got to make Rey a Skywalker, like he intended.

Whoopeee!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:47 PM 12-22-2019
Leia?
so it’s brother and sister kissing at the end?

I thought they said without a doubt, no room for wiggle room that Leia was not Rey’s Mom?

I remember that conversation when Leia hugged Rey after the mission and Solo’s death she ignored chuey. Everyone was like WTF? Chuey and Solo were best buds, Leia had know Chuey for 30+ years etc. why are you hugging the noob? If she’s not your daughter?
[Reply]
Bowser 01:51 PM 12-22-2019

I thought they said without a doubt, no room for wiggle room that Leia was not Rey’s Mom?

I remember that conversation when Leia hugged Rey after the mission and Solo’s death she ignored chuey. Everyone was like WTF? Chuey and Solo were best buds, Leia had know Chuey for 30+ years etc. why are you hugging the noob? If she’s not your daughter?
Ok, no to all of that. I think Rey took the Skywalker name on her own at the end, that's all. I didn't understand the question, lol
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:52 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
IMO, anything would have been better than reincarnating The Emperor because it just destroys the entire narrative, from Anakin to Rey. And dedicating 80 minutes to retconning TLJ was just boring and dull.

But hey, Abrams got to make Rey a Skywalker, like he intended.

Whoopeee!
Pretty sure you mean "yipeeeeeeeeeee!"

I actually buy the "adopted" Skywalker ending, I quite like it...but making her a Palpatine doesn't jive.

They should have stuck with the "you're nobody" narrative instead of trying to awkwardly shoehorn her into an existing family...it just makes everything too convoluted and unbelievable...especially seeing as how randomly selected force sensitive people seem to be, anyway.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:55 PM 12-22-2019

What? Weird posts.

Leia has nothing to do with Rey's lineage.

She's the daughter of Palpatine's son, who shockingly escaped the Empire's grasp and hid his offspring from the most powerful being in the galaxy!!!!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 38
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up