ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 660
< 12345 67891555105505 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***The Official MMA Thread***
KcMizzou 08:18 PM 07-08-2010
Excited about an upcoming fight? Want to make predictions, or just give people a heads-up that there are some fights on? We can do it here.

(Also a good place to complain, dicuss, and agrue about the outcomes)
[Reply]
TheGuardian 11:13 AM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I hope that fight takes place in the foreseeable future and Silva gets his ass handed to him.
Pretty sure it will. GSP has to fight Kosh and I think Silva has to fight Vitor next. If they both win (this is most likely) I think that's the fight that gets lined up and I see GSP dominating Silva pretty badly. It's obvious that a great wrestler (GSP is probably the best wrestler in all of MMA) that can get Silva down (check GSP's successful shoot percentage) will own Silva.

Silva obviously has a huge advantage on his feet and GSP is not exactly known for his chin, but as long as he can do what he usually does and not take that knock-out strike, he should own Silva badly.
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:31 AM 08-08-2010
im hoping vitor knocks silvas ass out.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:34 AM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
I don't think there is much doubt now that GSP would lay waste to Silva.
Bullshit.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 11:52 AM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Bullshit.
Silva got dominated last night against a good wrestler. Dan Henderson dominated Silva similarly in the first round, where Silva had no answer.

GSP is a better wrestler than either of those guys (which is saying something). If GSP can avoid taking one on the chin then he'll easily be able to take down Silva and ground n pound his ass all night. Pull your head out of your ass.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:34 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
Silva got dominated last night against a good wrestler. Dan Henderson dominated Silva similarly in the first round, where Silva had no answer.

GSP is a better wrestler than either of those guys (which is saying something). If GSP can avoid taking one on the chin then he'll easily be able to take down Silva and ground n pound his ass all night. Pull your head out of your ass.
GSP's shoots are just sick and are the best in the game. If Sonnen can whip his ass for 4 and 1/2 rounds GSP can do the same.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 01:02 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
GSP's shoots are just sick and are the best in the game. If Sonnen can whip his ass for 4 and 1/2 rounds GSP can do the same.
Like I said, if GSP can avoid Silva's knockout shots then he should dominate easily. As good as Silva looks standing, he looks equally as bad in a mounted position fighting from his back. Everyone has a weakness. That is most certainly Silva's.
[Reply]
Jim Jones 01:24 PM 08-08-2010
Silva is no way involved in that discussion after been beaten badly for that many rounds in a row like that. You could say it's GSP and nobody else, but I honestly think right now Bones Jones is that guy. It's just a matter of time before he proves it. I think GSP could move up to 185 and do the same thing to Silva that Connen did and probably stop it with a submission.

Don't forget Shogun won the pride grand prix beating HW's in the process. He has had some injury issues, but now that he is back at full strength I don't see him losing for some time, much less being man handled for 4-5 rounds like Silva wa.

Also what a bitch of an excuse Silva laid out there at the end for getting his ass kicked. He said he had a broken rib or some bullshit.
So how do you explain ranking Fedor in your top 5 after he just tapped out? Apparently in your world, tapping out early in a fight is more impressive than a come from behind win? Not sure I understand that logic.

I also think it's funny how you crucify Silva for his most recent fight, but then go and use Shogun fights from five years ago to defend putting him above Silva. Here's what we know about Shogun's recent body of work - he got tooled by Forrest Griffin and beat up on washed up Chuck Lidell and even more washed up Mark Coleman. Impressive, eh? Now the two fights with Machida ARE impressive and he's certainly worthy of being ranked as one of the top fighters in the world, but looking at that resume and then telling me that he's been more dominant than Silva is laughable at best. Almost as laughable as ranking Jon Jones as one of the top 5 pound-for-pound fighters, and ABOVE ANDERSON SILVA. Are you kidding me? He's a great prospect, but let him accomplish something first before you crown his ass.

Sonnen fought the perfect fight and Silva had an off night, whether it was the ribs or something else, who knows. But a win is a win and Silva showed what an amazing fighter he really is by hanging in there, withstanding the punishment and finding a way to pull out the victory. Was it his best performance? No, but the logic that an ugly win drops him below guys who have had much uglier LOSSES in recent memory is completely ridiculous.
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 02:54 PM 08-08-2010
Great fight and card. As for Silva in the p4p, he has now gone about six years without a legit loss (the Okami fight was a DQ for knocking Okami out while he was in Silva's guard with his heel). That's edging close to Fedor territory. If Silva isn't on a p4p list, then it is incomplete. Plain and simple.
[Reply]
ArrowheadHawk 03:34 PM 08-08-2010
Finally something we agree upon. It's either 50-45 GSP or Silva Taps.

Anybody else as impressed with Bones Jones as I am? I think he might be the GSP of the LW division for years to come.
Yep. Bones has quickly become one of my favorite fighters.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:08 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by Jim Jones:
So how do you explain ranking Fedor in your top 5 after he just tapped out? Apparently in your world, tapping out early in a fight is more impressive than a come from behind win? Not sure I understand that logic.

I also think it's funny how you crucify Silva for his most recent fight, but then go and use Shogun fights from five years ago to defend putting him above Silva. Here's what we know about Shogun's recent body of work - he got tooled by Forrest Griffin and beat up on washed up Chuck Lidell and even more washed up Mark Coleman. Impressive, eh? Now the two fights with Machida ARE impressive and he's certainly worthy of being ranked as one of the top fighters in the world, but looking at that resume and then telling me that he's been more dominant than Silva is laughable at best. Almost as laughable as ranking Jon Jones as one of the top 5 pound-for-pound fighters, and ABOVE ANDERSON SILVA. Are you kidding me? He's a great prospect, but let him accomplish something first before you crown his ass.

Sonnen fought the perfect fight and Silva had an off night, whether it was the ribs or something else, who knows. But a win is a win and Silva showed what an amazing fighter he really is by hanging in there, withstanding the punishment and finding a way to pull out the victory. Was it his best performance? No, but the logic that an ugly win drops him below guys who have had much uglier LOSSES in recent memory is completely ridiculous.
Because Fedor has only 1 career loss and he didn't get dominated for nearly 5 rounds of a fight only to pull one out of his ass at the end. I don't think he is the same dude he was 5 years ago, but he still should be considered a P4P elite.

Shogun has a great resume. 2 Wins over Overeem, a win over a prime Rampage, Little Nog, Arona, etc.... He obviously wasn't the same guy when he first showed up in UFC that he was in Pride. He is also fighting in a much more difficult weight class. Silva fights at the weakest weight class in MMA, probably because he knows he would get his ass handed to him against the elite LH's.

If it had been a close fight throughout then yeah, I say great fight great win, but to get dominated for 23 minutes and then pull one out your ass is less then impressive. Sonnen is obviously the better fighter despite the outcome. I don't know what the hell got into him that has made him improve so much in the year or so, but right now he is the top 185lber in the world in my eyes. He dominated Marquardt, Miller, Okaimi, and Silva in his last 4 fights. Maybe Shields, I don't know.

Jones has destroyed every guy put in front of him so far and I would say Hamill and Vera are both top 15 LHW's in the world. Neither had a chance against the guy. I'm really not sure what the hold up is on him. Then need a fight with him against Machida, Franklin, or Thiago Silva for a shot at Shogun once he puts Rashad to sleep. Although a 3rd Machida-Shogun fight would be worthless since Shogun beat him twice already.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 08:19 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by :
he got tooled by Forrest Griffin and beat up on washed up Chuck Lidell and even more washed up Mark Coleman.
OMG. He fought Forrest on a completely bum knee. EVERYONE knows that. The guy could barely walk. He then ran through Machida TWICE (everyone knows that first loss was bullshit). And he'd walk through Silva if silva had the nuts to go to 205 to face him.

I still rank Silva one of the best, but he has most def been exposed as having trouble with great wrestlers and fighting from off his back. This can't be disputed. I also think you have to rank him easily below GSP in the best P4P fighter department.
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 08:40 PM 08-08-2010
Sonnen is talented but A) he hasn't finished a fight in 3 years and never in the UFC, and B) he gets caught by slick BJJ guys. Seems like par for the course. Obviously better? Nope.

You can't write off Silva for nearly getting decision-ed by a wrestle-fucker extraordinaire like Sonnen (I mean that as a compliment, btw). Just like you couldn't write off GSP after getting da riddum knocked out of him by Serra.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:02 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by TrickyNicky:
Sonnen is talented but A) he hasn't finished a fight in 3 years and never in the UFC, and B) he gets caught by slick BJJ guys. Seems like par for the course. Obviously better? Nope.

You can't write off Silva for nearly getting decision-ed by a wrestle-****er extraordinaire like Sonnen (I mean that as a compliment, btw). Just like you couldn't write off GSP after getting da riddum knocked out of him by Serra.
My issue is that anybody can get caught with a lucky punch, but have you ever seen GSP or Fedor manhandled like that for over 20 minutes. Yes, he irked out a win, but it wasn't like it was even a close fight before that. That could have been a 50-43 fight on those cards. I don't even think Silva forced a stand up once in those 20 some minutes on his back.
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 10:35 PM 08-08-2010
Silva wasn't 100%, either by alleged injury or because he hasn't trained very hard the past few fights. (see: the Maia shenanigans, or training with Steven fucking Seagal)

Fedor takes stupid amounts of damage in his fights and takes risks, just because he hasn't come across a dominating wrestler with a gas tank is probably the reason he hasn't been on his back for 20 minutes. The Hammer House guys weren't chumps, but even in their MMA primes they weren't in the same league as guys like Velasquez and Lesnar.

GSP takes very few risks ever since Matt Hughes caught him in that armbar. He outclasses everyone in technical grappling. It will be interesting to see if he can resist Kos' takedowns, and down the road, match up with Jake Shields, who has a similar game.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 08:04 AM 08-09-2010
First off, no one is 100% going into a fight. Sparring, mat work, lifting, conditioning, everything takes a toll. Lots of guys win fights nicked up and dinged. They only talk about the injuries when they lose.

Silva has most definitely been exposed. All it takes is one guy. To get dominated the way he did is a real eye opener.

As far as him catching Sonnen, that was more Sonnen's fault than some "slick" BJJ by Silva. Sonnen postured up and left his hands in a lazy position. This is shit you learn in the first week of ground fighting. Truth is all Sonnon had to do was lay on Silva for the 5th round and he's the champ but he chose to fight and I respect that. Silva's reign as champ will be coming to an end soon.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 660
< 12345 67891555105505 > Last »
Up