ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Happy Birthday Marty Schottenheimer!
gblowfish 02:30 PM 09-24-2020
77 years old today. There's a gleam men....a gleam....
[Reply]
backinblack 05:26 PM 09-24-2020
I'm buzzin, dirty dozen, naughty rotten rhymer, cursin' at you players worse than Marty Schottenheimer
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 05:34 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
While he certainly didn't help himself out, I may ask God what the idea was behind Byner and McCree's fumble's, because that **** just felt like straight up divine intervention. While Marty did freeze up a bit in the playoffs, that type of fate was just cruel.
Yeah that was some of the worst luck in the history of NFL playoffs that i can think of.I guess we'll have to chalk it up to,well it was Cleveland.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:07 PM 09-24-2020
Whatever old gripes we have, for many like myself his era was when things finally got reeeal interesting... he brought excitement and legitimacy back to this franchise

HBD Marty, love ya!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:12 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
77 years old today. There's a gleam men....a gleam....

God bless him! Happy Birthday!
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:14 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
His dementia and interviews are just crushing. He was a good coach hampered by occasional bad decisions but I felt elevated the talent of most of his players.
He won everywhere he went. A mark of a great coach.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:16 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Catches way too much shit here sometimes. Loved that era of Chiefs football. I've noticed a lot of very smart men are susceptible to Alzheimer's.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, a lot of guys here don't remember the "fun time" BEFORE Marty and King Carl.....Yeah, they had their unfortunate circumstances, but those two brought KC Football back to absolute relevance. A Phoenix, risen from the ashes of Memorial stadium.......

When those two got here, I was thrilled to death. Finally getting rid of the "good old days"..

I wish Marty would have made it to the big dance, but damn, the ride was fun!
[Reply]
ChiTown 07:01 PM 09-24-2020
HBD, Marty!

Great human being and a helluva Coach. Forever grateful for his time in KC.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:53 PM 09-24-2020
Usually roll well with the times, but in 2020 the 90s looks pretty sweet. Marty and 58, you're missed.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:36 PM 09-24-2020
Happy bday Marty! Forever a Chiefs legend!
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 02:44 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Yeah that was some of the worst luck in the history of NFL playoffs that i can think of.I guess we'll have to chalk it up to,well it was Cleveland.
There is an NFL Films clip of Marty before a playoff game between the Chargers and the Patriots. He is going up to every member of the secondary and telling them that when they make the game clenching interception, to just go down.

This is how cursed Marty was in the playoffs. They intercept Tom Brady, and are going to host the AFC Championship game, after going 14-2 in the regular season. I believe it was the year that LT scored 31 touchdowns. But, instead of going down, the DB tries to run the ball back, and is stripped by Troy Brown, and the Patriots recover the ball, and go on to a come from behind victory.

I believe the Chargers were the best team in football that year. LT was pretty unstoppable, and I think they probably beat the 12-4 Colts to go to the Super Bowl. And I think they would have beaten the Rex Grossman led 13-3 Chicago Bears to win the Super Bowl.

Marty literally told the secondary to just go down after the game clenching interception, and some idiot DB named Marlon McCree tries to be a hero, gets stripped, and becomes another sad footnote in the tragic playoff history of Marty Schottenheimer, along with Ernest Byner and Lin Elliot.

I suffered through Marv Levy, John Mackovic, and Frank Gansz, who won a combined 69 games between 1978 and 1988.

Levy was 31-42 as the Chiefs Head Coach.

John Mackovic was 30-34 as the Chiefs Head Coach

Frank Gansz was 8-22-1 as the Chiefs Head Coach

That's a 69-98-1 record between them.

So, I will always love Marty Schottenheimer, who was 101-58-1 as the Chiefs Head Coach.

Yeah, the 1995 playoff loss stained my soul, and the 1997 playoff loss made me feel empty inside. But, Marty helped my team, The Kansas City Chiefs, rise above being a cellar dwelling laughingstock, and turned them into a perennial playoff team.

And Marty gave me 2 home playoff wins, plus the magical run to the 1993 AFC Championship game, which included Joe Montana beating the Pittsburgh Steelers in dramatic fashion in Arrowhead, and a thrilling road victory against the run and shoot Houston Oilers and their Buddy Ryan led defense.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Otter 06:07 AM 09-25-2020
Happy Birthday Big Guy!
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 11:34 AM 09-25-2020
Great regular season coach who shifted gears into "play to not lose" instead of doing what got him there. Always nail biters, coming down to kickers he put trust in that never came through.

Its a shame that his mind is so ravaged with this disease that he often doesnt even know where he lives. He deserved a lot better.

Greatest motivational speaker coach that Ive ever seen. A couple of REALLY poor decisions kept him from reaching the ultimate goal.

Every time Marty is mentioned, Grbac over Gannon always just comes rushing back. Marty was a "You dont lose your job to injury" coach. It cost him.

Not going to Gannon sooner when Bono couldnt hit the side of a barn is close second. I see that ball just inches from Lake Dawsons fingertips in the endzone every time.
[Reply]
PHOG 11:37 AM 09-25-2020
Happy Belated Birthday! :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:53 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, a lot of guys here don't remember the "fun time" BEFORE Marty and King Carl.....Yeah, they had their unfortunate circumstances, but those two brought KC Football back to absolute relevance. A Phoenix, risen from the ashes of Memorial stadium.......

When those two got here, I was thrilled to death. Finally getting rid of the "good old days"..

I wish Marty would have made it to the big dance, but damn, the ride was fun!
Unfortunately for Marty, he was successful in Cleveland and KC right as the Tecmo Bowl phenomena crashed into Gen X video game kids everywhere.

There are people my age on this board that have zero connection to KC other than Christian Okoye, Derrick Thomas, and Marty Schottenheimer on those early NFL video games.

We don't remember the "fun times" before Marty and without that context, the playoff failures became the "fun times" for us.

It's also not Marty's fault that he left probably a year too late and Carl didn't go with him. The feeble attempt to prolong the Marty years by hiring Gunther was more than a lot of us could stomach.

It's really hard for me to remember the Marty years fondly. The disappointment of being "so close but yet so far" is just so strong and I was a young boy then.

That being said, I have a newfound respect for Marty thanks to Andy Reid and the dark Herm/Pioli days that came before him.
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:56 AM 09-25-2020
All of Horse Face's personal glory was at Marty's expense. All of it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up