ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: The first mass market Covid-19 vaccine in America will be created by...
Astrazeneca/University of Oxford (Viral Vector Vaccine – Great Britain) 12 16.67%
BioNTech/Pfizer (Genetic Vaccine – Europe) 3 4.17%
CanSino Biologics/China Academy of Military Medical Science (Viral Vector Vaccine - China) 0 0%
CureVac/Gates Foundation (Genetic Vaccine - Germany) 2 2.78%
Gamaleya Research Institute/Russia Ministry of Health (Viral Vector Vaccine - Russia) 3 4.17%
Johnson & Johnson/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Viral Vector Vaccine - USA) 3 4.17%
Moderna/National Institute of Health (Genetic Vaccine - USA) 17 23.61%
Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (Repurposed Vaccine – Australia) 0 0%
North Korea State Commission on Science and Technology (Protein-Based and most likely completely fictional Vaccine – North Korea) 3 4.17%
Novavax (Protein-Based Vaccine - USA) 1 1.39%
Sinopharm/Wuhan Institute of Biological Products (Whole-Virus Vaccine – China) 0 0%
Sinovac (Whole-Virus Vaccine - China) 0 0%
Someone else (based in the United States) 5 6.94%
Someone else (based in Europe) 0 0%
Someone else (based in China) 2 2.78%
Someone else (based in some other country not mentioned above) 0 0%
I don't think there'll ever be a vaccine created 1 1.39%
I don't care, because I'll never take a vaccine. 7 9.72%
I don't know. Do I look like an expert on viral vaccine development to you? 13 18.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Who will produce the first mass Covid vaccine?
Rain Man 07:03 PM 08-16-2020
Who's going to be the first to mass market in the USA? Cast your public vote in the poll. Here are the rules to determine the winner.

1. We're the USA. We don't care if the Chinese or Russians or North Koreans stick stuff in their people. Only the USA counts.

2. It'll be hard to get exact figures, but as a general rule let's count the winner as the first organization that gets vaccinations inside the bodies of 25 million Americans in at least 25 different states.

I'll include what I think are the leading contenders in the poll, and you can read about them here, as of August 16th, 2020:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...avirus-vaccine

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...stitute%20one.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:58 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The mRNa vaccines (and use in cancer treatment) will really change the game if things work like they're looking like they will.

I'm hopeful they're successful.
That's all well and good but I'm not injecting "hopes" and "ifs" into my body unless there's no other alternative.

Like I said, gimme one of the more traditional approaches first and if that doesn't work, we'll talk.
[Reply]
O.city 08:06 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That's all well and good but I'm not injecting "hopes" and "ifs" into my body unless there's no other alternative.

Like I said, gimme one of the more traditional approaches first and if that doesn't work, we'll talk.
They've been testing them for years. The issue with traditional ones is you have to grow that much of the virus and what not.

This is alot easier.

It's not hopes and ifs. If it makes it thru phase 3 well, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:09 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
They've been testing them for years. The issue with traditional ones is you have to grow that much of the virus and what not.

This is alot easier.

It's not hopes and ifs. If it makes it thru phase 3 well, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Testing is testing. They've never been used in a general population.

I appreciate the potential benefits and I'm glad that works for you. It simply doesn't work for me. :-)
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:16 AM 09-25-2020
With AstraZeneca's vaccine trial still on pause in US, questions abound about study participants' mysterious illnesses

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/healt...fda/index.html
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:22 AM 09-25-2020
Hopefully nobody. They haven't cured the common cold or the flu so what makes anyone believe they can cure this "invisible enemy"?:-)
[Reply]
O.city 10:26 AM 09-25-2020
The common cold doesn't kill people and effect the world like this. The rest of that is just ignorant.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:31 AM 09-25-2020
Oxford notes that as of September 12, "globally some 18,000 individuals have received study vaccines as part of the trial. In large trials such as this, it is expected that some participants will become unwell and every case must be carefully evaluated to ensure careful assessment of safety."

AstraZeneca told the media that the first volunteer who became ill had "an undiagnosed case of multiple sclerosis," but information on the Oxford website describes volunteers who developed "unexplained neurological symptoms." The company has stated that the second volunteer had "an unexplained illness" but an internal company document, which was labeled as "initial," states that at least at one point, she had a rare neurological condition called transverse myelitis.

---

So how many people do they have under investigation? The article only mentions 2, one of which had an undiagnosed condition not related to the vaccine
[Reply]
Eureka 10:34 AM 09-25-2020
That's just way too simplistic of a label.

That's like saying that Delaware and Arizona are homogeneous.

Russia is Eastern European on one end and Asian on the other.
I was referencing CNN because they introduced VP Kamala Harris a few weeks back they labeled her first African American/South Asian (her mother is from India).

I get what you're saying and also this is not a political thread.

Regarding this thread - Immune system>Vaccine
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:42 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Oxford notes that as of September 12, "globally some 18,000 individuals have received study vaccines as part of the trial. In large trials such as this, it is expected that some participants will become unwell and every case must be carefully evaluated to ensure careful assessment of safety."

AstraZeneca told the media that the first volunteer who became ill had "an undiagnosed case of multiple sclerosis," but information on the Oxford website describes volunteers who developed "unexplained neurological symptoms." The company has stated that the second volunteer had "an unexplained illness" but an internal company document, which was labeled as "initial," states that at least at one point, she had a rare neurological condition called transverse myelitis.

---

So how many people do they have under investigation? The article only mentions 2, one of which had an undiagnosed condition not related to the vaccine

I would assume it's the 18,000 cited in the first paragraph. So 2 out of 18,000 have become seriously ill, and the question is whether it's related to the vaccine.

I guess it's also possible that not all of the 18,000 have completed the test, too. So there could be some adverse reactions not yet recorded.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:48 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
I was referencing CNN because they introduced VP Kamala Harris a few weeks back they labeled her first African American/South Asian (her mother is from India).

I get what you're saying and also this is not a political thread.

Regarding this thread - Immune system>Vaccine
I guess I'm missing something.

The populace of western Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, et all are genetically very different from Eastern Asia / Russia. Therefore, we're talking, generally, about immune systems being different.

Unless you're talking that "politically" Russia is viewed an Asian nation.

Don't mind me, I'm obviously clueless.
[Reply]
Eureka 10:55 AM 09-25-2020
I guess I'm missing something.

The populace of western Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, et all are genetically very different from Eastern Asia / Russia. Therefore, we're talking, generally, about immune systems being different.

Unless you're talking that "politically" Russia is viewed an Asian nation.

Don't mind me, I'm obviously clueless.
Me too. Welcome to the club. :-)
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:21 AM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:

---

From the article:

"In an information sheet given to study participants, the University of Oxford mentions "volunteers" who developed neurological symptoms, but does not specify how many.

When CNN asked how many study participants had developed neurological problems, AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford declined to answer."

We know it's at least two, but we don't know the actual number.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:49 PM 09-25-2020
Is it true that the current survival rate for those under 70 years old is 99.5%? If that is true, why would anyone be in a rush to take a vaccine that hasn’t been time-tested?
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:05 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Is it true that the current survival rate for those under 70 years old is 99.5%? If that is true, why would anyone be in a rush to take a vaccine that hasn’t been time-tested?
Have we seen any stats that show something like ...

% with minor symptoms that go away quickly
% with minor symptoms that linger 90+ days
% with major symptoms that go away quickly
% with major symptoms that linger 90+ days
% dying

The fifth group is obviously the worst one, but I keep seeing stories about the fourth group, and I don't want any part of that outcome either. But I don't know if the fourth group is 0.1 percent or 10 percent. I saw some news story this week about a guy who just got out of the hospital and he was admitted in March. The guy went through a lot of bad stuff but he won't count in the death stats.

I don't know if the second group exists, but it would be a bummer as well.

My reason for responding to your post is that I think bad outcomes are more than just death, but I don't know how common the bad outcomes are. I haven't been tracking the stats like others, so can anyone clue me in?
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 07:52 AM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Yeah, that’s not how it works.

Injecting DNA fragments from a vaccine don’t go into a cell nucleus to change genetic makeup.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN22U2BZ
A fact-checker funded by Facebook. What could go wrong?
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up